P4E800-D Processor Failure

A quick power failure (flicker?) ruined my CPU. The power went out for just
a second or two and, even though the BIOS is set to remain off, the machine
went into reboot with the nice lady saying the CPU had failed. Sure enough
it had.

I've never seen this before and don't want to repeat it. Anybody
experienced this problem? Any ideas?

Specifics:

ASUS P4E800-D
Intel Northwood P-4 3.2
Antec Power (450w, if I recall)
Surge protection

BTW, our three other machines went through the same incident without a
problem.

Correction. It's a P4C800-D. Sorry.

"Gert B. Frob" <sbrentcarter@spaminator.net> wrote in message
> A quick power failure (flicker?) ruined my CPU. The power went out for
just
> a second or two and, even though the BIOS is set to remain off, the
machine
> went into reboot with the nice lady saying the CPU had failed. Sure
enough
> it had.
>
> I've never seen this before and don't want to repeat it. Anybody
> experienced this problem? Any ideas?
>
> Specifics:
>
> ASUS P4E800-D
> Intel Northwood P-4 3.2
> Antec Power (450w, if I recall)
> Surge protection
>
> BTW, our three other machines went through the same incident without a
> problem.

"Gert B. Frob" <sbrentcarter@spaminator.net> wrote in message
> A quick power failure (flicker?) ruined my CPU. The power went out for
just
> a second or two and, even though the BIOS is set to remain off, the
machine
> went into reboot with the nice lady saying the CPU had failed. Sure
enough
> it had.
>
> I've never seen this before and don't want to repeat it. Anybody
> experienced this problem? Any ideas?
>
> Specifics:
>
> ASUS P4E800-D
> Intel Northwood P-4 3.2
> Antec Power (450w, if I recall)
> Surge protection
>
> BTW, our three other machines went through the same incident without a
> problem.

almost the exact same thing happened to me, only its a dual athlon system on
antec true control 550watt.in my case, i'd bet on your ram, psu & mobo being
fried or at least developing more faults over the next few days at the very
minimum - i also lost hdds, raid, lan & sound cards and optical drives.
video still to test.

dr ratt

"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Gert B. Frob" <sbrentcarter@spaminator.net> wrote in message
> > A quick power failure (flicker?) ruined my CPU. The power went out for
> just
> > a second or two and, even though the BIOS is set to remain off, the
> machine
> > went into reboot with the nice lady saying the CPU had failed. Sure
> enough
> > it had.
> >
> > I've never seen this before and don't want to repeat it. Anybody
> > experienced this problem? Any ideas?
> >
> > Specifics:
> >
> > ASUS P4E800-D
> > Intel Northwood P-4 3.2
> > Antec Power (450w, if I recall)
> > Surge protection
> >
> > BTW, our three other machines went through the same incident without a
> > problem.
> >

> almost the exact same thing happened to me, only its a dual athlon system
on
> antec true control 550watt.in my case, i'd bet on your ram, psu & mobo
being
> fried or at least developing more faults over the next few days at the
very
> minimum - i also lost hdds, raid, lan & sound cards and optical drives.
> video still to test.
>
> dr ratt

Actually, I've been running my trusty old P-4 1.8 in the rig for about a
week now while the RMA process goes on. No problems.

> Actually, I've been running my trusty old P-4 1.8 in the rig for about a
> week now while the RMA process goes on. No problems.

first time it happened, the psu was the only thing dead to begin with but
the ram died soon after. that was a year ago. when it happened again last
week [out of warranty period] the results were as i reported.
the hdds, raid card, lan, sound & opticals were the same ones that survived
the prior incident so it may be that the deleterious effects are cumulative.

dr ratt