Halo1 question from a newbie

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

Hello,
With all the hoopla about Halo2 selling I decided to try Halo Combat
Evolved. I don't have any game system, instead I use a PC. I have
played Doom 1 & 2, Quake 1 & 2, and Fallout 1 & 2. So I bought
a PC version of Halo Combat Evolved and the play and graphics have
blown me away. Now the question;
When I get involved in combat the game slows down, some times to a
crawl. I over correct my aim point and spray shots everywhere, except
at the target I want to hit. I have a 1+ GB PCU, over 300MB RAM
available, and a NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 video card with 128MB RAM. Is
there anything I can check or is this a problem with the PC version?
I saw one of the threads about a pc version of Halo2 and the comment
about MS and Bungie getting competent programmers to convert it to PC.

Thanks, Seagull
2 answers Last reply
More about halo1 question newbie
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

    "Seagull" <seagull_k1@NOT-yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > With all the hoopla about Halo2 selling I decided to try Halo Combat
    > Evolved. I don't have any game system, instead I use a PC. I have
    > played Doom 1 & 2, Quake 1 & 2, and Fallout 1 & 2. So I bought
    > a PC version of Halo Combat Evolved and the play and graphics have
    > blown me away. Now the question;
    > When I get involved in combat the game slows down, some times to a
    > crawl. I over correct my aim point and spray shots everywhere, except
    > at the target I want to hit. I have a 1+ GB PCU, over 300MB RAM
    > available, and a NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 video card with 128MB RAM. Is
    > there anything I can check or is this a problem with the PC version?
    > I saw one of the threads about a pc version of Halo2 and the comment
    > about MS and Bungie getting competent programmers to convert it to PC.
    >
    > Thanks, Seagull

    I think it's CPU. On my laptop (2Ghz P4) the game runs fine, but when I am
    on battery and the cpu is clocked back, it behaves at lot like describe.

    Turn down all details, textures, sound variety, add the -use11 switch, move
    the resolution down to 640x480, all the usual stuff, and see if that helps.

    -Russ.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:52:48 -0500, "Somebody"
    <somebody@nospam.russdoucet.com> wrote:

    >I think it's CPU. On my laptop (2Ghz P4) the game runs fine, but when I am
    >on battery and the cpu is clocked back, it behaves at lot like describe.
    >
    >Turn down all details, textures, sound variety, add the -use11 switch, move
    >the resolution down to 640x480, all the usual stuff, and see if that helps.
    >
    >-Russ.

    I'll give it a try.

    Thanks

    Seagull