PC reboots when connecting to Internet

I have an MSI K7N2-IL2 Motherboad with nVidia GeForce
FX5900 Ultra w/ Athlon 3000+ processor 512 MB ram running
XP Home SP2

I tried installing SAGEM F@st 800/840 USB modem and
connected to the internet for about 20 minutes. After that
I got a blank screen and window restarted. Everytime I
click on the connect it reboots whenever it gets
to 'veryfying Username and password' . Updating drivers
never helped either.
Sagem Suggested:
Unexpected reboot of the PC while surfing on the
Internet ?

Problem seen on some PCs with Windows 2000 and GeForce2MX
graphic card :Launch the diagnostics application of the
modem using the "SAGEM F@st800-840/DSLMON" command in
the "Start/Programs" menu of Windows. Press 'ALT'+'D'
simultaneously to access to advanced configuration
screens. In the CONFIG tab select "BULK" mode and click on
OK to restart the modem.

This does not even help either

I tried another normal ADSL modem and the same thing
happens -Blank Screeen then reboot.

What should I do?

"Cyphas" <cyphas@supane.com>
wrote in news:817b01c484ab$70769470$a601280a@phx.gbl:
> I have an MSI K7N2-IL2 Motherboad with nVidia GeForce
> FX5900 Ultra w/ Athlon 3000+ processor 512 MB ram running
> XP Home SP2
>
> I tried installing SAGEM F@st 800/840 USB modem and
> connected to the internet for about 20 minutes. After that
> I got a blank screen and window restarted. Everytime I
> click on the connect it reboots whenever it gets
> to 'veryfying Username and password' . Updating drivers
> never helped either.
> Sagem Suggested:
> Unexpected reboot of the PC while surfing on the
> Internet ?
>

> Problem seen on some PCs with Windows 2000 and GeForce2MX
> graphic card :Launch the diagnostics application of the
> modem using the "SAGEM F@st800-840/DSLMON" command in
> the "Start/Programs" menu of Windows. Press 'ALT'+'D'
> simultaneously to access to advanced configuration
> screens. In the CONFIG tab select "BULK" mode and click on
> OK to restart the modem.
>
> This does not even help either
>
> I tried another normal ADSL modem and the same thing
> happens -Blank Screeen then reboot.
>
> What should I do?

Unless I'm just too bleary eyed right now, I missed you saying that you
ever performed a full scan using a recently updated anti-virus program
and also checked for spyware and malware (using scanners such as
Ad-Aware, Spybot, CWShredder, WinPatrol, or reviewed the output from
HijackThis).

I scanned for Viruses also and they were clean. No
spyware visible.

When I tried using another ADSL modem that uses the
Ethernet port the same thing happens.

Analysing the dump file created the bug check came to this
Bug Check 0xD1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value
of 0x000000D1. This indicates that a kernel-mode driver
attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL
that was too high.

Cause
A driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or
that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high.

This bug check is usually caused by drivers that have
used improper addresses.

Resolving the Problem
To begin debugging, use a kernel debugger to get a stack
trace.

However, I am unable to do the stack trace. Also I am
unable to submit the WER generated to Microsoft from the
pc with problem due to problem -no internet. I have the
error files saved on this pc but do not know how to
submit to microsoft.

Any Help appreciated
Regards Cyphas

"Cyphas" <cyphas@supanet.com>
wrote in news:99b401c48639$97ee9630$a601280a@phx.gbl:
> I scanned for Viruses also and they were clean. No
> spyware visible.
>
> When I tried using another ADSL modem that uses the
> Ethernet port the same thing happens.
>
> Analysing the dump file created the bug check came to this
> Bug Check 0xD1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
> The DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value
> of 0x000000D1. This indicates that a kernel-mode driver
> attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL
> that was too high.
>
> Cause
> A driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or
> that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high.
>
> This bug check is usually caused by drivers that have
> used improper addresses.
>
> Resolving the Problem
> To begin debugging, use a kernel debugger to get a stack
> trace.
>
> However, I am unable to do the stack trace. Also I am
> unable to submit the WER generated to Microsoft from the
> pc with problem due to problem -no internet. I have the
> error files saved on this pc but do not know how to
> submit to microsoft.
>

> Any Help appreciated
> Regards Cyphas

Since you are using DSL, and since it still does a dial-up connect
(albeit within a second so you aren't supposed to notice it) hence the
username and password fields in the PPPoE setup, I'm wondering if your
session might be timing out. If you have a router after the DSL modem,
I presume you have it configured to connect on the WAN side (to the DSL
modem) using PPPoE, so check if it has an "auto-reconnect" function; if
so, enable it. It might also be called "Reconnect when disconnected" or
"Keep connection alive". Under the PPPoE setup, there might also be a
"Maximum Idle time" option. This is the amount of time of inactivity
before the device will disconnect your PPPoE session (I think a value of
zero disables this option). If you don't have a router between the
computer and the DSL modem then I'd check the LAN connectoid defined
back in your computer used to communicate with the DSL modem to see if
it used PPPoE and, if so, it auto-reconnect was enabled (if the option
is available).

PPP connections get dropped because:

- The user explicitly hangs up the line.
- The line drops due to idle time-out.
- The administrator hangs up the line.
- An unrecoverable link error occurs.

Looks like you're getting a timeout on a session. I've heard of it
happening to other DSL users and some have noted the fix was enabling
the auto-reconnect option.