Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe & PCI-X

I am wanting to build a system that uses the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe &
Adaptec SCSI Card 29320A. The adaptec is PCI-X, and the ASUS mobo has
a PCI Express slot in it. Can someone tell me if the two will work
together.

how much performance loss will I sustain putting it in a stock pci
slot? The PCI-X cards can handle 320 Mbytes of data....the regular
cards can handle 160. I am wondering if it is even worth to try to go
SCSI.

damon

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

nope. 'e' is a serial protocl, 'x' is a parallel protocol.

The 'x' card should work degraded in a stock PCI slot.

ddocksta wrote:
> how much performance loss will I sustain putting it in a stock pci
> slot? The PCI-X cards can handle 320 Mbytes of data....the regular
> cards can handle 160. I am wondering if it is even worth to try to go
> SCSI.
>
> damon

It depends, how many drives will be connected to this controller? On the
regular PCI bus, the bandwidth is limited to 133 MB/sec maximum, plus
it'll be sharing with whatever bandwidth is used by other PCI cards, the
Marvell LAN and the Silicon Image SATA controller. With the performance
loss from that, I think you'll be better off with SATA drives on the
NVIDIA controller.

Also, it's possible that other obstructions on the board will block a
PCI-X card from being inserted (because the 64-bit extension part will
be hanging past the edge of the slot).

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

ddocksta wrote:
> how much performance loss will I sustain putting it in a stock pci
> slot? The PCI-X cards can handle 320 Mbytes of data....the regular
> cards can handle 160.

The PCI bus limits you to 133MB/s.

I don't know what else is on the same PCI bus as the slot you'd be
using, but probably all the other slots, at a minimum.

I suspect the Marvell Ethernet and SiI SATA controller are elsewhere.

> I am wondering if it is even worth to try to go SCSI.

Depends... something like a Raptor will perform similarly to SCSI for a
desktop machine, but if you're doing e.g., RAID5 with 4 15KRPM SCSI
discs and running a database with hundreds of simultaneous users, then I
think you might notice the difference.

Ben

TRENDING THREADS