what did i do wrong in setup

p4c800e ,2-wd80 gig sata,1-wd 160 gig ide,lg 4163 dvdrw,benq 52 cdrw.i had
setup in bios promise raid .i wanted to have the 2 sata raid 0 for primary
drive the 160 ide for storage.i have the sata on raid 1 the 160 on the
promise ide and the dvd rw on ide 1 the benq on ide 2.they are all new but
the sata show striped 0 total 160 gig show the dvd rw and the cdrw but can
not get the 160 gig if get the promise set in bios to ide it will not raid
the sata and bootup .windows xp pro sp2 loaded to sata before hooking up 160
..tried putting it on ide1 as master and 2 burners on ide2 .win picks it up
and shows it as disk drive in device manager but can not access it .
5 answers Last reply
More about what wrong setup

    My eyes hurt. Anyway...

    Hey, I have the same setup.
    I use ICH6R for my 2 sata drives RAID0 and IT8212 for my IDE drive.

    Windows didn't notice my IDE drive. Then I noticed in my device
    manager there was a "Mass Storage Controller". It came to me, oh
    right, the driver. After installing the IT8212 driver. Window was
    able to detect the IDE drive.

    Well, what I'm trying to say is, maybe you need to install the promise
    driver.

    k, bye.

    DID you ever go to SCHOOL??????????

    In article <zK_0e.4902$Ln.226680@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "Andre
    LaFramboise" <razz@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

    > p4c800e ,2-wd80 gig sata,1-wd 160 gig ide,lg 4163 dvdrw,benq 52 cdrw.i had
    > setup in bios promise raid .i wanted to have the 2 sata raid 0 for primary
    > drive the 160 ide for storage.i have the sata on raid 1 the 160 on the
    > promise ide and the dvd rw on ide 1 the benq on ide 2.they are all new but
    > the sata show striped 0 total 160 gig show the dvd rw and the cdrw but can
    > not get the 160 gig if get the promise set in bios to ide it will not raid
    > the sata and bootup .windows xp pro sp2 loaded to sata before hooking up 160
    > .tried putting it on ide1 as master and 2 burners on ide2 .win picks it up
    > and shows it as disk drive in device manager but can not access it .

    Let me see if I have this straight:

    P4C800-E Deluxe
    (2) western digital 80GB SATA drives (boot array, RAID0, ICH5R ports)
    (1) western digital 160GB IDE drive (data drive - Promise IDE)
    (1) LG 4163 DVD/RW (IDE cable 1 on ICH5R)
    (1) Benq 52x CDRW (IDE cable 2 on ICH5R)

    From your description, you installed WinXP SP2 on the RAID0,
    with the 160GB IDE drive disconnected. That is a good way to
    do it. Now, whether you connect the 160GB drive to either
    the Promise chip (when it is set to IDE), or to the ICH5R,
    you say you cannot access the 160GB IDE drive.

    1) Set Promise to IDE in the BIOS, then install the Promise
    "ATA" driver in Windows. Go to Disk Management and format the
    drive. I have only used WinXP once, for a short time, and
    that step had me stumped for a while as well. Here is a
    picture of Disk Management.

    http://www.credochs.org/courses/IT/win2000/images/disk1.jpg

    2) Instructions for what to do next, are here. Basically right
    click on the disk, then select "format":

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309000

    The comments from the other poster, have to do with punctuation.
    Breaking your post into separate paragraphs, with a complete
    thought in each one, will make your post easier to read, and
    easier to respond to. Just some friendly advice.

    My writing style leaves a lot to be desired too, so I am the
    last person who should be giving lectures :-)

    Paul

    thanks paul i did not want to make it to long with all the info.
    i was hoping not to format the 160 and loose all the info i have on it just
    swap from other system were it was used as storage aswell.
    plus the raid show space as 160 gig and if 2 -80 gig are striped should it
    not be 1- 80 gig in windows then.
    i tried to use them on the intel south brige but i got to install part and
    windows could not find them.which drivers should i use on a floppy and hit
    the f6 key on install.
    or which raid is faster the promise or the intel south bridge. thanks
    > In article <zK_0e.4902$Ln.226680@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "Andre
    > LaFramboise" <razz@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    >> p4c800e ,2-wd80 gig sata,1-wd 160 gig ide,lg 4163 dvdrw,benq 52 cdrw.i
    >> had
    >> setup in bios promise raid .i wanted to have the 2 sata raid 0 for
    >> primary
    >> drive the 160 ide for storage.i have the sata on raid 1 the 160 on the
    >> promise ide and the dvd rw on ide 1 the benq on ide 2.they are all new
    >> but
    >> the sata show striped 0 total 160 gig show the dvd rw and the cdrw but
    >> can
    >> not get the 160 gig if get the promise set in bios to ide it will not
    >> raid
    >> the sata and bootup .windows xp pro sp2 loaded to sata before hooking up
    >> 160
    >> .tried putting it on ide1 as master and 2 burners on ide2 .win picks it
    >> up
    >> and shows it as disk drive in device manager but can not access it .
    >
    > Let me see if I have this straight:
    >
    > P4C800-E Deluxe
    > (2) western digital 80GB SATA drives (boot array, RAID0, ICH5R ports)
    > (1) western digital 160GB IDE drive (data drive - Promise IDE)
    > (1) LG 4163 DVD/RW (IDE cable 1 on ICH5R)
    > (1) Benq 52x CDRW (IDE cable 2 on ICH5R)
    >
    > From your description, you installed WinXP SP2 on the RAID0,
    > with the 160GB IDE drive disconnected. That is a good way to
    > do it. Now, whether you connect the 160GB drive to either
    > the Promise chip (when it is set to IDE), or to the ICH5R,
    > you say you cannot access the 160GB IDE drive.
    >
    > 1) Set Promise to IDE in the BIOS, then install the Promise
    > "ATA" driver in Windows. Go to Disk Management and format the
    > drive. I have only used WinXP once, for a short time, and
    > that step had me stumped for a while as well. Here is a
    > picture of Disk Management.
    >
    > http://www.credochs.org/courses/IT/win2000/images/disk1.jpg
    >
    > 2) Instructions for what to do next, are here. Basically right
    > click on the disk, then select "format":
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309000
    >
    > The comments from the other poster, have to do with punctuation.
    > Breaking your post into separate paragraphs, with a complete
    > thought in each one, will make your post easier to read, and
    > easier to respond to. Just some friendly advice.
    >
    > My writing style leaves a lot to be desired too, so I am the
    > last person who should be giving lectures :-)
    >
    > Paul

    well i check ever thing and the only way to get windows to see the 160 gig
    was to format darn.but that is ok i still have most of the files on my other
    system were i have not format that c drive yet so i can burn to cd.now to
    fix the sata raid thing .
> [...]
    >>
    >> 1) Set Promise to IDE in the BIOS, then install the Promise
    >> "ATA" driver in Windows. Go to Disk Management and format the
    >> drive. I have only used WinXP once, for a short time, and
    >> that step had me stumped for a while as well. Here is a
    >> picture of Disk Management.
    >>
    >> http://www.credochs.org/courses/IT/win2000/images/disk1.jpg
    >>
    >> 2) Instructions for what to do next, are here. Basically right
    >> click on the disk, then select "format":
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309000
    >>
    >> The comments from the other poster, have to do with punctuation.
    >> Breaking your post into separate paragraphs, with a complete
    >> thought in each one, will make your post easier to read, and
    >> easier to respond to. Just some friendly advice.
    >>
    >> My writing style leaves a lot to be desired too, so I am the
    >> last person who should be giving lectures :-)

Asus SATA NAS / RAID DVD RW Motherboards