New DVD Drive Causes Computer to not boot up???

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just bought a lite on dvd drive for my computer. I
have a pentium 4 2.4 ghz processor with a gigabyte of ram
and am running win xp. I had a regular cd drive which is
set as my master drive. I also have a sony dru 510a dvd
burner which is set as the slave drive. Those drives
lead to one of their interface ports on my mobo. The
other port has a single ide cable and went from my hard
drive to the mobo. My hard drive is a seagate barricuda
4 60gb hd. I changed the ide cable so i could put my new
dvd reading drive into my computer. The ide cable then
went from the new dvd drive to the hard drive to the
mobo. I set the dvd drive on slave, then booted up.
Instantly i got a boot failure: system haulted. I then
tried putting the new dvd drive on master and same result
when i booted up. I decided to take out my old cd drive
and put the dvd drive in there instead. I set the new
dvd drive to master (the dvd burner is on slave) and then
replaced the ide cable which i had used before on my hd
and hooked the ide from the hd to the mobo. I then
started up the computer again and once again i got boot
failure: system haulted. I have no idea what i did
wrong. Any ideas from anyone? Please help!

"Dan" <dan_heinrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a lite on dvd drive for my computer. I
> have a pentium 4 2.4 ghz processor with a gigabyte of ram
> and am running win xp. I had a regular cd drive which is
> set as my master drive. I also have a sony dru 510a dvd
> burner which is set as the slave drive. Those drives
> lead to one of their interface ports on my mobo. The
> other port has a single ide cable and went from my hard
> drive to the mobo. My hard drive is a seagate barricuda
> 4 60gb hd. I changed the ide cable so i could put my new
> dvd reading drive into my computer. The ide cable then
> went from the new dvd drive to the hard drive to the
> mobo. I set the dvd drive on slave, then booted up.
> Instantly i got a boot failure: system haulted. I then
> tried putting the new dvd drive on master and same result
> when i booted up. I decided to take out my old cd drive
> and put the dvd drive in there instead. I set the new
> dvd drive to master (the dvd burner is on slave) and then
> replaced the ide cable which i had used before on my hd
> and hooked the ide from the hd to the mobo. I then
> started up the computer again and once again i got boot
> failure: system haulted. I have no idea what i did
> wrong. Any ideas from anyone? Please help!

It's too late in the day for me to follow the twists and turns
of your post, but you might check and make sure that your
hard drive is jumpered to master, and any other device on
that cable is jumpered to slave, and that the cable (the one
your hard drive is on) is plugged into the primary IDE
socket (usually IDE0) on your mainboard.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

Check the jumper on your hard drive to see if it set to Cable Select. If it
is you can set the new DVD to Cable Select. Connect the hard drive to the
last connector on the ide cable, connect the new DVD to the middle connector
of the ide cable. This will make the hard drive Master and the DVD Slave.