Bill
15 answers Last reply
More about video cards good

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 02:05:49 -0000, "Bill Ross" <nospam@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >If that is not a stupid question?
    >
    >Bill

    I'm probably not the person to ask, as I use video boards mostly for
    2D graphics and text, mostly for software development. Over the
    years I've had horrible luck with ATI. It's always a driver or
    firmware problem or something, and it inevitably costs me $40 or
    so on long distance calls, listening to hold music, and finally being
    told that the firmware on that particular (new) board has a problem.

    I've heard lots of similar stories, so I've never understood the
    popularity of ATI. However, some must have good luck with them or
    they would not be selling at all.

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:29:01 -0500, _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:

    >>I'm probably not the person to ask, as I use video boards mostly for
    >>2D graphics and text, mostly for software development. Over the
    >>years I've had horrible luck with ATI. It's always a driver or
    >>firmware problem or something, and it inevitably costs me $40 or
    >>so on long distance calls, listening to hold music, and finally being
    >>told that the firmware on that particular (new) board has a problem.
    >>
    >>I've heard lots of similar stories, so I've never understood the
    >>popularity of ATI. However, some must have good luck with them or
    >>they would not be selling at all.
    I've heard similar stories from my co-workers...they've had horrible
    luck with compatability issues.

    Both of the have had no problems with nVidia based video cards.

    From: "Bill Ross" <nospam@nospam.com>

    | If that is not a stupid question?
    |
    | Bill

    I use both a ATI video card (VGA) and an ATI video capture card.

    I have always been happy with ATI.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Bill Ross wrote:

    > If that is not a stupid question?
    >
    > Bill

    I've used ATI cards for years and years.
    There are those that swear up and down about problems, but then again
    they might not know how to follow directions.
    As a rule I find a stable set of drivers and dont upgrade to the latest
    just because they are newer. Unless the newer drivers are fixing a
    specific problem your having, or adding a feature you want/use then be
    lean in your driver upgrading.
    I suggest you DONT install the catalyst control centre. ATI has a habit
    of adding features thjat THEY think ppl want, which end up messing up
    other things, when they should spend their time fixing what is already in
    need of fixing. Personally i think thier application writing ppl are
    sadists. But I love thier products and graphics. I'm just not really fond
    of thier inhouse software.

    Anyone who spends $40 on phone calls to tech support, hasn't heard of a
    clean system build, is too lazy to search an faq, too busy to ask in a
    newsgroup, or has too much money to waste.

    ATI 2d is way more easy on the eyes than any nvidia offering ever.

    Hi, got to any NVidia forums and you'll find an equal number of references
    to buggy drivers as well. It's all down to a matter of personal choice
    really, no one manufacturer is worse than the other. Post up some system
    specs and we'll see if we can help you further. What you want to run as
    software will help as well, i.e games programmes.....
    ChrisC

    Bill Ross wrote:
    > If that is not a stupid question?

    My 9800 Pro has treate me well enough to just go out (well, stay in -
    gotta love the internet) and buy an X800XL.

    Thats despite using Linux a bit and having wafty 3D drivers for Linux,
    but they are working on them, and they are getting closer to the Windows
    drivers in performance.

    Ben

    Gordon Scott wrote:
    > Bill Ross wrote:
    >>
    >> If that is not a stupid question?
    >>
    >> Bill
    >
    > I've used ATI cards for years and years.
    > There are those that swear up and down about problems, but then again
    > they might not know how to follow directions.
    > As a rule I find a stable set of drivers and dont upgrade to the
    > latest just because they are newer. Unless the newer drivers are
    > fixing a specific problem your having, or adding a feature you
    > want/use then be lean in your driver upgrading.
    > I suggest you DONT install the catalyst control centre. ATI has a
    > habit of adding features thjat THEY think ppl want, which end up
    > messing up other things, when they should spend their time fixing
    > what is already in need of fixing. Personally i think thier
    > application writing ppl are sadists. But I love thier products and
    > graphics. I'm just not really fond of thier inhouse software.
    >
    > Anyone who spends $40 on phone calls to tech support, hasn't heard of
    > a clean system build, is too lazy to search an faq, too busy to ask
    > in a newsgroup, or has too much money to waste.
    >
    > ATI 2d is way more easy on the eyes than any nvidia offering ever.

    I have to agree with Gordon on all three points. Just yesterday I upgraded
    to the 6.14.10.6517 for Windows XP. They didn't work as well as previous
    drivers, so I rolled them back. No call to tech support, no need to perform
    a clean install.

    2D is better than Nvidia although not as good as Matrox.

    ati / nvidia on intel platform work quite well...I'de recomend an
    nvidia card with amd platform, especially if it's nforce.
    fyi

    timmy wrote:
    > ati / nvidia on intel platform work quite well...I'de recomend an
    > nvidia card with amd platform, especially if it's nforce.
    > fyi

    May I ask why?

    Ben

    It may be just my intuition, but there seems to be some
    re-occurring postings to indicate that there may be some relation to
    this phenomenon...nothing I can prove or swear by, except the simple
    fact that "nforce" is made by nvidia, yes ? So why would they want to
    optimize there chipsets for an "ATI" product that is their direct
    competitor.
    If I had an "nforce" board, I would buy nvidia, hands down...but if
    you look ay all the eroneous postings throughout this group, you
    probably have already come to that conclusion as well.
    I'm not picking a winner here, just a safe bet...

    timmy wrote:
    > It may be just my intuition, but there seems to be some
    > re-occurring postings to indicate that there may be some relation to
    > this phenomenon...nothing I can prove or swear by, except the simple
    > fact that "nforce" is made by nvidia, yes ? So why would they want to
    > optimize there chipsets for an "ATI" product that is their direct
    > competitor.
    > If I had an "nforce" board, I would buy nvidia, hands down...but if
    > you look ay all the eroneous postings throughout this group, you
    > probably have already come to that conclusion as well.
    > I'm not picking a winner here, just a safe bet...

    nVidia chipsets have AGP / PCIe buses that follow the spec for each BUS.

    Each AGP / PCIe card meets those specs and can run.

    You can run an ATI card on an nVidia chipset, or a nVidia card on an ATI
    chipset. It makes no odds.

    The performance tweaking ability for chipset-graphics cards interface is
    minimal if anything.

    You may have a point that nVidia probably design and test their chipsets
    and graphics cards together, but I doubt performance is affected either
    way. Of course that configuration is more tested initially, but by the
    time these things come to market, they pretty much work across the board.

    I'm running an ATI card on an nVidia chipset and it's flawless.

    My new system is an X800XL with nForce4 - I'm expecting that to be fine too.

    Ben

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:54:00 GMT, Gordon Scott
    <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote:

    >Bill Ross wrote:
    >>
    >> If that is not a stupid question?
    >>
    >> Bill
    >
    >I've used ATI cards for years and years.
    >There are those that swear up and down about problems, but then again
    >they might not know how to follow directions.

    >Anyone who spends $40 on phone calls to tech support, hasn't heard of a
    >clean system build, is too lazy to search an faq, too busy to ask in a
    >newsgroup, or has too much money to waste.

    Sorry if my reply touched a nerve. BTW, that would be $40 on phone
    calls AFTER searching through FAQs and asking in newsgroups. And FYI,
    none of the ATI techs had a clue about problems, so it's no wonder
    that the FAQs and newsgroups didn't cover them. It's a shame you
    weren't around to help. <g> Then again, maybe you're not running
    multiple hi-res DVI monitors.

    Re 'following directions,' I write software for a living, including
    device drivers. I've never had trouble installing any other brand of
    video board. I spent $40 on hold cause my client wanted to use them.
    I hope that clarifies things for you.

    If you've had good luck, then stay with 'em.

    thats great to hear, I was considering nforce4 with ATI's top end
    x850xt in favour of nvidias 6800ultra. Keep us posted on the new
    system as well !

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:13:49 +0100, Ben Pope

    timmy wrote:
    > thats great to hear, I was considering nforce4 with ATI's top end
    > x850xt in favour of nvidias 6800ultra. Keep us posted on the new
    > system as well !

    Of course.

    There's a new page on my website:
    http://www.ben.pope.name/a8n_faq.html

    Which is pretty empty at the moment.

    First job is to throw my old Deathstar in the new build and install
    Gentoo Linux.

    When thats done and I'm happy with it, I'll be swapping components from
    this machine into the new one, such as the Raptor, and installing
    Windows. Then making it usable as my primary machine.

    Then (hopefully) putting the Deathstar in this machine and Transferring
    the Gentoo install on this machine over to it (I'm not sure of the
    logistics yet!) to run full time as a Linux Server for... err... whatever.

    That might take a few days, but no doubt I'll be firing up the odd game
    to see how it flies. Perhaps Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, if it's out
    by then.

    I can't wait.

    Ben
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 02:05:49 -0000, in <alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>,
    "Bill Ross" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    > From: "Bill Ross" <nospam@nospam.com>
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
    > Subject: Are ATI Video Cards any good?
    [snip]

    First, put your entire query in the BODY of your articles.

    > If that is not a stupid question?

    [snip]

    A stupid question? In the interest of public civility, I'll decline comment
    on that. But it is unquestionably so general as to be pointless. ATI has
    been manufacturing video cards for at least 20 years. There have been,
    literally, HUNDREDS of models; and like any manufacturer's products, some of
    them were/are better than others.

    Similarly, some folks will repeatedly have horrible experiences with even the
    simplest and most drop-dead reliable products, while others will routinely
    perform feats of near-magic by getting flaky not-ready-for-retail products
    working smooth as silk.

    Perhaps if you gave *some* clue as to what you are trying to accomplish, you
    could get some meaningful answers.

    --

    Jay T. Blocksom

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
    Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
    47 USC S227 and State Law. Violators are subject to prosecution.

Asus Graphics Cards ATI Motherboards