P2B-DS USB problem in WinXP

I have an old Asus P2B-DS, working fine. I installed winxp sp2 on it.
Everything works except the USB driver in the Device Manager isn't
working. I looked on the asus site and there doesn't seem to be a
special USB driver in the p2b-ds driver list. Am I the only one with
this problem?

The device manager lists the driver as:

Intel(r) 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

That's kind of odd because the USB is onboard on the p2b-ds.

BigJim

checked it with mine and that is the same listing I have, except I am not
running
sp2 on it.

have you tried removing it from the device manager and rebooting and see if
windows redetects it and installs the proper driver.

dterrors@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have an old Asus P2B-DS, working fine. I installed winxp sp2 on it.
> Everything works except the USB driver in the Device Manager isn't
> working. I looked on the asus site and there doesn't seem to be a
> special USB driver in the p2b-ds driver list. Am I the only one with
> this problem?
>
> The device manager lists the driver as:
>
> Intel(r) 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
>
> That's kind of odd because the USB is onboard on the p2b-ds.

Not odd, as expected - 82371AB is one of the 440BX chipset devices. You
should also have a 'USB Root Hub' device listed.

P2B-DS onboard USB ports work fine here under XP SP2 using default
drivers. What does Device Manager say about device status when you
double-click it?

As BigJim suggests, uninstalling the USB devices and rebooting is a
logical first step. Make note of any errors XP reports when re-detecting
the USB devices.

HTH

P2B

On 27 Mar 2005 21:34:19 -0800, in <alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>,
dterrors@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have an old Asus P2B-DS, working fine. I installed winxp sp2 on it.
> Everything works except the USB driver in the Device Manager isn't
> working.
[snip]

Apparently, that is a common problem on earlier-revision P2B-series boards.
Per <http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html>:

| Q: My Asus motherboard doesn't work, or works with only one device
|
| A: Some early Asus P2B-DS and P2B-D motherboards have a design flaw
| that means that the chipset doesn't get sufficient voltage. I suggest
| returning the motherboard. Alternatively, check the Asus website at
| http://www.asus.com.tw/supportnews/english/mainboard/p2bx/17695.html
| for a hardware solution.

> I looked on the asus site and there doesn't seem to be a
> special USB driver in the p2b-ds driver list. Am I the only one with
> this problem?

[snip]

From what I gather, it's not a driver problem; it's (at least primarily) a
hardware problem. There is supposedly a home-brew fix described at
<http://www.asus.com.tw/supportnews/english/mainboard/p2bx/17695.html>; but I
cannot raise that page ATM.

> The device manager lists the driver as:
>
> Intel(r) 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
>
> That's kind of odd because the USB is onboard on the p2b-ds.

What makes you think that's "odd"? The P2B-series boards are based on the
Intel 440BX chipset.

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------

-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law. Violators are subject to prosecution.

Jay T. Blocksom wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2005 21:34:19 -0800, in <alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>,
> dterrors@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I have an old Asus P2B-DS, working fine. I installed winxp sp2 on it.
> > Everything works except the USB driver in the Device Manager isn't
> > working.
> [snip]
>
> Apparently, that is a common problem on earlier-revision P2B-series boards.
> Per <http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html>:
>
> | Q: My Asus motherboard doesn't work, or works with only one device
> |
> | A: Some early Asus P2B-DS and P2B-D motherboards have a design flaw
> | that means that the chipset doesn't get sufficient voltage. I suggest
> | returning the motherboard. Alternatively, check the Asus website at
> | http://www.asus.com.tw/supportnews/english/mainboard/p2bx/17695.html
> | for a hardware solution.

The FAQ is misleading. The USB hardware issue on *very* early P2B-D/DS
boards (revision 1.03 and earlier only) is that they provide
insufficient current to bus-powered USB devices for reliable operation.
This should not affect the chipset, or Window's ability to detect the
chipset and install drivers - although it might make sense to disconnect
USB devices during OS installation or re-detection attempts.

The fix (as implemented by Asus on revision 1.04 and later boards) is to
replace R112 with a 0 ohm resistor. An alternative is to use an
independently powered hub as the only directly-connected USB device.

P2B