Missing hard drive

Hello

I cannot see my 2nd hard drive in my computer or disc management how can I
get it back. In the past few days I have not been able to access the secon=d
hard drive, when I mouse over my "c" drive I see the box for free space left
and total size. when I mouse over the second drive(when it was there) I get
nothing. How can I fix that.

Whne trying to format the drive after reading some posts, I got this message
titled "Logical Disk Manager", and this message the format did not complete
successfully. once I click ok the box showed how much gb and says healthy
and actice(when I had the drive)

thanks for any help
--
Thank You in Advance

HI, Trace.

If you can't even see the second HD in Disk Management, maybe your computer
does not see it at all. Is it properly jumpered and cabled? Is it enabled
in the computer BIOS? Does it show up when you first boot your computer?
What interface does it use: IDE, SCSI, SATA or ?? Is the interface the
same as for your first HD?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Trace" <Trace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I cannot see my 2nd hard drive in my computer or disc management how can I
> get it back. In the past few days I have not been able to access the
> secon=d
> hard drive, when I mouse over my "c" drive I see the box for free space
> left
> and total size. when I mouse over the second drive(when it was there) I
> get
> nothing. How can I fix that.
>
> Whne trying to format the drive after reading some posts, I got this
> message
> titled "Logical Disk Manager", and this message the format did not
> complete
> successfully. once I click ok the box showed how much gb and says healthy
> and actice(when I had the drive)
>
> thanks for any help
> --
> Thank You in Advance

Hello R.C. I'm soory about reposting.

to answer your question, i believe that it is properly cabled, and I have
it set up as cable select, is that proper? I wish I could tell you the last
time that I accessed the drive, but it has been recently. I don't know how to
fool around in the bios, so I don't. The interface is the same IDE,

It weas working fine, then one day I tried to access it, there was a pause
(30 sec or more) then a box comes up and says that the disk is not formatted
do you want to format it now. when I put the drive in I did not do anything
in the bios. I just set the jumper plugged in the cables, put the computer
back together and plugged it in.
"XP" found the new hardware and installed it. So I just left it as is.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> HI, Trace.
>
> If you can't even see the second HD in Disk Management, maybe your computer
> does not see it at all. Is it properly jumpered and cabled? Is it enabled
> in the computer BIOS? Does it show up when you first boot your computer?
> What interface does it use: IDE, SCSI, SATA or ?? Is the interface the
> same as for your first HD?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Trace" <Trace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > I cannot see my 2nd hard drive in my computer or disc management how can I
> > get it back. In the past few days I have not been able to access the
> > secon=d
> > hard drive, when I mouse over my "c" drive I see the box for free space
> > left
> > and total size. when I mouse over the second drive(when it was there) I
> > get
> > nothing. How can I fix that.
> >
> > Whne trying to format the drive after reading some posts, I got this
> > message
> > titled "Logical Disk Manager", and this message the format did not
> > complete
> > successfully. once I click ok the box showed how much gb and says healthy
> > and actice(when I had the drive)
> >
> > thanks for any help
> > --
> > Thank You in Advance

Hi, Trace.

If it was working and quit, that would seem to show that it was cabled
properly. But hard drives do go bad, sometimes all at once and sometimes a
little at a time. :>( And cables DO come loose, so it would not be a waste
of time to open the case and check again. Yes, cable select is good, so use
it since it is available in your computer.

Since you haven't told me the make and model of your computer, I'm not sure
what you should expect to see when you first turn it on. Mine "counts the
RAM', then shows me a list of the HDs and a lot of other information before
it even begins to load Windows. Some computer makers (like Dell) cover up
this info with their logo, but you can press Escape (or some other key) to
see the details. Does your computer do this? Does your suspect drive show
up on this list? These things flash by pretty quickly, and you might have
to reboot several times and even use the Pause key to have time to see it.
But if your drive is not on this list, then that narrows down the areas
where you should look for the problem and a fix.

RC
--

> Hello R.C. I'm soory about reposting.
>
> to answer your question, i believe that it is properly cabled, and I have
> it set up as cable select, is that proper? I wish I could tell you the
> last
> time that I accessed the drive, but it has been recently. I don't know how
> fool around in the bios, so I don't. The interface is the same IDE,
>
> It weas working fine, then one day I tried to access it, there was a pause
> (30 sec or more) then a box comes up and says that the disk is not
> formatted
> do you want to format it now. when I put the drive in I did not do
> anything
> in the bios. I just set the jumper plugged in the cables, put the computer
> back together and plugged it in.
> "XP" found the new hardware and installed it. So I just left it as is.
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> HI, Trace.
>>
>> If you can't even see the second HD in Disk Management, maybe your
>> computer
>> does not see it at all. Is it properly jumpered and cabled? Is it
>> enabled
>> in the computer BIOS? Does it show up when you first boot your computer?
>> What interface does it use: IDE, SCSI, SATA or ?? Is the interface the
>> same as for your first HD?
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Trace" <Trace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > I cannot see my 2nd hard drive in my computer or disc management how
>> > can I
>> > get it back. In the past few days I have not been able to access the
>> > secon=d
>> > hard drive, when I mouse over my "c" drive I see the box for free space
>> > left
>> > and total size. when I mouse over the second drive(when it was there) I
>> > get
>> > nothing. How can I fix that.
>> >
>> > Whne trying to format the drive after reading some posts, I got this
>> > message
>> > titled "Logical Disk Manager", and this message the format did not
>> > complete
>> > successfully. once I click ok the box showed how much gb and says
>> > healthy
>> > and actice(when I had the drive)
>> >
>> > thanks for any help
>> > --
>> > Thank You in Advance

I have an eMachines model T2682, and yes the computer boots to the logo, I
will have to give that a shot, and I will get back with you in a little bit

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Trace.
>
> If it was working and quit, that would seem to show that it was cabled
> properly. But hard drives do go bad, sometimes all at once and sometimes a
> little at a time. :>( And cables DO come loose, so it would not be a waste
> of time to open the case and check again. Yes, cable select is good, so use
> it since it is available in your computer.
>
> Since you haven't told me the make and model of your computer, I'm not sure
> what you should expect to see when you first turn it on. Mine "counts the
> RAM', then shows me a list of the HDs and a lot of other information before
> it even begins to load Windows. Some computer makers (like Dell) cover up
> this info with their logo, but you can press Escape (or some other key) to
> see the details. Does your computer do this? Does your suspect drive show
> up on this list? These things flash by pretty quickly, and you might have
> to reboot several times and even use the Pause key to have time to see it.
> But if your drive is not on this list, then that narrows down the areas
> where you should look for the problem and a fix.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Trace" <Trace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello R.C. I'm soory about reposting.
> >
> > to answer your question, i believe that it is properly cabled, and I have
> > it set up as cable select, is that proper? I wish I could tell you the
> > last
> > time that I accessed the drive, but it has been recently. I don't know how
> > fool around in the bios, so I don't. The interface is the same IDE,
> >
> > It weas working fine, then one day I tried to access it, there was a pause
> > (30 sec or more) then a box comes up and says that the disk is not
> > formatted
> > do you want to format it now. when I put the drive in I did not do
> > anything
> > in the bios. I just set the jumper plugged in the cables, put the computer
> > back together and plugged it in.
> > "XP" found the new hardware and installed it. So I just left it as is.
> >
> > "R. C. White" wrote:
> >
> >> HI, Trace.
> >>
> >> If you can't even see the second HD in Disk Management, maybe your
> >> computer
> >> does not see it at all. Is it properly jumpered and cabled? Is it
> >> enabled
> >> in the computer BIOS? Does it show up when you first boot your computer?
> >> What interface does it use: IDE, SCSI, SATA or ?? Is the interface the
> >> same as for your first HD?
> >>
> >> RC
> >>
> >> "Trace" <Trace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ok, I rebooted the system and got to see the boot sequence, yes both hard
drives show on the list but both of them say fixed next to them and then "0"
next to one and "1" next to the other (primary and secondary?)

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Trace.
>
> If it was working and quit, that would seem to show that it was cabled
> properly. But hard drives do go bad, sometimes all at once and sometimes a
> little at a time. :>( And cables DO come loose, so it would not be a waste
> of time to open the case and check again. Yes, cable select is good, so use
> it since it is available in your computer.
>
> Since you haven't told me the make and model of your computer, I'm not sure
> what you should expect to see when you first turn it on. Mine "counts the
> RAM', then shows me a list of the HDs and a lot of other information before
> it even begins to load Windows. Some computer makers (like Dell) cover up
> this info with their logo, but you can press Escape (or some other key) to
> see the details. Does your computer do this? Does your suspect drive show
> up on this list? These things flash by pretty quickly, and you might have
> to reboot several times and even use the Pause key to have time to see it.
> But if your drive is not on this list, then that narrows down the areas
> where you should look for the problem and a fix.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Trace" <Trace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello R.C. I'm soory about reposting.
> >
> > to answer your question, i believe that it is properly cabled, and I have
> > it set up as cable select, is that proper? I wish I could tell you the
> > last
> > time that I accessed the drive, but it has been recently. I don't know how
> > fool around in the bios, so I don't. The interface is the same IDE,
> >
> > It weas working fine, then one day I tried to access it, there was a pause
> > (30 sec or more) then a box comes up and says that the disk is not
> > formatted
> > do you want to format it now. when I put the drive in I did not do
> > anything
> > in the bios. I just set the jumper plugged in the cables, put the computer
> > back together and plugged it in.
> > "XP" found the new hardware and installed it. So I just left it as is.
> >
> > "R. C. White" wrote:
> >
> >> HI, Trace.
> >>
> >> If you can't even see the second HD in Disk Management, maybe your
> >> computer
> >> does not see it at all. Is it properly jumpered and cabled? Is it
> >> enabled
> >> in the computer BIOS? Does it show up when you first boot your computer?
> >> What interface does it use: IDE, SCSI, SATA or ?? Is the interface the
> >> same as for your first HD?
> >>
> >> RC
> >>
> >> "Trace" <Trace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi, Trace.

OK. One set of possibilities eliminated. ;<)

Yes, one drive - the primary master - should be labeled HDD-0 and the
other - either primary slave or secondary master or slave - would be HDD-1.
Even using Drive Select, the BIOS keeps track of them as 0 and 1.

These numbers apply even before "drive letters" are assigned. The BIOS
assigns letters according to its own rules (first primary partition on HDD-0
is C:, then other primary partitions, then logical drives, then devices such
as CD/DVD drives). Then Windows loads from the location pointed to by
C:\boot.ini (rdisk(#)partition(#)). WinXP reassigns drive letters according
to its own rules, which may be different from the BIOS. WinXP will attempt
to use your choice of letters if you have assigned them in Disk Management.

In Disk Management, you should see these same HD numbers. Do you see them?
They should be in the left-most box of the Graphical View, shown as Disk 0
and Disk 1. Immediately under the disk number should be the word "Basic"
(as opposed to a "Dynamic Disk"), and under that, the size of the HD. And
the bottom line should say "Online", indicating that the HD is ready for
use. Do you see all that?

Then, to the right of the HD box should be a graphical horizontal box. This
box may be divided into several smaller boxes, depending on how your drive
is partitioned. Check the top border color of the box against the color
code at the bottom left to see if it indicates a primary or extended
partition, or a logical drive or free space within the extended partition.
There may also be space outside any partition. While these boxes are not
really to scale, they do give a good indication of how your disk is divided.

If your HDD-1 does not show up at all in Disk Management, then post back and
tell us what you do see.

In some situations, a new HD needs to be Initialized (click Help for
details), but yours should not be in this situation since it was working
earlier.

RC
--

> Ok, I rebooted the system and got to see the boot sequence, yes both hard
> drives show on the list but both of them say fixed next to them and then
> "0"
> next to one and "1" next to the other (primary and secondary?)
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Trace.
>>
>> If it was working and quit, that would seem to show that it was cabled
>> properly. But hard drives do go bad, sometimes all at once and sometimes
>> little at a time. :>( And cables DO come loose, so it would not be a
>> waste
>> of time to open the case and check again. Yes, cable select is good, so
>> use
>> it since it is available in your computer.
>>
>> Since you haven't told me the make and model of your computer, I'm not
>> sure
>> what you should expect to see when you first turn it on. Mine "counts
>> the
>> RAM', then shows me a list of the HDs and a lot of other information
>> before
>> it even begins to load Windows. Some computer makers (like Dell) cover
>> up
>> this info with their logo, but you can press Escape (or some other key)
>> see the details. Does your computer do this? Does your suspect drive
>> show
>> up on this list? These things flash by pretty quickly, and you might
>> have
>> to reboot several times and even use the Pause key to have time to see
>> it.
>> But if your drive is not on this list, then that narrows down the areas
>> where you should look for the problem and a fix.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Trace" <Trace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello R.C. I'm soory about reposting.
>> >
>> > to answer your question, i believe that it is properly cabled, and I
>> > have
>> > it set up as cable select, is that proper? I wish I could tell you the
>> > last
>> > time that I accessed the drive, but it has been recently. I don't know
>> > how
>> > fool around in the bios, so I don't. The interface is the same IDE,
>> >
>> > It weas working fine, then one day I tried to access it, there was a
>> > pause
>> > (30 sec or more) then a box comes up and says that the disk is not
>> > formatted
>> > do you want to format it now. when I put the drive in I did not do
>> > anything
>> > in the bios. I just set the jumper plugged in the cables, put the
>> > computer
>> > back together and plugged it in.

OK, Disc 0 is there but no disc 1, all the other references are there. All I
have there is my "C" drive, with one partitionboth of which say healthy, my
dvd-rom drive and my cd-rw drive. It was listed in Disk Management but when I
tried to format the drive I get what the first post was all about

When trying to format the drive after reading some posts, I got this

when I tried to access it it would say that the drive is not formatted and
then asked if I would like to do so

trace