Wireless Problems? Accept all help with caution.

Wireless Networking can be a nightmare if it doesn't work
out of the box and so it is frustrating and you get
deperate for help. (Which is probably why you are in this
form) But be very careful what advice you accept!

One common site offered asks you to uninstall your fireall
(not just disable it) dowload a "registry patch" <joke!>
and effectively activate your guest account with a blank
password to be accessed via a network. In doing so,
anyone with your email address (such as from their guest
book) can obtain your IP address when you are on the net
and sign in to your PC as an anonymous guest. Sure you
might get some useful help... and these people may not
even do anything mailicious, just browse through your
files and copy a few mp3 files etc. but do you really want
to risk it?

Certainly firewll programs such as zone alarm and norton
internet security can (WILL) cause grief unless they are
configured not to block your networked PC's. But NEVER
uninstall these programs completely. Instead I suggest
you write down all the steps you want/need to try and then
disable the firewall until you get everything working. I
also suggest you disconnect from the internet until you
first get all PC's talking to each other and sharing
files/folders you want. (Make sure they are in the same
workgroup by the way.)

Two of the handiest trouble shooting helpers are available
from the command prompt in your start menu.

These are:

1. Ping /? This will bring up parameter instructions
which will allow you to ping the IP addresses of your
router and each PC on your network. A response means you
have a connection. Time out means communication isn't
happening or being blocked by something (such as Nortons
Internet Security)
example: ping 192.168.0.1 (<- this is a default
address for many routers).
Right clicking on the LAN/Wireless networking icon in the
taskbar and viewing properties and 'support' tab will show
you the IP address of the PC. Only once you can
successfully ping each address (including the PC you are
on) will you be able to make progress.

2. ipconfig /all This will show you the all current IP
related settings for the PC. In most cases they will be
assigned by the DHCP functionality on the router (if you
have one) ipconfig /? will give you other parameters
including the ability to release the settings and attempt
to get new ones. Again, only once each PC has an IP
address (usually in the same range) will you be able to
progess in setting up your network.

Good luck in getting your network running smoothly.

mags

I went to that site and found more than 250 people verifying the registry
fix and firewall information we're exactly what they needed to fix their
networking issues and none of them have been 'attacked' as you claim.

Hmm...

"Mags" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Wireless Networking can be a nightmare if it doesn't work
> out of the box and so it is frustrating and you get
> deperate for help. (Which is probably why you are in this
> form) But be very careful what advice you accept!
>
> One common site offered asks you to uninstall your fireall
> (not just disable it) dowload a "registry patch" <joke!>
> and effectively activate your guest account with a blank
> password to be accessed via a network. In doing so,
> anyone with your email address (such as from their guest
> book) can obtain your IP address when you are on the net
> and sign in to your PC as an anonymous guest. Sure you
> might get some useful help... and these people may not
> even do anything mailicious, just browse through your
> files and copy a few mp3 files etc. but do you really want
> to risk it?
>
> Certainly firewll programs such as zone alarm and norton
> internet security can (WILL) cause grief unless they are
> configured not to block your networked PC's. But NEVER
> uninstall these programs completely. Instead I suggest
> you write down all the steps you want/need to try and then
> disable the firewall until you get everything working. I
> also suggest you disconnect from the internet until you
> first get all PC's talking to each other and sharing
> files/folders you want. (Make sure they are in the same
> workgroup by the way.)
>
> Two of the handiest trouble shooting helpers are available
> from the command prompt in your start menu.
>
> These are:
>
> 1. Ping /? This will bring up parameter instructions
> which will allow you to ping the IP addresses of your
> router and each PC on your network. A response means you
> have a connection. Time out means communication isn't
> happening or being blocked by something (such as Nortons
> Internet Security)
> example: ping 192.168.0.1 (<- this is a default
> address for many routers).
> Right clicking on the LAN/Wireless networking icon in the
> taskbar and viewing properties and 'support' tab will show
> you the IP address of the PC. Only once you can
> successfully ping each address (including the PC you are
> on) will you be able to make progress.
>
> 2. ipconfig /all This will show you the all current IP
> related settings for the PC. In most cases they will be
> assigned by the DHCP functionality on the router (if you
> have one) ipconfig /? will give you other parameters
> including the ability to release the settings and attempt
> to get new ones. Again, only once each PC has an IP
> address (usually in the same range) will you be able to
> progess in setting up your network.
>
> Good luck in getting your network running smoothly.
>
> mags

Of course... correct basic network settings are offered
and I NEVER claimed they have been "attacked" (which they
wouldn't even be aware of with a legitimate net guest
login in b.t.w.). However, the patch/fix is NOT necessary
to network, nor is an actived net guest account with a
blank password.

Firewalls exist for a reason. Disabling them until the
network is working effectively, then configuring them to
allow the networked devices is far better advice.
Plus "shutting down ZoneAlarm" is effective or disbling
Norton Internet Security ios effective. So why insist on
completely uninstalling it?

While this "site owner" may not be hacking as such... he
is certainly setting them up as an easy target.

Mags

I have seen many people, here and in person, who have disabled thier
firewalls and have no connection, but as soon as they uninstall and then
reinstall after the network is up and running, everything is fine.

Many people do not have the knowledge to open or close ports and add
programs here and so on, so they must take the long way around.

Do tell everyone that they must or must not ever uninstall thier firewall is
by no means correct.

> Of course... correct basic network settings are offered
> and I NEVER claimed they have been "attacked" (which they
> wouldn't even be aware of with a legitimate net guest
> login in b.t.w.). However, the patch/fix is NOT necessary
> to network, nor is an actived net guest account with a
> blank password.
>
> Firewalls exist for a reason. Disabling them until the
> network is working effectively, then configuring them to
> allow the networked devices is far better advice.
> Plus "shutting down ZoneAlarm" is effective or disbling
> Norton Internet Security ios effective. So why insist on
> completely uninstalling it?
>
> While this "site owner" may not be hacking as such... he
> is certainly setting them up as an easy target.
>
> Mags

My main point is the fix/patch that is offered and the
security risk that is being presented. Hopefully an
administrator/moderator from the microsoft forum will go
to the careyholzman site, download the reg file offered,
view the contents of it and confirm (or deny) its safety
and the risk that the instructions on the site presents.

All I am saying is people should be very cautious about
fully opening up their PC for anyone on the net to log in
without their knowledge. End of story. Each person can
then decide for themselves.

mags

Have you seen this reg file that you are warning about? Certainly it's easy
to just open it up and examine the changes it is making, before allowing
your imagination to come up with inconclusive accusations and warnings.

That reg file has nothing to do with guest accounts.

Chicken Little screamed that the sky was falling, but after a little
education, discovered he was completely wrong.

Something to consider before jumping to conclusions...

Carey

> My main point is the fix/patch that is offered and the
> security risk that is being presented. Hopefully an
> administrator/moderator from the microsoft forum will go
> to the careyholzman site, download the reg file offered,
> view the contents of it and confirm (or deny) its safety
> and the risk that the instructions on the site presents.
>
> All I am saying is people should be very cautious about
> fully opening up their PC for anyone on the net to log in
> without their knowledge. End of story. Each person can
> then decide for themselves.
>
> mags

Yes of course i examined it. I have been supporting PC's
for over 10 years (and have a tertiary education in
Information Systems). Rather than getting in a snit,would
you care to deny that the changes and advice you provide
visitors to your site does not ALLOW you or anyone with
their IP address to log in to their PC and access shared
drives/files under the activated net guest account with a
blank password???

Like I said before,I'm not saying that *you* do this, but
it sure as hell makes it easy for you to do so if you
chose.

Tell me, how do you set up a user account and password that keeps people out
in Windows 95/98/Me?

Carey

> Yes of course i examined it. I have been supporting PC's
> for over 10 years (and have a tertiary education in
> Information Systems). Rather than getting in a snit,would
> you care to deny that the changes and advice you provide
> visitors to your site does not ALLOW you or anyone with
> their IP address to log in to their PC and access shared
> drives/files under the activated net guest account with a
> blank password???
>
> Like I said before,I'm not saying that *you* do this, but
> it sure as hell makes it easy for you to do so if you
> chose.

We both know those operating systems are insecure at
best. So why instruct *XP* users to open their systems up
for easy access by anyone? You might be well meaning in
your intentions to help people, but perhaps adding some
disclaimers and advising the risks of your instructions on
your site might be a good idea.

Would you knowingly allow someone you don't know to access
your PC? Look, I've just warned people to be cautious.
End of story no more responding in pointless banter.

I thank you for showing me true human nature. I help hundreds of people, not
a single one has had any negative consequence of said help, and yet you find
the time to warn people about me?

What did I ever do to you to justify this attack?

Whether you like it or not, I will continue helping people.

Carey

> We both know those operating systems are insecure at
> best. So why instruct *XP* users to open their systems up
> for easy access by anyone? You might be well meaning in
> your intentions to help people, but perhaps adding some
> disclaimers and advising the risks of your instructions on
> your site might be a good idea.
>
> Would you knowingly allow someone you don't know to access
> your PC? Look, I've just warned people to be cautious.
> End of story no more responding in pointless banter.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message

> I thank you for showing me true human nature. I help hundreds of people,
> not a single one has had any negative consequence of said help, and yet
> you find the time to warn people about me?
>
> What did I ever do to you to justify this attack?
>
> Whether you like it or not, I will continue helping people.
>
> Carey

I second that Carey. I quite often flick through these newsgroups and know
that if you are on the case the problem usually get sorted. Perhaps the OP
should put more energy in helping rather than criticising someone who puts a
lot of time and effort into helping others with problems.

As I mentioned, leave it to human nature to find something bad about
something good, even if they have to make it up.

Thanks, Tony. I appreciate your support.

Carey

"Tony" <ttiger@lineone.net> wrote in message
> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I thank you for showing me true human nature. I help hundreds of people,
>> not a single one has had any negative consequence of said help, and yet
>> you find the time to warn people about me?
>>
>> What did I ever do to you to justify this attack?
>>
>> Whether you like it or not, I will continue helping people.
>>
>> Carey
>>
> I second that Carey. I quite often flick through these newsgroups and
> know that if you are on the case the problem usually get sorted. Perhaps
> the OP should put more energy in helping rather than criticising someone
> who puts a lot of time and effort into helping others with problems.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I too have checked this site out. As well meaning as it
may be, it does create a major security risk on XP PC's.
By all means follow the advice to get your network working
but I agree that it is a good idea to reinstall a firewall
and allow only your own network PC's to connect as soon as
you have got it right.

Steve