Halo1 question from a newbie

Last response: in Video Games
Share
November 18, 2004 1:01:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

Hello,
With all the hoopla about Halo2 selling I decided to try Halo Combat
Evolved. I don't have any game system, instead I use a PC. I have
played Doom 1 & 2, Quake 1 & 2, and Fallout 1 & 2. So I bought
a PC version of Halo Combat Evolved and the play and graphics have
blown me away. Now the question;
When I get involved in combat the game slows down, some times to a
crawl. I over correct my aim point and spray shots everywhere, except
at the target I want to hit. I have a 1+ GB PCU, over 300MB RAM
available, and a NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 video card with 128MB RAM. Is
there anything I can check or is this a problem with the PC version?
I saw one of the threads about a pc version of Halo2 and the comment
about MS and Bungie getting competent programmers to convert it to PC.

Thanks, Seagull

More about : halo1 question newbie

November 18, 2004 7:52:48 PM

"Seagull" <seagull_k1@NOT-yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> With all the hoopla about Halo2 selling I decided to try Halo Combat
> Evolved. I don't have any game system, instead I use a PC. I have
> played Doom 1 & 2, Quake 1 & 2, and Fallout 1 & 2. So I bought
> a PC version of Halo Combat Evolved and the play and graphics have
> blown me away. Now the question;
> When I get involved in combat the game slows down, some times to a
> crawl. I over correct my aim point and spray shots everywhere, except
> at the target I want to hit. I have a 1+ GB PCU, over 300MB RAM
> available, and a NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 video card with 128MB RAM. Is
> there anything I can check or is this a problem with the PC version?
> I saw one of the threads about a pc version of Halo2 and the comment
> about MS and Bungie getting competent programmers to convert it to PC.
>
> Thanks, Seagull

I think it's CPU. On my laptop (2Ghz P4) the game runs fine, but when I am
on battery and the cpu is clocked back, it behaves at lot like describe.

Turn down all details, textures, sound variety, add the -use11 switch, move
the resolution down to 640x480, all the usual stuff, and see if that helps.

-Russ.
November 18, 2004 11:36:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:52:48 -0500, "Somebody"
<somebody@nospam.russdoucet.com> wrote:

>I think it's CPU. On my laptop (2Ghz P4) the game runs fine, but when I am
>on battery and the cpu is clocked back, it behaves at lot like describe.
>
>Turn down all details, textures, sound variety, add the -use11 switch, move
>the resolution down to 640x480, all the usual stuff, and see if that helps.
>
>-Russ.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Seagull