K8N-E Deluxe ......... No Sound ......... Question About B..

Hi folks................

I love this board! It's fast-n-stable! All sorts of
goodies...including the software. This is my first Asus.

But, I cannot get audio out of it. I've tried everything I can think
of......at least twice. Updated drivers, default BIOS settings,
Soundman diagnostics, etc.

I finally gave up and bought a cheap Creative PCI card. I just want
sound......nothing fancy. I installed the card and loaded the drivers.
It looks fine in WinXP Device Manager.....as did the onboard audio
device, but I cannot get any sound out of the card either! I've
tried changing PCI slots, retested the speakers.......nothing!

My only guess now is that the onboard port is bad and I didn't fully
disable it in the BIOS.

Can someone please tell me where I have to go in the BIOS settings to
completely disable the onboard sound......so I can rule that out as
the problem.

If you can help me solve this mystery, I'll dance at your wedding or
give you my third-born.......whichever comes first! :--)
PALADIN
12 answers Last reply
More about deluxe sound question

    "Paladin" <Paladin@Dodge.City> wrote in message
    > Hi folks................
    >
    > I love this board! It's fast-n-stable! All sorts of
    > goodies...including the software. This is my first Asus.
    >
    > But, I cannot get audio out of it. I've tried everything I can think
    > of......at least twice. Updated drivers, default BIOS settings,
    > Soundman diagnostics, etc.
    >
    > I finally gave up and bought a cheap Creative PCI card. I just want
    > sound......nothing fancy. I installed the card and loaded the drivers.
    > It looks fine in WinXP Device Manager.....as did the onboard audio
    > device, but I cannot get any sound out of the card either! I've
    > tried changing PCI slots, retested the speakers.......nothing!
    >
    > My only guess now is that the onboard port is bad and I didn't fully
    > disable it in the BIOS.
    >
    > Can someone please tell me where I have to go in the BIOS settings to
    > completely disable the onboard sound......so I can rule that out as
    > the problem.
    >
    > If you can help me solve this mystery, I'll dance at your wedding or
    > give you my third-born.......whichever comes first! :--)
    > PALADIN

    Is the windows audio service being started? Goto control panel,
    administrative tools,
    services. You won't get any sound in XP if it isn't.

    Jim M

    plug some speakers in... but make sure you put them in the right jack

    "Paladin" <Paladin@Dodge.City> wrote in message
    > Hi folks................
    >
    > I love this board! It's fast-n-stable! All sorts of
    > goodies...including the software. This is my first Asus.
    >
    > But, I cannot get audio out of it. I've tried everything I can think
    > of......at least twice. Updated drivers, default BIOS settings,
    > Soundman diagnostics, etc.
    >
    > I finally gave up and bought a cheap Creative PCI card. I just want
    > sound......nothing fancy. I installed the card and loaded the drivers.
    > It looks fine in WinXP Device Manager.....as did the onboard audio
    > device, but I cannot get any sound out of the card either! I've
    > tried changing PCI slots, retested the speakers.......nothing!
    >
    > My only guess now is that the onboard port is bad and I didn't fully
    > disable it in the BIOS.
    >
    > Can someone please tell me where I have to go in the BIOS settings to
    > completely disable the onboard sound......so I can rule that out as
    > the problem.
    >
    > If you can help me solve this mystery, I'll dance at your wedding or
    > give you my third-born.......whichever comes first! :--)
    > PALADIN

    In the Bios under Advanced/Chipset Configuration you'll notice Audio
    Codecs....set it to disabled and reboot. Windows should recognize your PCI
    soundcard and ask for the drivers....HTH

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:18:32 GMT, "Dave" <nada@nowhere.org> wrote:

    >In the Bios under Advanced/Chipset Configuration you'll notice Audio
    >Codecs....set it to disabled and reboot. Windows should recognize your PCI
    >soundcard and ask for the drivers....HTH

    Dave.............

    I did that. When I rebooted, XP correctly ID'd the card, I installed
    the drivers, and it showed up fine in Device Manager.......but no
    sound.

    PALADIN

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:02:26 -0700, "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >"Paladin" <Paladin@Dodge.City> wrote in message
    >> Hi folks................
    >>
    >> I love this board! It's fast-n-stable! All sorts of
    >> goodies...including the software. This is my first Asus.
    >>
    >> But, I cannot get audio out of it. I've tried everything I can think
    >> of......at least twice. Updated drivers, default BIOS settings,
    >> Soundman diagnostics, etc.
    >>
    >> I finally gave up and bought a cheap Creative PCI card. I just want
    >> sound......nothing fancy. I installed the card and loaded the drivers.
    >> It looks fine in WinXP Device Manager.....as did the onboard audio
    >> device, but I cannot get any sound out of the card either! I've
    >> tried changing PCI slots, retested the speakers.......nothing!
    >>
    >> My only guess now is that the onboard port is bad and I didn't fully
    >> disable it in the BIOS.
    >>
    >> Can someone please tell me where I have to go in the BIOS settings to
    >> completely disable the onboard sound......so I can rule that out as
    >> the problem.
    >>
    >> If you can help me solve this mystery, I'll dance at your wedding or
    >> give you my third-born.......whichever comes first! :--)
    >> PALADIN
    >

    >Is the windows audio service being started? Goto control panel,
    >administrative tools,
    >services. You won't get any sound in XP if it isn't.
    >
    >Jim M

    Jim.........

    I just checked..............it's started and set to "automatic".

    PALADIN

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:11:15 -0500, "Mike" <mike@poolsters.on.ca>
    wrote:

    >plug some speakers in... but make sure you put them in the right jack
    >
    >"Paladin" <Paladin@Dodge.City> wrote in message
    >> Hi folks................
    >>
    >> I love this board! It's fast-n-stable! All sorts of
    >> goodies...including the software. This is my first Asus.
    >>
    >> But, I cannot get audio out of it. I've tried everything I can think
    >> of......at least twice. Updated drivers, default BIOS settings,
    >> Soundman diagnostics, etc.
    >>
    >> I finally gave up and bought a cheap Creative PCI card. I just want
    >> sound......nothing fancy. I installed the card and loaded the drivers.
    >> It looks fine in WinXP Device Manager.....as did the onboard audio
    >> device, but I cannot get any sound out of the card either! I've
    >> tried changing PCI slots, retested the speakers.......nothing!
    >>
    >> My only guess now is that the onboard port is bad and I didn't fully
    >> disable it in the BIOS.
    >>
    >> Can someone please tell me where I have to go in the BIOS settings to
    >> completely disable the onboard sound......so I can rule that out as
    >> the problem.
    >>
    >> If you can help me solve this mystery, I'll dance at your wedding or
    >> give you my third-born.......whichever comes first! :--)
    >> PALADIN

    Mike........

    As I plug the speakers in, I hear a loud buzz while the plug is
    entering the jack......so I know the speakers are working and turned
    up high....just in case some little squeak decides to come out! :-)

    PALADIN

    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:11:15 -0500, "Mike" <mike@poolsters.on.ca>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>plug some speakers in... but make sure you put them in the right jack
    >>
    >>"Paladin" <Paladin@Dodge.City> wrote in message
    >>> Hi folks................
    >>>
    >>> I love this board! It's fast-n-stable! All sorts of
    >>> goodies...including the software. This is my first Asus.
    >>>
    >>> But, I cannot get audio out of it. I've tried everything I can think
    >>> of......at least twice. Updated drivers, default BIOS settings,
    >>> Soundman diagnostics, etc.
    >>>
    >>> I finally gave up and bought a cheap Creative PCI card. I just want
    >>> sound......nothing fancy. I installed the card and loaded the drivers.
    >>> It looks fine in WinXP Device Manager.....as did the onboard audio
    >>> device, but I cannot get any sound out of the card either! I've
    >>> tried changing PCI slots, retested the speakers.......nothing!
    >>>
    >>> My only guess now is that the onboard port is bad and I didn't fully
    >>> disable it in the BIOS.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone please tell me where I have to go in the BIOS settings to
    >>> completely disable the onboard sound......so I can rule that out as
    >>> the problem.
    >>>
    >>> If you can help me solve this mystery, I'll dance at your wedding or
    >>> give you my third-born.......whichever comes first! :--)
    >>> PALADIN
    >>

    > Mike........
    >
    > As I plug the speakers in, I hear a loud buzz while the plug is
    > entering the jack......so I know the speakers are working and turned
    > up high....just in case some little squeak decides to come out! :-)

    all that proves is that your speakers can "playback" static... plug them
    into a MP3 player or other computer just to make sure...

    Have you gone into control Panel, then to sound, and ensured thar your
    volume is turned up?

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:38:53 -0500, "Mike" <mike@poolsters.on.ca>
    wrote:

    >"Paladin" <Paladin@Dodge.City> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:11:15 -0500, "Mike" <mike@poolsters.on.ca>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>plug some speakers in... but make sure you put them in the right jack
    >>>
    >>>"Paladin" <Paladin@Dodge.City> wrote in message

    >> Mike........
    >>
    >> As I plug the speakers in, I hear a loud buzz while the plug is
    >> entering the jack......so I know the speakers are working and turned
    >> up high....just in case some little squeak decides to come out! :-)
    >>

    >all that proves is that your speakers can "playback" static... plug them
    >into a MP3 player or other computer just to make sure...

    Mike...........

    I'll try that.....thanks.

    They worked fine until this mobo upgrade. :--(

    PALADIN

    Paul..........

    Yes I have. I've tried to play system sounds while I was in that
    dept.......no joy.

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:44:40 GMT, Paladin <Paladin@Dodge.City> wrote:

    >Hi folks................
    >
    >I love this board! It's fast-n-stable! All sorts of
    >goodies...including the software. This is my first Asus.
    >
    >But, I cannot get audio out of it. I've tried everything I can think
    >of......at least twice. Updated drivers, default BIOS settings,
    >Soundman diagnostics, etc.
    >
    >I finally gave up and bought a cheap Creative PCI card. I just want
    >sound......nothing fancy. I installed the card and loaded the drivers.
    >It looks fine in WinXP Device Manager.....as did the onboard audio
    >device, but I cannot get any sound out of the card either! I've
    >tried changing PCI slots, retested the speakers.......nothing!
    >
    >My only guess now is that the onboard port is bad and I didn't fully
    >disable it in the BIOS.
    >
    >Can someone please tell me where I have to go in the BIOS settings to
    >completely disable the onboard sound......so I can rule that out as
    >the problem.
    >
    >If you can help me solve this mystery, I'll dance at your wedding or
    >give you my third-born.......whichever comes first! :--)
    >PALADIN

    Thanks for all the help fellas! It's nice to know there's somewhere
    to turn when everything goes south. You're a great bunch of guys!
    (with one exception) :--)

    I'm a persistent bastard, but I finally gave up on this....after about
    a week of beating my head against the wall.........and ordered a
    replacement from Newegg. :--)

    What is it that Kenny Rogers said: "Ya gotta know when to fold."

    It would be nice to know that my next post in this N/G will include
    the word............SUCCESS!!! :----)

    Best Regards,

    PALADIN

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:27:34 GMT, Paladin <Paladin@Dodge.City> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:44:40 GMT, Paladin <Paladin@Dodge.City> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi folks................
    >>
    >>I love this board! It's fast-n-stable! All sorts of
    >>goodies...including the software. This is my first Asus.
    >>
    >>But, I cannot get audio out of it. I've tried everything I can think
    >>of......at least twice. Updated drivers, default BIOS settings,
    >>Soundman diagnostics, etc.
    >>
    >>I finally gave up and bought a cheap Creative PCI card. I just want
    >>sound......nothing fancy. I installed the card and loaded the drivers.
    >>It looks fine in WinXP Device Manager.....as did the onboard audio
    >>device, but I cannot get any sound out of the card either! I've
    >>tried changing PCI slots, retested the speakers.......nothing!
    >>
    >>My only guess now is that the onboard port is bad and I didn't fully
    >>disable it in the BIOS.
    >>
    >>Can someone please tell me where I have to go in the BIOS settings to
    >>completely disable the onboard sound......so I can rule that out as
    >>the problem.
    >>
    >>If you can help me solve this mystery, I'll dance at your wedding or
    >>give you my third-born.......whichever comes first! :--)
    >>PALADIN
    >

    >Thanks for all the help fellas! It's nice to know there's somewhere
    >to turn when everything goes south. You're a great bunch of guys!
    >(with one exception) :--)
    >
    >I'm a persistent bastard, but I finally gave up on this....after about
    >a week of beating my head against the wall.........and ordered a
    >replacement from Newegg. :--)
    >
    >What is it that Kenny Rogers said: "Ya gotta know when to fold."
    >
    >It would be nice to know that my next post in this N/G will include
    >the word............SUCCESS!!! :----)
    >
    >Best Regards,

    >PALADIN

    SUCCESS!! Sound..........at long last!

    All it took was a mobo swap. :--)

    Now if I can get the Raptor that I installed to run at it's reported
    speed (or anywhere near it) I will be one happy camper!

    Regards,

    PALADIN

Asus Motherboards