Sleep-UPS system

Hello;
Just purchased a new Sony Vaio computer with XP Media
Center on it. It has been working just fine. No
problems. On my keyboard is a button with a moon shape.
When pressed it puts the computer into sleep mode. In the
control panel under the power options it is set to turn
the monitor off after 15 minutes, and system standby after
20 minutes. System Hiebernate is set to "never".

Enter stage right a new APC battery Back up system with
manufactuer software. The battery has been hooked up
since I purchased the computer a couple of weeks ago with
no problems, but today I installed the software. I can no
longer press the button to put the computer in sleep
mode. I get an error message telling me that I have a
problem with a modem and might need a new driver.

This is the second computer and second battery backup
system that I've had that has had this problem once the
backup software is installed.

Anyone have a fix? Or is it a power problem that won't
allow the computer to go to sleep with a UPS system?
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I'm guessing the UPS uses the modem jack? Have you tried unplugging
connector from the computer to the UPS? My computer is using an APC USB
UPS and it sleeps and hibernates perfectly even when I use the sleep
button on my keyboard. Part of the problem may be that it is a laptop
on a UPS. It will register as having 2 batteries and may get confused
as to how it is supposed to act. May want to take another look in there
as well. Finally, you can try a USB UPS and see if that works better.

----
Nathan McNulty