Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe & PCI-X

I am wanting to build a system that uses the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe &
Adaptec SCSI Card 29320A. The adaptec is PCI-X, and the ASUS mobo has
a PCI Express slot in it. Can someone tell me if the two will work
together.
4 answers Last reply
More about asus deluxe

    how much performance loss will I sustain putting it in a stock pci
    slot? The PCI-X cards can handle 320 Mbytes of data....the regular
    cards can handle 160. I am wondering if it is even worth to try to go
    SCSI.

    damon

    nope. 'e' is a serial protocl, 'x' is a parallel protocol.

    The 'x' card should work degraded in a stock PCI slot.

    ddocksta wrote:
    > how much performance loss will I sustain putting it in a stock pci
    > slot? The PCI-X cards can handle 320 Mbytes of data....the regular
    > cards can handle 160. I am wondering if it is even worth to try to go
    > SCSI.
    >
    > damon

    It depends, how many drives will be connected to this controller? On the
    regular PCI bus, the bandwidth is limited to 133 MB/sec maximum, plus
    it'll be sharing with whatever bandwidth is used by other PCI cards, the
    Marvell LAN and the Silicon Image SATA controller. With the performance
    loss from that, I think you'll be better off with SATA drives on the
    NVIDIA controller.

    Also, it's possible that other obstructions on the board will block a
    PCI-X card from being inserted (because the 64-bit extension part will
    be hanging past the edge of the slot).

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

    ddocksta wrote:
    > how much performance loss will I sustain putting it in a stock pci
    > slot? The PCI-X cards can handle 320 Mbytes of data....the regular
    > cards can handle 160.

    The PCI bus limits you to 133MB/s.

    I don't know what else is on the same PCI bus as the slot you'd be
    using, but probably all the other slots, at a minimum.

    I suspect the Marvell Ethernet and SiI SATA controller are elsewhere.

    > I am wondering if it is even worth to try to go SCSI.

    Depends... something like a Raptor will perform similarly to SCSI for a
    desktop machine, but if you're doing e.g., RAID5 with 4 15KRPM SCSI
    discs and running a database with hundreds of simultaneous users, then I
    think you might notice the difference.

    Ben

Asus PCI SLI Adaptec Motherboards