Building a new system, how about ASUS P4P800E Deluxe 865PE..

Building a new system on a budget for my son, will run WIN XP, games and
internet. I dont want to spend too much but want to run a P4 and a few years
of use before the need to upgrade. I read about the P4P800E....is this a MB
to consider.....??? Im the owner of two P2BB's and very happy with the
service and lifetime I gotten back from them, definetely want to make my
next PC an ASUS one. Any reccomendation??? I dont mind being behind the
power curve and save a little bit.......

Thanks

Paul

Splendid

In article <78M0e.18578$ot.11848@tornado.texas.rr.com>, "Amolao"
<amolao@sw.rr.com> wrote:

> Building a new system on a budget for my son, will run WIN XP, games and
> internet. I dont want to spend too much but want to run a P4 and a few years
> of use before the need to upgrade. I read about the P4P800E....is this a MB
> to consider.....??? Im the owner of two P2BB's and very happy with the
> service and lifetime I gotten back from them, definetely want to make my
> next PC an ASUS one. Any reccomendation??? I dont mind being behind the
> power curve and save a little bit.......
>
> Thanks

There are a whole bunch of 875/865 boards to choose from.
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040712/i865-i875-mobos-01.html

If your son is planning on overclocking, then you should have
a look at this article. I bought a P4C800-E after reading this:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62275

Another board you could consider, is the Asus P5P800. It would be
minus Firewire and minus the Promise 20378 RAID controller, but it
accepts the newer LGA775 processor. It is about $20 cheaper for
the motherboard. Uses DDR memory, AGP card.

Retail 3.2C Northwood S478 $274 (has heatsink/fan)
OEM 3.0C Northwood S478 $197 (need heatsink/fan)
OEM 2.8C Northwood S478 $189 (need heatsink/fan)
Retail 3.0E Prescott S478 $178 (has heatsink/fan)
Retail 3.2E Prescott S478 $215 (has heatsink/fan)

P4 520 2.8Ghz Prescott LGA775 $159 (retail - has heatsink/fan)
P4 540J 3.2Ghz Prescott LGA775 $224 (retail - has heatsink/fan)

Of the Prescotts, the 540J will run the coolest at idle.
But the Northwoods do a little better in that regard.
(Retail packaged processors come with a heatsink/fan, while
OEM have just the processor chip in a plastic tray.)

I guess what you choose, might depend on whether a warm computer
bothers you or not. If the install is in a location without
air conditioning, the room might end up getting a bit warmer
with the new computer. The P4P800-E plus a 2.8C would make
a nice solution. The P5P800 plus a 540J (3.2Ghz) would be
in the same ballpark pricewise, and you get a bit higher clock
speed, and the room gets a bit warmer. (Warm computers bother
me, and after reviewing the numbers, I would still have to
choose the P4P800-E and a Northwood.)

You will need a power supply with at least a 12V@15amp output
rating. P4 systems have a 2x2 square power connector for the
12V power that feeds the Vcore regulator for the processor.
So, a new power supply will be needed, if you are used to
P2B boards. Newegg has pictures of many products, and you
can also read the current output ratings. You can also use
the following site, to get some idea of what size power supply
is required, or at least get an estimate of how many amps are
needed on +12V. Usually on power supplies, one rail is loaded
more heavily than the others, and that is +12V in this case.
(fill out the entries from top to bottom)

http://takaman.jp/D/?english

For either board, the best memory config is dual channel.
That means buying two identical memory DIMMs. If you had
planned on a 512MB system, you would buy 2x256MB. For
a 1GB total system, buy 2x512MB. PC3200 CAS3 memory should
work fine with the 865 (or 875) Northbridge. Only buy CAS2
is you have money to burn, or can find a good deal.
A good place to get quality RAM is Crucial.com

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P4P800-E+Deluxe&submit=Go

Other things to check - processor type versus BIOS version.
When the board arrives, look at the paper label on the BIOS
chip, to see if the BIOS is recent enough to run the processor.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Also, download the PDF manual for your planned new board, before
buying it. Look at the BIOS screens, to see what settings are
available. The two boards above don't have any killer issues
in the BIOS, but it pays to be forewarned by reading the manual
first.

For the case, I would recommend an 80mm fan in the bottom front
of the case, and an 80mm fan in the top rear of the case. If
you get a fan adjuster like the Zalman fanmate (or a drive tray
rheobus), you can adjust the fan speed, to trade off case temp
versus noise. Some power supplies have fan-only power outputs,
which can be used to power the fans, but I find they run the
fans a little too slow.

Have fun,
Paul

Paul wrote:
> In article <78M0e.18578$ot.11848@tornado.texas.rr.com>, "Amolao"
> <amolao@sw.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Building a new system on a budget for my son, will run WIN XP, games and
>>internet. I dont want to spend too much but want to run a P4 and a few years
>>of use before the need to upgrade. I read about the P4P800E....is this a MB
>>to consider.....??? Im the owner of two P2BB's and very happy with the
>>service and lifetime I gotten back from them, definetely want to make my
>>next PC an ASUS one. Any reccomendation??? I dont mind being behind the
>>power curve and save a little bit.......
>>
>>Thanks
>

> There are a whole bunch of 875/865 boards to choose from.
> http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040712/i865-i875-mobos-01.html
>
> If your son is planning on overclocking, then you should have
> a look at this article. I bought a P4C800-E after reading this:
>
> http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62275
>
> Another board you could consider, is the Asus P5P800. It would be
> minus Firewire and minus the Promise 20378 RAID controller, but it
> accepts the newer LGA775 processor. It is about $20 cheaper for
> the motherboard. Uses DDR memory, AGP card.
>
> Retail 3.2C Northwood S478 $274 (has heatsink/fan)
> OEM 3.0C Northwood S478 $197 (need heatsink/fan)
> OEM 2.8C Northwood S478 $189 (need heatsink/fan)
> Retail 3.0E Prescott S478 $178 (has heatsink/fan)
> Retail 3.2E Prescott S478 $215 (has heatsink/fan)
>
> P4 520 2.8Ghz Prescott LGA775 $159 (retail - has heatsink/fan)
> P4 540J 3.2Ghz Prescott LGA775 $224 (retail - has heatsink/fan)
>
> Of the Prescotts, the 540J will run the coolest at idle.
> But the Northwoods do a little better in that regard.
> (Retail packaged processors come with a heatsink/fan, while
> OEM have just the processor chip in a plastic tray.)
>
> I guess what you choose, might depend on whether a warm computer
> bothers you or not. If the install is in a location without
> air conditioning, the room might end up getting a bit warmer
> with the new computer. The P4P800-E plus a 2.8C would make
> a nice solution. The P5P800 plus a 540J (3.2Ghz) would be
> in the same ballpark pricewise, and you get a bit higher clock
> speed, and the room gets a bit warmer. (Warm computers bother
> me, and after reviewing the numbers, I would still have to
> choose the P4P800-E and a Northwood.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that the processor on the P4P800 and
the P5P800 is at the top of the motherboard. If you have a mid tower it
will probably get too hot as there is no clearance between the CPU and
the power supply. I had to get a bigger case for my P5P800 to get the
temperatures to a reasonable level. The case also had a top blow hole
fan and a side fan to help move the air away from the heat sink.

> You will need a power supply with at least a 12V@15amp output
> rating. P4 systems have a 2x2 square power connector for the
> 12V power that feeds the Vcore regulator for the processor.
> So, a new power supply will be needed, if you are used to
> P2B boards. Newegg has pictures of many products, and you
> can also read the current output ratings. You can also use
> the following site, to get some idea of what size power supply
> is required, or at least get an estimate of how many amps are
> needed on +12V. Usually on power supplies, one rail is loaded
> more heavily than the others, and that is +12V in this case.
> (fill out the entries from top to bottom)
>
> http://takaman.jp/D/?english
>
> For either board, the best memory config is dual channel.
> That means buying two identical memory DIMMs. If you had
> planned on a 512MB system, you would buy 2x256MB. For
> a 1GB total system, buy 2x512MB. PC3200 CAS3 memory should
> work fine with the 865 (or 875) Northbridge. Only buy CAS2
> is you have money to burn, or can find a good deal.
> A good place to get quality RAM is Crucial.com
>
> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P4P800-E+Deluxe&submit=Go
>
> Other things to check - processor type versus BIOS version.
> When the board arrives, look at the paper label on the BIOS
> chip, to see if the BIOS is recent enough to run the processor.
>
> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
>
> Also, download the PDF manual for your planned new board, before
> buying it. Look at the BIOS screens, to see what settings are
> available. The two boards above don't have any killer issues
> in the BIOS, but it pays to be forewarned by reading the manual
> first.
>
> For the case, I would recommend an 80mm fan in the bottom front
> of the case, and an 80mm fan in the top rear of the case. If
> you get a fan adjuster like the Zalman fanmate (or a drive tray
> rheobus), you can adjust the fan speed, to trade off case temp
> versus noise. Some power supplies have fan-only power outputs,
> which can be used to power the fans, but I find they run the
> fans a little too slow.
>
> Have fun,
> Paul

Thank you guys for the great info, another thing I noticed on the group is
the bunch of people having problems with the P4P800....:( will it be safe to
go with this Mobo.?.....I know that any product will fail sometime or
another but I never seen issues with other classics like the P2B series.....

thanks
"Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>> When the board arrives, look at the paper label on the BIOS
>> chip, to see if the BIOS is recent enough to run the processor.
>>
>> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
>>
>> Also, download the PDF manual for your planned new board, before
>> buying it. Look at the BIOS screens, to see what settings are
>> available. The two boards above don't have any killer issues
>> in the BIOS, but it pays to be forewarned by reading the manual
>> first.
>>
>> For the case, I would recommend an 80mm fan in the bottom front
>> of the case, and an 80mm fan in the top rear of the case. If
>> you get a fan adjuster like the Zalman fanmate (or a drive tray
>> rheobus), you can adjust the fan speed, to trade off case temp versus
>> noise. Some power supplies have fan-only power outputs,
>> which can be used to power the fans, but I find they run the

I just completed building a new system based on P4P800-E Deluxe. I
bought this board to save a couple of bucks, I was recommended the
P4C800 Deluxe. I am not happy at all with this board - too many
nagging small problems. To get it working I've spent too much time on
it already. I won't recommend it.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:36:08 GMT, "Amolao" <amolao@sw.rr.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> When the board arrives, look at the paper label on the BIOS
>>> chip, to see if the BIOS is recent enough to run the processor.
>>>
>>> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
>>>
>>> Also, download the PDF manual for your planned new board, before
>>> buying it. Look at the BIOS screens, to see what settings are
>>> available. The two boards above don't have any killer issues
>>> in the BIOS, but it pays to be forewarned by reading the manual
>>> first.
>>>
>>> For the case, I would recommend an 80mm fan in the bottom front
>>> of the case, and an 80mm fan in the top rear of the case. If
>>> you get a fan adjuster like the Zalman fanmate (or a drive tray
>>> rheobus), you can adjust the fan speed, to trade off case temp versus
>>> noise. Some power supplies have fan-only power outputs,
>>> which can be used to power the fans, but I find they run the

I had the P4P800D and it seemed to work great, until I realized I
was going through video cards every 3 months...After 6 months it
wouldn't run nvidia cards and it blew out my ATI card.
I rma'd it and the replacement board is the P4P800e-deluxe. I'm
running raid on the promise controler and looking forward to adding
some sata drives on the intel raid controler. This board has all the
features you will need, but I just don't know if it will stand the
test of time. Performance wise, it will be just fine.
An interesting note here is that I'm on my 3rd year with several
systems I built based on the 865pe chipset @533mhz(P4PE533). Rock
stable and good solid performers. Since Asus(intel) added 800mhz to
this chipset, they definately have had their share of failures, a good
share do to north bridge heat problems.
It is a good board, give priority to good airflow with a decent
case that includes no less than 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan.

ps: my P3B is still serving...heh...

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:36:08 GMT, "Amolao" <amolao@sw.rr.com> wrote:

>Thank you guys for the great info, another thing I noticed on the group is
>the bunch of people having problems with the P4P800....:( will it be safe to
>go with this Mobo.?.....I know that any product will fail sometime or
>another but I never seen issues with other classics like the P2B series.....

---MAJOR SNIPAGE---