Where are printer drivers in windows 7 install cd

ttomy

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
At work, I just got my first PC with Windows 7 Pro as the OS. I am struggling with the installation of network printers. My question is where can I find printer drivers (or any kind of drivers) in the windows 7 installation CD? I went to the HP website to find the printer drivers I need and all I get is 'your driver is part of your windows 7 installation cd/dvd".
So in which subfolder are these drivers and how do I update my printer driver? Thanks :(

As an FYI, I connected to my domain without a problem. The network still running on Windows 2000 Server.

w7pro

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Provided that everything is connected properly, these should just be part of the installation and not individualized. However, if you have completed installation and there aren't drivers for your printer, you can try doing an immediate Windows Update to see if they'll show up after that.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

msusey

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

If ttomy's situation is anything like mine (I'm trying to connect to a printer on an existing networked computer), then the issue isn't that the needed driver isn't "there" - the issue is that Windows doesn't realize that the driver is "there"...

In this situation, the user winds up facing this aggravatingly unhelpful roadblock; at this point, [1] it's impossible to tell Windows that it missed the connection, [2] there's no avenue to be able to otherwise select or download the proper driver, and [3] OEM's are apparently under the impression that the driver is "part of a windows 7 installation" and, therefore, won't grant access to a link to get it (honestly, OEM's, if I took the time & effort to locate your driver, then why why WHY would you tell me that I don't need it???)...

To clarify, after being hit with this roadblock the first time, I tried to install the printer as if it were directly connected to the new machine. This wasn't going to work, of course, but then [A] it allowed me to see that the driver that I needed was NOT already there, and then, too, it allowed me to use Windows to "update" the driver list to actually include the one that I needed. However, this didn't make one bit of difference in the whole process, which then led me to more internet queries and, ultimately, to this forum...