Canon i860 vs i960 Opinions, Please ?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hello:

Really new at this.

Looking for a houshold photo printer to use with a new digital camera.
Pretty light usage frankly. Some photos, some text, but not all that much
each day.
Output speed for text not important.

Would of course like really good 4x6 (mainly) prints.

Might someone offer their general opinions on the Canon i860 vs their i960,
please ?
i960 "worth" the additional $50 ?

Is it true the text output from the i960 isn't as good, as I heard they make
black for text by mixing colors, while the i860 has a dedicated black for
text. ?

Consumables cost for each approx. the same, even though the i960 has more
tanks ?

Much thanks,
Bob
10 answers Last reply
More about canon i860 i960 opinions
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    I just recently posted the same query, I opted for the i-960 and am so glad
    I made that choice. The machine is awesome.
    Frank
    "Robert11" <rgsxrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:qridnWjy-67LbTDd4p2dnA@comcast.com...
    > Hello:
    >
    > Really new at this.
    >
    > Looking for a houshold photo printer to use with a new digital camera.
    > Pretty light usage frankly. Some photos, some text, but not all that much
    > each day.
    > Output speed for text not important.
    >
    > Would of course like really good 4x6 (mainly) prints.
    >
    > Might someone offer their general opinions on the Canon i860 vs their
    i960,
    > please ?
    > i960 "worth" the additional $50 ?
    >
    > Is it true the text output from the i960 isn't as good, as I heard they
    make
    > black for text by mixing colors, while the i860 has a dedicated black for
    > text. ?
    >
    > Consumables cost for each approx. the same, even though the i960 has more
    > tanks ?
    >
    > Much thanks,
    > Bob
    >
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    This is a dye based printer.The text looks excellemt but it will be slow at
    it.
    If there are some graphics with the text it will outdo the I860 in speed.
    Only the 4 color inkjets mix colors to make a black in photos.Colors are dye
    based.
    The reason for this is the black is pigmented base like Epsons Durabrite
    ink.

    "J. Frank Freeman" <frank@airedalebreeders.com> wrote in message
    news:ZJmrc.283$4Q1.181@fe39.usenetserver.com...
    >I just recently posted the same query, I opted for the i-960 and am so glad
    > I made that choice. The machine is awesome.
    > Frank
    > "Robert11" <rgsxrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > news:qridnWjy-67LbTDd4p2dnA@comcast.com...
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> Really new at this.
    >>
    >> Looking for a houshold photo printer to use with a new digital camera.
    >> Pretty light usage frankly. Some photos, some text, but not all that
    >> much
    >> each day.
    >> Output speed for text not important.
    >>
    >> Would of course like really good 4x6 (mainly) prints.
    >>
    >> Might someone offer their general opinions on the Canon i860 vs their
    > i960,
    >> please ?
    >> i960 "worth" the additional $50 ?
    >>
    >> Is it true the text output from the i960 isn't as good, as I heard they
    > make
    >> black for text by mixing colors, while the i860 has a dedicated black for
    >> text. ?
    >>
    >> Consumables cost for each approx. the same, even though the i960 has more
    >> tanks ?
    >>
    >> Much thanks,
    >> Bob
    >>
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In the long run you get what you pay for. The 960 is a far better quality
    photoprinter, in part because of its use of multiple color inks. If your
    interest in photography and print quality deepens you will not regret the
    extra $50 for the 960 which is capable of very high end photoprinting.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Hi Mike:

    Thanks for reply.

    Isn't the black text on the 960 made by mixing colors, while the 860 has a
    dedicated text black ink cartridge ?

    Thought this was the reason there were so many comments on some groups that
    the text on the 960 is a "bit" inferior ?

    How do you find the 960 text quality ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    -----------------

    "Michael Grey" <greyt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:6Vmrc.88927$536.15011200@attbi_s03...
    > This is a dye based printer.The text looks excellemt but it will be slow
    at
    > it.
    > If there are some graphics with the text it will outdo the I860 in speed.
    > Only the 4 color inkjets mix colors to make a black in photos.Colors are
    dye
    > based.
    > The reason for this is the black is pigmented base like Epsons Durabrite
    > ink.
    >
    > "J. Frank Freeman" <frank@airedalebreeders.com> wrote in message
    > news:ZJmrc.283$4Q1.181@fe39.usenetserver.com...
    > >I just recently posted the same query, I opted for the i-960 and am so
    glad
    > > I made that choice. The machine is awesome.
    > > Frank
    > > "Robert11" <rgsxrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > news:qridnWjy-67LbTDd4p2dnA@comcast.com...
    > >> Hello:
    > >>
    > >> Really new at this.
    > >>
    > >> Looking for a houshold photo printer to use with a new digital camera.
    > >> Pretty light usage frankly. Some photos, some text, but not all that
    > >> much
    > >> each day.
    > >> Output speed for text not important.
    > >>
    > >> Would of course like really good 4x6 (mainly) prints.
    > >>
    > >> Might someone offer their general opinions on the Canon i860 vs their
    > > i960,
    > >> please ?
    > >> i960 "worth" the additional $50 ?
    > >>
    > >> Is it true the text output from the i960 isn't as good, as I heard they
    > > make
    > >> black for text by mixing colors, while the i860 has a dedicated black
    for
    > >> text. ?
    > >>
    > >> Consumables cost for each approx. the same, even though the i960 has
    more
    > >> tanks ?
    > >>
    > >> Much thanks,
    > >> Bob
    > >>
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    'Robert',

    Do you realise that the i860 has a PictBridge capability which enables
    you to print photos. direct from the printer, provided that the camera
    is also PictBridge compatible?

    http://www.electronicselection.com/review.php?product=114

    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Canon%20i865/page_1.htm
    (The i865 is the European version of the i860, the difference being that
    the former also prints on CD's)

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.


    "bmoag" <aetoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:87prc.51958$sK7.21765@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com...
    > In the long run you get what you pay for. The 960 is a far better
    quality
    > photoprinter, in part because of its use of multiple color inks. If
    your
    > interest in photography and print quality deepens you will not regret
    the
    > extra $50 for the 960 which is capable of very high end photoprinting.
    >
    >
  6. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    The i860 uses two blacks (one for color and one for black text) which
    may be why some feel the text is better on it than on the i960 which
    only uses dye-based black.
    However, the i860 prints black text at 600x600 and color at 4800x1200
    whereas the i960 prints both black and colored at 4800x1200.

    For what it's worth, I have a i9900 which uses the same black ink as
    the i960 for text and it is superb.

    Rob

    "Robert11" <rgsxrose@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Hi Mike:
    >
    >Thanks for reply.
    >
    >Isn't the black text on the 960 made by mixing colors, while the 860 has a
    >dedicated text black ink cartridge ?
    >
    >Thought this was the reason there were so many comments on some groups that
    >the text on the 960 is a "bit" inferior ?
    >
    >How do you find the 960 text quality ?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bob
    >-----------------
    >
    >"Michael Grey" <greyt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >news:6Vmrc.88927$536.15011200@attbi_s03...
    >> This is a dye based printer.The text looks excellemt but it will be slow
    >at
    >> it.
    >> If there are some graphics with the text it will outdo the I860 in speed.
    >> Only the 4 color inkjets mix colors to make a black in photos.Colors are
    >dye
    >> based.
    >> The reason for this is the black is pigmented base like Epsons Durabrite
    >> ink.
    >>
    >> "J. Frank Freeman" <frank@airedalebreeders.com> wrote in message
    >> news:ZJmrc.283$4Q1.181@fe39.usenetserver.com...
    >> >I just recently posted the same query, I opted for the i-960 and am so
    >glad
    >> > I made that choice. The machine is awesome.
    >> > Frank
    >> > "Robert11" <rgsxrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > news:qridnWjy-67LbTDd4p2dnA@comcast.com...
    >> >> Hello:
    >> >>
    >> >> Really new at this.
    >> >>
    >> >> Looking for a houshold photo printer to use with a new digital camera.
    >> >> Pretty light usage frankly. Some photos, some text, but not all that
    >> >> much
    >> >> each day.
    >> >> Output speed for text not important.
    >> >>
    >> >> Would of course like really good 4x6 (mainly) prints.
    >> >>
    >> >> Might someone offer their general opinions on the Canon i860 vs their
    >> > i960,
    >> >> please ?
    >> >> i960 "worth" the additional $50 ?
    >> >>
    >> >> Is it true the text output from the i960 isn't as good, as I heard they
    >> > make
    >> >> black for text by mixing colors, while the i860 has a dedicated black
    >for
    >> >> text. ?
    >> >>
    >> >> Consumables cost for each approx. the same, even though the i960 has
    >more
    >> >> tanks ?
    >> >>
    >> >> Much thanks,
    >> >> Bob
    >> >>
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >>
    >>
  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    I have a Canon i860 and am very pleased with it. However, having
    always been an HP person, I am disappointed with the print quality for
    black text. The i860 in standard mode is nowhere near as dark and
    crisp as my HP P1100 in draft mode. The HP print is as black as my
    laserjet. The Canon is dark gray at best. Because I have to run the
    Canon in standard mode to get even close to the HP in draft mode, I
    wonder how much of the touted saving there will really be in the black
    cartridges.

    Dick

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:48:05 -0400, Rob
    <tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >The i860 uses two blacks (one for color and one for black text) which
    >may be why some feel the text is better on it than on the i960 which
    >only uses dye-based black.
    >However, the i860 prints black text at 600x600 and color at 4800x1200
    >whereas the i960 prints both black and colored at 4800x1200.
    >
    >For what it's worth, I have a i9900 which uses the same black ink as
    >the i960 for text and it is superb.
    >
    >Rob
  8. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    How would either of these compare with the Epson R200 in terms of
    quality?

    In message <2h71v3F9sb2nU1@uni-berlin.de>, Emrys Davies <me@privacy.net>
    writes
    >'Robert',
    >
    >Do you realise that the i860 has a PictBridge capability which enables
    >you to print photos. direct from the printer, provided that the camera
    >is also PictBridge compatible?
    >
    >http://www.electronicselection.com/review.php?product=114
    >
    >http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Canon%20i865/page_1.htm
    >(The i865 is the European version of the i860, the difference being that
    >the former also prints on CD's)
    >
    >Regards,
    >Emrys Davies.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >"bmoag" <aetoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >news:87prc.51958$sK7.21765@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com...
    >> In the long run you get what you pay for. The 960 is a far better
    >quality
    >> photoprinter, in part because of its use of multiple color inks. If
    >your
    >> interest in photography and print quality deepens you will not regret
    >the
    >> extra $50 for the 960 which is capable of very high end photoprinting.
    >>
    >>
    >
    >

    --
    Chris Wilson
  9. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Dick wrote:

    >I have a Canon i860 and am very pleased with it. However, having
    >always been an HP person, I am disappointed with the print quality for
    >black text. The i860 in standard mode is nowhere near as dark and
    >crisp as my HP P1100 in draft mode. The HP print is as black as my
    >laserjet. The Canon is dark gray at best. Because I have to run the
    >Canon in standard mode to get even close to the HP in draft mode, I
    >wonder how much of the touted saving there will really be in the black
    >cartridges.

    I used to be an HP fan also, but have switched to Canon for the cost
    savings.

    I have an i850, and it sounds like you're printing black with mixed
    colours instead of the pure black cartridge.

    When you want to print text or black only, select "Grayscale printing"
    in the settings. Then it will print using the black only cartridge and
    it should be just as good as your HP.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:50:24 -0400, Bill <bill@c.a> wrote:

    >Dick wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Canon i860 and am very pleased with it. However, having
    >>always been an HP person, I am disappointed with the print quality for
    >>black text. The i860 in standard mode is nowhere near as dark and
    >>crisp as my HP P1100 in draft mode. The HP print is as black as my
    >>laserjet. The Canon is dark gray at best. Because I have to run the
    >>Canon in standard mode to get even close to the HP in draft mode, I
    >>wonder how much of the touted saving there will really be in the black
    >>cartridges.
    >
    >I used to be an HP fan also, but have switched to Canon for the cost
    >savings.
    >
    >I have an i850, and it sounds like you're printing black with mixed
    >colours instead of the pure black cartridge.
    >
    >When you want to print text or black only, select "Grayscale printing"
    >in the settings. Then it will print using the black only cartridge and
    >it should be just as good as your HP.

    Thanks. I will try that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Printers Cameras Canon Peripherals