RecordNow! doesn't recognize my CD-RW drive as a recorder

I had some problems awhile back with the Samsung drive on Dell
Dimension 2400 disappearing from My Computer and from the hardware
device manager list. I posted about it and applied the fix to the
registry that was suggested.

Tonight was the first time since applying that fix that I tried to
burn a CD and the RecordNow! program doesn't recognize the CD-RW drive
as a recorder.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about recordnow doesn recognize drive recorder

    Try this.
    Go to propertys on the cd drive and click the recording tab and check the
    box.
    hope this helps

    --
    Carl
    "GMF" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > I had some problems awhile back with the Samsung drive on Dell
    > Dimension 2400 disappearing from My Computer and from the hardware
    > device manager list. I posted about it and applied the fix to the
    > registry that was suggested.
    >
    > Tonight was the first time since applying that fix that I tried to
    > burn a CD and the RecordNow! program doesn't recognize the CD-RW drive
    > as a recorder.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi GMF,

    Thank you for posting!

    As I know, Windows XP has its built-in CD burner function. Can you burn it
    by this way?

    How to Move Files to the Staging Area
    -------------------------------------

    There are four methods that you can use to copy files to the staging area:

    - Method 1: You can use a drag-and-drop operation to move the files to the
    CD burner icon.

    - Method 2: Right-click the file (or files), click "Send To", and then
    click "Name or Drive Letter of your Writable CD".

    - Method 3: Click the file, click "Send To" on the File menu, and then
    click "Name or Drive Letter of your Writable CD".

    - Method 4: Copy the files manually to the staging area.

    How to Initiate the Burn Process
    --------------------------------

    There are two methods to start the burn process after the files are in the
    staging area:

    - Method 1: Under "CD Writing Tasks", click "Write these files to CD".

    - Method 2: Right-click the CD drive, and then click "Write these files to
    CD".

    At this point, the data is copied from the staging area into a monolithic
    stash file, which is then recorded to the disk as an image.

    For additional information about the CDR in Windows XP, you may visit the
    below article in Microsoft Knowledge base:

    279157 Description of CD-ROM Recording in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279157

    Have a nice day!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: GMF <nobody@nowhere.com>
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    | Subject: RecordNow! doesn't recognize my CD-RW drive as a recorder
    | Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:13:48 -0400
    |
    | I had some problems awhile back with the Samsung drive on Dell
    | Dimension 2400 disappearing from My Computer and from the hardware
    | device manager list. I posted about it and applied the fix to the
    | registry that was suggested.
    |
    | Tonight was the first time since applying that fix that I tried to
    | burn a CD and the RecordNow! program doesn't recognize the CD-RW drive
    | as a recorder.
    |
    | Anyone got any ideas?
    |
    | Thanks.

    The native XP CD burner worked, so this told me it was a software
    problem with the RecordNow! program. I reinstalled the program and it
    seems to be working fine now. Thanks.

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:23:08 GMT, fengmao@online.microsoft.com (Feng
    Mao) wrote:

    >Hi GMF,
    >
    >Thank you for posting!
    >
    >As I know, Windows XP has its built-in CD burner function. Can you burn it
    >by this way?
    >
    >How to Move Files to the Staging Area
    >-------------------------------------
    >
    > There are four methods that you can use to copy files to the staging area:
    >

    >- Method 1: You can use a drag-and-drop operation to move the files to the
    >CD burner icon.
    >
    >- Method 2: Right-click the file (or files), click "Send To", and then
    >click "Name or Drive Letter of your Writable CD".
    >
    >- Method 3: Click the file, click "Send To" on the File menu, and then
    >click "Name or Drive Letter of your Writable CD".
    >
    >- Method 4: Copy the files manually to the staging area.
    >

    >How to Initiate the Burn Process
    >--------------------------------
    >
    > There are two methods to start the burn process after the files are in the
    >staging area:
    >

    >- Method 1: Under "CD Writing Tasks", click "Write these files to CD".
    >
    >- Method 2: Right-click the CD drive, and then click "Write these files to
    >CD".
    >

    > At this point, the data is copied from the staging area into a monolithic
    >stash file, which is then recorded to the disk as an image.
    >
    >For additional information about the CDR in Windows XP, you may visit the
    >below article in Microsoft Knowledge base:
    >
    >279157 Description of CD-ROM Recording in Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279157
    >
    >Have a nice day!
    >
    >Thanks & Regards,
    >
    >Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    >Microsoft Online Partner Support
    >
    >Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

    >When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    >that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    >

    >--------------------
    >| From: GMF <nobody@nowhere.com>
    >| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    >| Subject: RecordNow! doesn't recognize my CD-RW drive as a recorder
    >| Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:13:48 -0400
    >|
    >| I had some problems awhile back with the Samsung drive on Dell
    >| Dimension 2400 disappearing from My Computer and from the hardware
    >| device manager list. I posted about it and applied the fix to the
    >| registry that was suggested.
    >|
    >| Tonight was the first time since applying that fix that I tried to
    >| burn a CD and the RecordNow! program doesn't recognize the CD-RW drive
    >| as a recorder.
    >|
    >| Anyone got any ideas?
    >|
    >| Thanks.

    Hi,

    Glad to hear that the built-in CD burner works and after removing and
    reinstalling RecordNow! program, it works again.

    Please feel free to post any question to the newsgroup in the future.

    Have a good day!

CD-Rom Windows XP