Configuring USB Satellite Modem for XP SP2 Firewall

August 17, 2004 5:28:22 AM

Hi there,

I have a DirecPC USB Satellite Receiver which I want to work with any
firewall. My Dial-Up Modem works fine with a firewall, but the satellite
modem is a problem. I have checked with many sources on how to configure
it, all without success.

So, anyone out there able to assist here? With XP SP2 on the horizon, and
after visiting the Windows Update website, and discovering that the modem
locks up the system entirely when the firewall is ENabled, I need to know
how to set it up to work with a firewall.

Any recommendations would also be appreciated on which additional firewall
(to XP SP2) might work best with this modem. Just so you know, I have to
use my dial-up connection modem to connect to the satellite modem which then
gives me my access to internet, mail, etc. By the way, the dial-up modem on
its own has no problem with the XP firewall being enabled. It's the
satellite modem that I need help with.

I'm using Windows XP Pro with all updates applied (awaiting SP2)...

Thanks so much. Hoping for assistance here...

Lynn
August 20, 2004 1:28:11 PM

I would get a 3rd party firewall Lynn. Save the hassle
of trying to get your modem ports configured (if you
can figure out what the ports are) thru XP's firewall.

Can't this modem work by itself?? instead of the dialup
modem dialling to it?? I saw on the Direcpc site
it can be configured so you can use ICS on 98. I cant
see why it can't be configured for ICS, for XP.

Has the satellite receiver got a built in router?
or something? I would say if it has, thats where
the ports (if any) would have to be entered
in order for it to work properly. Is your modem the DW6000?

!