How do I upgrade BIOS without a floppy?

dwilson

My system which is based on a P4P800 Deluxe doesn't have a floppy drive
any more. To upgrade BIOS now is it simply a matter of writing the
files to a CD, booting to a command prompt, cd to the CD and update
BIOS as before?

Thanks.

I'm NOT sure that your plan will work. I THINK you have to use a floppy.

--
DaveW

On 26 Mar 2005 14:30:23 -0800, "dwilson@mailinator.com"
<dwilson@mailinator.com> wrote:

>is it simply a matter of writing the files to a CD, booting to a command prompt,
>cd to the CD and update BIOS as before?

Should work. You can also usually throw them in a directory in the
root of your "C" or whatever and shutdown/reboot into a dos prompt if
your system has that, then run directly from hard drive.

Or just update while in Windows (if you use Windows) by downloading a
program called Asus Update...

FeMaster wrote:

> Or just update while in Windows (if you use Windows) by downloading a
> program called Asus Update...

this is the scariest and least safest method of all.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:08:30 GMT, Gordon Scott <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca>
wrote:

>>FeMaster wrote:
>>>
>>> Or just update while in Windows (if you use Windows) by downloading a
>>> program called Asus Update...
>>
>>this is the scariest and least safest method of all.
If the BIOS you are trying to flash using Asus Update is newer than the
one that is already installed, Asus Update will tell you to use a floppy
and update it that way.

That's what happened when I tried using Asus Update to update from BIOS
1006 to 1009 on my A7V400-MX - could've been a fluke, but it seemed
rather odd.

Brad

DaveW wrote:
> I'm NOT sure that your plan will work. I THINK you have to use a floppy.

It'll be fine if the CD uses floppy emulation for booting.

Only problem is being unable to save the old BIOS, if you consider that
a problem. (which it isn't, 'cos the old one is probably widely available)

Ben

Brad Clarke wrote:

> If the BIOS you are trying to flash using Asus Update is newer than the
> one that is already installed, Asus Update will tell you to use a floppy
> and update it that way.

Err, why would you "update" to an older BIOS? (I know there are
reasons, but why bother with a utility that only allows you to go
backwards?)

> That's what happened when I tried using Asus Update to update from BIOS
> 1006 to 1009 on my A7V400-MX - could've been a fluke, but it seemed
> rather odd.

It was probably a fluke.

I wonder, did they update the boot block of the BIOS between 1006 and
1009? That would probably require a safer environment than windows.

The release notes don't mention that that happened.

Ben

Perhaps, but I have done it 3 or 4 times now without a problem...

"Brad Clarke" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> If the BIOS you are trying to flash using Asus Update is newer than the
> one that is already installed, Asus Update will tell you to use a floppy
> and update it that way.
>
> That's what happened when I tried using Asus Update to update from BIOS
> 1006 to 1009 on my A7V400-MX - could've been a fluke, but it seemed
> rather odd.

Must have been a fluke. I've never been told to use a floppy. It worked
perfectly the 3 or 4 times I've done it now...

use a usb flash drive, just copy the startup files from a winxp boot
disk or win98 boot floppy...works for me...oh, you will also need the
bios rom and afudos flasher from asus...