keyboard hotkeys "reassigned"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm using a USB MS Internet Keyboard Pro with XP for sometime now. Since
yesterday, it seems to have assigned strange shortcut keys. Left Ctrl opens
IE and left Windows key opens OE. The right side seems to be OK. I
uninstalled the Intellitype software on the off chance that it might help.
I attached a regular PS2 KB on which I'm working now, and everything is
normal. What could be causing this glitch? I thought about a system
restore, but this replacement KB seems to rule out any reason for that. Any
input would be appreciated. TIA PaulG
4 answers Last reply
More about keyboard hotkeys reassigned
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I'd suggest uninstalling any intellitype software you had installed and
    install the new 5.2 drivers. It just sounds like a special button
    mapping gone awry ;)

    Drivers:
    www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    PaulG wrote:
    > I'm using a USB MS Internet Keyboard Pro with XP for sometime now. Since
    > yesterday, it seems to have assigned strange shortcut keys. Left Ctrl opens
    > IE and left Windows key opens OE. The right side seems to be OK. I
    > uninstalled the Intellitype software on the off chance that it might help.
    > I attached a regular PS2 KB on which I'm working now, and everything is
    > normal. What could be causing this glitch? I thought about a system
    > restore, but this replacement KB seems to rule out any reason for that. Any
    > input would be appreciated. TIA PaulG

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Nathan - This question may be right up your alley. I have XP home with MS
    office 2003 basic (outlook express, word, excel). I just installed MS Office
    2000 but just for Powerpoint (everything else was unchecked). Now the
    shortcut button on my wireless keyboard for 'mail' does not work (but all the
    other ones do (for 'my computer, 'calculator', etc..) Any ideas on how to fix
    this with out doing a restore??? Thanks - Russ

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > I'd suggest uninstalling any intellitype software you had installed and
    > install the new 5.2 drivers. It just sounds like a special button
    > mapping gone awry ;)
    >
    > Drivers:
    > www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > PaulG wrote:
    > > I'm using a USB MS Internet Keyboard Pro with XP for sometime now. Since
    > > yesterday, it seems to have assigned strange shortcut keys. Left Ctrl opens
    > > IE and left Windows key opens OE. The right side seems to be OK. I
    > > uninstalled the Intellitype software on the off chance that it might help.
    > > I attached a regular PS2 KB on which I'm working now, and everything is
    > > normal. What could be causing this glitch? I thought about a system
    > > restore, but this replacement KB seems to rule out any reason for that. Any
    > > input would be appreciated. TIA PaulG

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Reinstall the 2003, BTW OFFICE has OUTLOOK, Windows includes
    Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

    "Russ Mort" <Russ Mort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | Nathan - This question may be right up your alley. I
    have XP home with MS
    | office 2003 basic (outlook express, word, excel). I just
    installed MS Office
    | 2000 but just for Powerpoint (everything else was
    unchecked). Now the
    | shortcut button on my wireless keyboard for 'mail' does
    not work (but all the
    | other ones do (for 'my computer, 'calculator', etc..) Any
    ideas on how to fix
    | this with out doing a restore??? Thanks - Russ
    |
    | "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    |
    | > I'd suggest uninstalling any intellitype software you
    had installed and
    | > install the new 5.2 drivers. It just sounds like a
    special button
    | > mapping gone awry ;)
    | >
    | > Drivers:

    www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx

    | > ----
    | > Nathan McNulty
    | >

    | > PaulG wrote:
    | > > I'm using a USB MS Internet Keyboard Pro with XP for
    sometime now. Since
    | > > yesterday, it seems to have assigned strange shortcut
    keys. Left Ctrl opens
    | > > IE and left Windows key opens OE. The right side
    seems to be OK. I
    | > > uninstalled the Intellitype software on the off chance
    that it might help.
    | > > I attached a regular PS2 KB on which I'm working now,
    and everything is
    | > > normal. What could be causing this glitch? I thought
    about a system
    | > > restore, but this replacement KB seems to rule out any
    reason for that. Any
    | > > input would be appreciated. TIA PaulG

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Actually, 2003 Basic does not come with PowerPoint which is what the OP
    wants. The Mail button on your keyboard will launch whatever you have
    defined (or if you haven't defined anything, then it will launch the
    default mail application).

    Go Start-Control Panel-Keyboard-Key Settings. Select Mail, click edit,
    then make it do whatever you want. If this doesn't work, try
    reinstalling the drivers agian, then try it.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

Microsoft Keyboards Windows XP