lucas

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2004

Hi,

I have this configuration:
Celeron 533, Asus Cubx with bios version 1007, 640Mb, Maxtor 30Gb
UDMA133.
Maxtor disk is connected on the Udma controller (CMD controller)
When system starts, hd is correctly found by the Udma controller, but
system doesn't boot and a "Press a key to reboot" message appears on
the screen.
If I connect the Maxtor disk on the Ide controller, system boots
normally.
Could you tell me why?

Another question:
I have also a SCSI disk connected on an Adaptec 1542 SCSI adapter in
the system above.
1542 and the disk are correctly found by system at the starting, but
the system doesn't boot and the same message appears on the screen.
System boots normally if I disconnect SCSI disk.

Have you got any idea to solve my problems??

Thank you

Lucas

Lucas schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I have this configuration:
> Celeron 533, Asus Cubx with bios version 1007, 640Mb, Maxtor 30Gb
> UDMA133.
> Maxtor disk is connected on the Udma controller (CMD controller)
> When system starts, hd is correctly found by the Udma controller, but
> system doesn't boot and a "Press a key to reboot" message appears on
> the screen.
> If I connect the Maxtor disk on the Ide controller, system boots
> normally.
> Could you tell me why?

Different geometry on the CMD controller.

> Another question:
> I have also a SCSI disk connected on an Adaptec 1542 SCSI adapter in
> the system above.
> 1542 and the disk are correctly found by system at the starting, but
> the system doesn't boot and the same message appears on the screen.

Again, might be a mapping mismatch, particularly when the HD was run off
another (non-Adaptec) HA before. Anyway, a 1542 is not a good choice for
a modern mo/bo, ISA busmastering just does not work very well behind a
PCI-ISA bridge. Additionally, have you checked whether the termination
is correct?

> System boots normally if I disconnect SCSI disk.

Apparently the 1542 ends up first in the booting order.

> Have you got any idea to solve my problems??

Number one: Stuff in Promise Ultra100TX2. Number two: Do you really need
the SCSI stuff? The 1542 is only fast SCSI after all, veeery long in the
tooth even compared to the southbridge IDE. An attached disk is not
likely to be very speedy either. If you want to keep it, consider
investing into a PCI SCSI HA (something LSI/Symbios based that does
U-SCSI would do fine). You can usually turn off the booting support.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W