Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GSM issue in San Francisco

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:52:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

An annoyance that has reared its head about two weeks ago:

While on a call with Cingular (or Tmob, they use Cingular's GSM net),
occasionally (30% of the time) I will be conversing normally. Then I
will either hear an atrocious echo on my end (with silence on the other
end) or silence on my end and the atrocious echo on the other caller's
end.

It has nothing to do with lowering the volume on the handsets; I'm
pretty sure this is a network issue.

What gives? Has anyone else gotten this problem?

I'm in the outer Richmond. Thanx.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 8:45:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I also use Cingular and visit the Bay Area frequently. I've never had that
problem.
Can you try another handset?


"Yazzan Gable" <gabley@titans.org> wrote in message
news:gabley-68EEC6.15520029062004@news.supernews.com...
> An annoyance that has reared its head about two weeks ago:
>
> While on a call with Cingular (or Tmob, they use Cingular's GSM net),
> occasionally (30% of the time) I will be conversing normally. Then I
> will either hear an atrocious echo on my end (with silence on the other
> end) or silence on my end and the atrocious echo on the other caller's
> end.
>
> It has nothing to do with lowering the volume on the handsets; I'm
> pretty sure this is a network issue.
>
> What gives? Has anyone else gotten this problem?
>
> I'm in the outer Richmond. Thanx.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 8:45:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I used a T68i, an R520M and my friends who also expreienced this were
using a Samsung on Tmob, a Samsung on Cingular and another with a T616.

These incidents occurred off peak.


In article <KcXEc.5087$dH7.3907@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>,
"Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I also use Cingular and visit the Bay Area frequently. I've never had that
> problem.
> Can you try another handset?
>
>
> "Yazzan Gable" <gabley@titans.org> wrote in message
> news:gabley-68EEC6.15520029062004@news.supernews.com...
> > An annoyance that has reared its head about two weeks ago:
> >
> > While on a call with Cingular (or Tmob, they use Cingular's GSM net),
> > occasionally (30% of the time) I will be conversing normally. Then I
> > will either hear an atrocious echo on my end (with silence on the other
> > end) or silence on my end and the atrocious echo on the other caller's
> > end.
> >
> > It has nothing to do with lowering the volume on the handsets; I'm
> > pretty sure this is a network issue.
> >
> > What gives? Has anyone else gotten this problem?
> >
> > I'm in the outer Richmond. Thanx.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 8:45:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <KcXEc.5087$dH7.3907@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>,
"Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I also use Cingular and visit the Bay Area frequently. I've never had that
> problem.
> Can you try another handset?

Ummm. I live in San Francisco. Different than visiting "the bay area"
which may or may not include the City of San Francisco.

Some parts of "the bay area" have acceptable reception. A lot of San
Fran does not.

You may have great reception where you live and can put up with coverage
hiccups when you visit "the bay area".

But those of us that live here and try to use our phones, it's a
different story. Coverage and reception is sub par.

Reception has been a ongoing problem since PBMS became "Cingular" in San
Francisco.

Can't say much for the "bay area".

Sorry about the rant, but being in "the bay area" is not being in the
City and County where unlike "the bay area", there are not any towers
going up to improve coverage and reception.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 4:16:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <gabley-68EEC6.15520029062004@news.supernews.com> on Tue, 29 Jun 2004
15:52:01 -0700, Yazzan Gable <gabley@titans.org> wrote:

>An annoyance that has reared its head about two weeks ago:
>
>While on a call with Cingular (or Tmob, they use Cingular's GSM net),
>occasionally (30% of the time) I will be conversing normally. Then I
>will either hear an atrocious echo on my end (with silence on the other
>end) or silence on my end and the atrocious echo on the other caller's
>end.
>
>It has nothing to do with lowering the volume on the handsets; I'm
>pretty sure this is a network issue.
>
>What gives? Has anyone else gotten this problem?
>
>I'm in the outer Richmond. Thanx.

Probable hardware problem at the tower. Call 611 to report it.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 4:16:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <MP1Fc.19961$Fo4.266292@typhoon.sonic.net>,
John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <gabley-68EEC6.15520029062004@news.supernews.com> on Tue, 29 Jun 2004
> 15:52:01 -0700, Yazzan Gable <gabley@titans.org> wrote:
>
> >An annoyance that has reared its head about two weeks ago:
> >
> >While on a call with Cingular (or Tmob, they use Cingular's GSM net),
> >occasionally (30% of the time) I will be conversing normally. Then I
> >will either hear an atrocious echo on my end (with silence on the other
> >end) or silence on my end and the atrocious echo on the other caller's
> >end.
> >
> >It has nothing to do with lowering the volume on the handsets; I'm
> >pretty sure this is a network issue.
> >
> >What gives? Has anyone else gotten this problem?
> >
> >I'm in the outer Richmond. Thanx.
>
> Probable hardware problem at the tower. Call 611 to report it.

I did. No improvement. Cingular is annoying.
!