USB reboot problem after installing SP2

Hi There,

I recently installed Service Pack 2 and whenever I unplug
the USB cable of my infra-red adaptor (Belkin Smartbeam
F5U230)the PC suddenly reboots.

I have no idea what is going. Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

This is the following spec of my machine:

AMD Athlon 900
Gigabyte 7ZX motherboard (VIA KT133 chipset)
2 X 256 MB PC133 CAS 2 SDRAM
120GB Hitachi HD (7,200 RPM, 8 MB cache)
CD-RW Creative Labs 8X4X32
CD-RW Lite-ON 52X24X52
Nexus NX3000 300 WATT PSU
Antec Full Tower Case with front USB sockets
Hercules Game Theater XP sound card
Hercules GeForce 2 MX 32MB Graphics Card

Are you simply disconnecting or ate you stopping the service first before
disconnecting (little green arrow on the task bar)? If you simply
disconnecting the cable without stopping the service first it is quite
likely the machine will reboot. Try stopping the service before you
disconnect the cable.

"P S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi There,
>
> I recently installed Service Pack 2 and whenever I unplug
> the USB cable of my infra-red adaptor (Belkin Smartbeam
> F5U230)the PC suddenly reboots.
>
> I have no idea what is going. Can anyone help please?
>
> Thanks.
>
> This is the following spec of my machine:
>
> AMD Athlon 900
> Gigabyte 7ZX motherboard (VIA KT133 chipset)
> 2 X 256 MB PC133 CAS 2 SDRAM
> 120GB Hitachi HD (7,200 RPM, 8 MB cache)
> CD-RW Creative Labs 8X4X32
> CD-RW Lite-ON 52X24X52
> Nexus NX3000 300 WATT PSU
> Antec Full Tower Case with front USB sockets
> Hercules Game Theater XP sound card
> Hercules GeForce 2 MX 32MB Graphics Card

I always do it the proper way by stopping the service (the
little green thing on the taskbar). However when I do this
the same thing happens. The machine reboots. I am thinking
that this might be a SP2 or driver related problem. Any
more suggestions? Thanks.

Yeah, What USB device are you using, does it need
drivers, and does the manufacturer of the device know of
the problems you are having? (very important to describe
the problem to the manufacturer of your device, "How can
you get better if you never visit a doctor?")

EG: I had a problem with an old 128K IOMEGA USB Stick, it
kept Bluescreening a machine on my floor, The user told
me it never happened to him before, OK, so I went to
IOMEGA's website and lo-and-behold there was an article
describing this exact problem and there was a patch
downloadable to fix the problem! - since that sunny day
all was good again...

My USB devices, 4, do not require manufacturers' drivers and all work fine
with SP2. If your USB device requires a driver to be loaded, that is the
driver is not native to WINXP, I suppose that is the obvious culprit and you
need to look to Belkin for a solution.

>I always do it the proper way by stopping the service (the
> little green thing on the taskbar). However when I do this
> the same thing happens. The machine reboots. I am thinking
> that this might be a SP2 or driver related problem. Any
> more suggestions? Thanks.

Hi sorry to get back to you guys after so long.

I emailed Belkin on the same day this problem happened.
I've received an automated response to acknowledge that
they have received the email. Belkin still hasn't replied.
Will let you know if they have a solution.