Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

My Dell 4500, XP home edition, SP1, no longer will
recognize new hardware added.
I receive a yellow question mark symbol in the Device
manager for:

1) Pentax Optio S40 camera - manufacture
states: "Designed to not require any drivers supplied by
Pentax. Camera conforms to the USB mass storage class
standard. This means O/S (XP) will automatically detect
the camera and load their own built-in USB mass storage
drivers". Device Manger list the device as "USB Device"
and Hardware Wizard cannot find any software so the
device does not work. The same is true for these next
two installs (that is XP is suppose to recognize them).
My Win98 computer finds them okay):

2) SanDisk Cruzer USB Flash Drive - Device Manger list
the device as Cruzer Mini

3) SanDisk ImageMate SD-MMC - Device Manger list the
device as ImageMate SD

Is this a USB issue or Plug and Play

Have you tried re-installing SP1?

Sounds like you got corrupted a Driver.cab? not sure yet.
(I may be completely off the mark with that one!)

have you tried updating the drivers from within device
manager?