Any ASUS A8V Deluxe owners out there? (mobo)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.toronto,kingston.general,kingston.wanted,niagara.forsale (More info?)

I have recently puchased the ASUS A8V deluxe board. It's a great board with
one exception. I cannot get the USB ports to work, with the exception of
the four on the motherboard.

Technical support didn't help. I need some more ports.

Any one else have this trouble and have fixed it? Or is it time for me to
get a usb hub....

Thanks for any input.

Paul

Splendid

In article <C1I%d.8734$If1.1924009@read2.cgocable.net>, "crg"
<calg420@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I have recently puchased the ASUS A8V deluxe board. It's a great board with
> one exception. I cannot get the USB ports to work, with the exception of
> the four on the motherboard.
>
> Technical support didn't help. I need some more ports.
>
> Any one else have this trouble and have fixed it? Or is it time for me to
> get a usb hub....
>
> Thanks for any input.

Your board has a total of eight ports.

Four ports are on the back plate.

Four ports are available via headers on the motherboard.
A 2x5 header contains two sets of 1x4 pins, and thus 2
USB ports. There are two headers.

To make USB work, there are the four pins +5, GND, D+, D-.
You have to connect them to a USB connector via a good quality
cable. You cannot use individual loose wires, as the signals
work at 400Mbit/sec. Use of the provided adapter bracket is
highly recommended. It has two USB connectors on it, and the
appropriate connector to interface to the USB header on the
motherboard.

Instead of using the flaky wiring on the computer case, test
the USB header(s) first with the Asus bracket.

Why do I say flaky ? Well, there are virtually no Antec computer
cases with working USB ports on the front of the case. Antec has
been shipping adapter hardware which is only USB 1.1 compatible,
and Antec knows it. If you contact Antec and complain, they
dutifully send you a replacement USB board and cable, to replace
the originally provided ones. So, be suspicious of the computer
case wiring first, no matter who makes the case...

If you use the Asus bracket, and it still doesn't work, then
you've got a real problem. Something to check, is whether the
USBPWxx headers have a jumper on them. Each USB port is mapped
to a 1x3 set of pins on the USBPWxx headers. A jumper must be
present on the 1x3 set of pins, in order for either +5V
or +5VSB to flow to the USB port. By default, from the factory,
there will be jumpers on there, and you should not need to
move them.

Since you got the USB ports working on the backplate, I'm
not suspecting a software problem here. If, in fact, even those
ports are not working right, then it could be a software problem,
in which case, www.usbman.com might be worth looking at.

HTH,
Paul

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:38:13 -0500, "crg" <calg420@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>I have recently puchased the ASUS A8V deluxe board. It's a great board with
>one exception. I cannot get the USB ports to work, with the exception of
>the four on the motherboard.
>
>Technical support didn't help. I need some more ports.
>
>Any one else have this trouble and have fixed it? Or is it time for me to
>get a usb hub....
>
>Thanks for any input.
(Cross post to the other 4 groups removed - reply ONLY to this group!)

You do not say what OS you are using - I had a minor problem with XP
First Edition...

I have an A8V Deluxe - 4 usbs on the back of the case and 2 on the
front - all taken from the appropriate points on the MB.

If I remember right, when I installed XP home (First Edition) the USB
ports were 'seen' as usb1 and I had to download USB 2 drivers from
ASUS. However, When I reformatted and re installed XP using the XPsp2
disk, the ports were instantly recognized as USB2

6 USB 2 ports were not enough. so I installed a Belkin USB2 card with
4 extra ports. On powering up, the card was instantly recognized as a
4 port USB2. That now gives me 10 type 2 ports...A-OK...

As far as I am concerned, No sweat with USB 2 on the A8V deluxe
board...
--
Donald Gray
www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.toronto,kingston.general,kingston.wanted,niagara.forsale (More info?)

WHY didn't you buy the PCI Express version?

"crg" <calg420@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>I have recently puchased the ASUS A8V deluxe board. It's a great board
>with
> one exception. I cannot get the USB ports to work, with the exception of
> the four on the motherboard.
>
> Technical support didn't help. I need some more ports.
>
> Any one else have this trouble and have fixed it? Or is it time for me to
> get a usb hub....
>
> Thanks for any input.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.toronto,kingston.general,kingston.wanted,niagara.forsale (More info?)

"crg" <calg420@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>I have recently puchased the ASUS A8V deluxe board. It's a great board
>with
> one exception. I cannot get the USB ports to work, with the exception of
> the four on the motherboard.
>
> Technical support didn't help. I need some more ports.
>
> Any one else have this trouble and have fixed it? Or is it time for me to
> get a usb hub....
>
> Thanks for any input.

Are you sure you have the wires connected properly? I ask because I
*assumed* the connectors were arranged the same way on the A8V as they were
on the replaced motherboard, and ended up toasting the front USB ports in my
Antec SOHO tower. Luckily, Antec was kind enough to send me a replacement
USB connector module for the case, and when I RTFM'ed before reconnecting
the wires, everything worked perfectly. All 6 ports are USB2 and working
fine.

Paul, are you claiming that the USB ports on the
front of the Antec Sonata case are not USB 2.0?

Paul

Splendid

In article <WVV%d.108195$H05.81800@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, "CapeGuy"
<CapeGuy@devnull.com> wrote:

> Paul, are you claiming that the USB ports on the
> front of the Antec Sonata case are not USB 2.0?

Many are not. If you can get the ports to work at
USB 1.1 rates but not at USB 2.0, you should be
talking to Antec. There was a web page about
this issue, but it was removed by Antec, so I cannot
give you a link.

If you look at this thread, it mentions that the
defect with the Sonata is some data wires are swapped.
With Antec, I always recommend verifying the pinout with
an ohmmeter. I have three Antec cases, and the first two
had wiring errors.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=8lklu0lrqdtfc4o11dihcrjrncf0953si3%404ax.com

On my third case (Sonata), I said screw it, and just
ripped the front panel assembly out of the case. I did
that because, I'm not interested in verifying the wiring
yet again. I have the assembly sitting in front of me,
and in white letters on the circuit board it says

"USB 2.0"

That means the correct assembly is in the Sonata. But the
Italian posting above seems to suggest you'd better verify
that the labels on the wires are correct. All you need is
a pinout diagram and an ohmmeter, and you trace which wire
goes to which pin, and whether the name printed on the wire
is correct. I don't plan on wasting any more time on Antec
wiring problems - it is just too hard to keep track of what
they screwed up. It is easier just to tell people not to use
their Antec front panel connectors. And rather than having
those wires dangling down inside the case, I just removed
the assembly.

Paul

I have to wonder how many other cases are like this.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:56:09 -0500, Paul wrote:

> In article <WVV%d.108195$H05.81800@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, "CapeGuy"
> <CapeGuy@devnull.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul, are you claiming that the USB ports on the
>> front of the Antec Sonata case are not USB 2.0?
>
> Many are not. If you can get the ports to work at
> USB 1.1 rates but not at USB 2.0, you should be
> talking to Antec. There was a web page about
> this issue, but it was removed by Antec, so I cannot
> give you a link.
>
> If you look at this thread, it mentions that the
> defect with the Sonata is some data wires are swapped.
> With Antec, I always recommend verifying the pinout with
> an ohmmeter. I have three Antec cases, and the first two
> had wiring errors.
>
> http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=8lklu0lrqdtfc4o11dihcrjrncf0953si3%404ax.com
>
> On my third case (Sonata), I said screw it, and just
> ripped the front panel assembly out of the case. I did
> that because, I'm not interested in verifying the wiring
> yet again. I have the assembly sitting in front of me,
> and in white letters on the circuit board it says
>
> "USB 2.0"
>
> That means the correct assembly is in the Sonata. But the
> Italian posting above seems to suggest you'd better verify
> that the labels on the wires are correct. All you need is
> a pinout diagram and an ohmmeter, and you trace which wire
> goes to which pin, and whether the name printed on the wire
> is correct. I don't plan on wasting any more time on Antec
> wiring problems - it is just too hard to keep track of what
> they screwed up. It is easier just to tell people not to use
> their Antec front panel connectors. And rather than having
> those wires dangling down inside the case, I just removed
> the assembly.
>
> Paul

Maybe I just got lucky - or you got very unlucky - but,
as far as I can tell, my Antec Sonata front ports are fine.

Paul got up from the bar and shouted: :
> In article <WVV%d.108195$H05.81800@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, "CapeGuy"
> <CapeGuy@devnull.com> wrote:
>

>>Paul, are you claiming that the USB ports on the
>>front of the Antec Sonata case are not USB 2.0?
>

> Many are not. If you can get the ports to work at
> USB 1.1 rates but not at USB 2.0, you should be
> talking to Antec. There was a web page about
> this issue, but it was removed by Antec, so I cannot
> give you a link.
>
> If you look at this thread, it mentions that the
> defect with the Sonata is some data wires are swapped.
> With Antec, I always recommend verifying the pinout with
> an ohmmeter. I have three Antec cases, and the first two
> had wiring errors.
>
> http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=8lklu0lrqdtfc4o11dihcrjrncf0953si3%404ax.com
>
> On my third case (Sonata), I said screw it, and just
> ripped the front panel assembly out of the case. I did
> that because, I'm not interested in verifying the wiring
> yet again. I have the assembly sitting in front of me,
> and in white letters on the circuit board it says
>
> "USB 2.0"
>
> That means the correct assembly is in the Sonata. But the
> Italian posting above seems to suggest you'd better verify
> that the labels on the wires are correct. All you need is
> a pinout diagram and an ohmmeter, and you trace which wire
> goes to which pin, and whether the name printed on the wire
> is correct. I don't plan on wasting any more time on Antec
> wiring problems - it is just too hard to keep track of what
> they screwed up. It is easier just to tell people not to use
> their Antec front panel connectors. And rather than having
> those wires dangling down inside the case, I just removed
> the assembly.
>
> Paul

I find this hard to believe, as the USB wiring in question, is simply 4
wires, +Ve, -Ve, Clock and Data. There is no other circuitry, how can
the system down speed to 1.1 speeds?

--
Lite-On DVD Recorder User Forums
http://www.liteonusers.org.uk

Paul

Splendid

In article <424b2dc8$0$26465$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>, Black
Shuck <mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote:

> I find this hard to believe, as the USB wiring in question, is simply 4
> wires, +Ve, -Ve, Clock and Data. There is no other circuitry, how can
> the system down speed to 1.1 speeds?

Apparently, some interface boards have L-C filter networks on them.
These may be used for EMI control, and if designed for USB 1.1 data
rates, may adversely affect USB 2 signals.

Also, some cable assemblies that join to the board, are not
controlled impedance. A good USB cable has a nice shield on
the outside, and will adhere to whatever standards apply
to such cables. If you find a computer case, where individual
loose wires run from the interface board, down to your motherboard,
the high frequency characteristics of a loose wire are not
good enough to pass USB2 400Mb/sec signals.

From the USB 2.0 specification:

"A high-speed USB connection is made through a shielded, twisted
pair cable with a differential characteristic impedance (Z0) of 90
ohms +/-15%, a common mode impedance (ZCM) of 30ohms +/-30%, and
a maximum one-way delay of 26 ns (TFSCBL). The D+ and D- circuit
board traces which run between a transceiver and its associated
connector should also have a nominal differential impedance of
90 ohms, and together they may add an additional 4 ns of delay
between the transceivers."

Loose pieces of wire are not compatible with that description.
Similarly, a poorly designed computer case PCB that holds the USB
connector, may not meet the 90 ohm diff impedance spec. Careless
design will break it.

The USB standards are handled by this organization:

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

This document is short, and will give you a feel for the issues:
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/hs_usb_pdg_r1_0.pdf

Paul

All,

I have had the same issue: Could not get the USB to run at 480MB per second.
but - it gets worse.

Yesterday, I downloaded the USB 2.0 drivers (again) from ASUS, and finally
got Windows to install them. Of course, while doing that, I 'tweaked' other
things.

Now, At boot time I get a cpu fan error (never mind it is spinning) some
times. Other times the PC will boot ok, but the first time I try anything
'heavy' I get a reboot.

I have a Zalman CU cooler, which has worked just fine. I just built this pc
about 5 weeks ago, and the aggravation I had was with the USB. Now it seems
I should have left the USB alone.

My setup: A8V Deluxe, AMD3800+, 2GB memory, C, D, E Pata, J Sata, front
panel for usb, ear, etc. PC Power and Cooling 510W (new), I forgot the name
of the Video card (it required an additional power plug).

I can't use that PC because of the reboot situation.

When I am looking at the CMOS settings, I see the fan speed and the CPU
Temperature. CPU Temp is now about 49 Degrees CE, and the fan speed is shown
in red (apparently too low).

Any guesses?

Regards, Bob Hyatt