hard drive recovery

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a clicking drive that will need professional recovery. Can anywone
recommend a service provider? I can get quotes from a few places that come
up on google, but I'd prefer recomendations.

Bob

In article <uv52nl8gEHA.2928@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
Bob <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>I have a clicking drive that will need professional recovery. Can anywone
>recommend a service provider? I can get quotes from a few places that come
>up on google, but I'd prefer recomendations.
>
>Bob

http://www.ontrack.com/

I've had a client use them to recover data from a crashed server disk.
Very satisfactory. It would have been unnecessary if they'd changed
tapes once in a while.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

You mean you need more than 5! (-:

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> In article <uv52nl8gEHA.2928@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
> Bob <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>I have a clicking drive that will need professional recovery. Can anywone
>>recommend a service provider? I can get quotes from a few places that come
>>up on google, but I'd prefer recomendations.
>>
>>Bob
>>

> http://www.ontrack.com/
>
> I've had a client use them to recover data from a crashed server disk.
> Very satisfactory. It would have been unnecessary if they'd changed
> tapes once in a while.
>
> --
> Al Dykes
> -----------
> adykes at p a n i x . c o m

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> http://www.ontrack.com/
>
> I've had a client use them to recover data from a crashed server disk.
> Very satisfactory. It would have been unnecessary if they'd changed
> tapes once in a while.

My eyes boggled when I saw the picture of the burnt up Columbia hard drive.
NASA uses them, and their prices are about the same as the others?! Looks
like a no-brainer. Thanks!

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I suppose I should have checked what was in the Dell box, even though as a
rule we never build our own computers here. Hitachi bought out IBM's hard
drive division, but the name remains the same, 'Deskstar'. They've had n
generations of hard drives to fix what users report as terrible reliability
problems, but apparently these drives still deserve the "Deathstar" moniker.
We have maybe the 10 or 20 more of these babies running at this site right
now. I think I'll get everyone to back up their data and look into that
class action lawsuit against IBM. I want blood, but I'll settle for cash to
get all those drives replaced.

Bob

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Bob" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I suppose I should have checked what was in the Dell box, even though as a

Modification to my last statement, I don't want to unfairly impugn Dell. I
found out this morning that the Deathstar I pulled out of my machine was not
the original drive.