XP Home, new motherboard

My system motherboard died (Intel chipset), the new
motherboard I purchased has a Via Chipset. Windows XP
will not start and I don't know how to resolve this
problem!

Help!

bar

Having changed critical settings, Windows has detected this and as part of
the security will not reboot.

Hopefully you have a full retail version of XP [upgrade or full product].
If not go and buy one, your OEM version will not help.

Microsoft OEM operating system software is licensed to you by your computer
manufacturer to be used solely in connection with the computer hardware with
which you acquired the software. The foregoing restriction is reflected in
the terms under which you licensed the software. Generally, you may upgrade
or replace all of the hardware components on your computer and maintain the
license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the
exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. If the motherboard
is replaced, then a new computer has been created and the license of new
operating system software is required.

It all comes down to money! The OEM edition is only a fraction of the cost
of the Full Retail Version. SO you gets whats you pays for!

If you have a full retail version / or upgrade version: you need to perform
a Repair Install by following the steps below.

Set BIOS to boot from CD-ROM.
Insert the XP Installation CD and turn on the PC.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows
installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to
start the repair.
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not
press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue
as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will
remain intact.

"DLangevin" wrote:

> My system motherboard died (Intel chipset), the new
> motherboard I purchased has a Via Chipset. Windows XP
> will not start and I don't know how to resolve this
> problem!
>
> Help!

Hi, D.

The motherboard/chipset is the heart and brains of the computer, so if
you've replaced that, WinXP thinks it's in a different computer. And it
doesn't know how to boot now. It's as if you were suddenly plopped into a
new home and didn't know how to find the bathroom because it's not where it
was in your old home. WinXP is looking all over for its hard drives, its
memory, its video, even its keyboard, and can't find them.

You'll need to boot from the WinXP CD-ROM to let Setup run again. One of
the first things Setup does is detect the hardware environment, especially
the mobo/chipset; then it configures YOUR copy of WinXP to fit that
hardware. Now that the hardware has changed significantly, Setup must be
allowed to re-detect the new environment and reconfigure your copy of WinXP
to fit the new situation. So, follow the instructions BAR gave, or see this
KB article for the official instructions:
How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

As soon as you finish the in-place upgrade, get your firewall and antivirus
working, then go online to Windows Update to be sure you have the latest
Service Pack and later fixes. Better set aside half a day for the whole
project.

Of course, as the others said, this assumes that you have the retail WinXP
CD-ROM. If your computer came with WinXP pre-installed, then you will
probably need to deal with the computer maker/vendor to see how to get WinXP
installed to work with your new mobo/chipset.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"DLangevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My system motherboard died (Intel chipset), the new
> motherboard I purchased has a Via Chipset. Windows XP
> will not start and I don't know how to resolve this
> problem!
>
> Help!

"DLangevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> My system motherboard died (Intel chipset), the new
> motherboard I purchased has a Via Chipset. Windows XP
> will not start and I don't know how to resolve this
> problem!

If you have a "generic" OEM CD, boot from that and do a
repair installation.

If you have a "recovery" OEM CD, talk to your OEM and see
what he says.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Greetings --

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
_before_ starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> If the motherboard
> is replaced, then a new computer has been created and the
> license of new
> operating system software is required.

Bullshit.

--