ASUS P5AD2-E :Total SATA Drives

jeff

With the ASUS MB P5AD2-e which seems to be their top model , I'm curious,
with 4 sata on one controller and 4 sata on the other, can the system
function with all 8 sata drives connected in a massive tower as storage
drives only, NOT RAID?

I know my asus p4c800e does that with a sata contoller driver, will this
model do the same?

Thnx,

jeff

Paul

Splendid

In article <TvGdnROl952sz9XfRVn-gw@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <Jeff@somewhere.com> wrote:

> With the ASUS MB P5AD2-e which seems to be their top model , I'm curious,
> with 4 sata on one controller and 4 sata on the other, can the system
> function with all 8 sata drives connected in a massive tower as storage
> drives only, NOT RAID?
>
> I know my asus p4c800e does that with a sata contoller driver, will this
> model do the same?
>
> Thnx,
>
> jeff

On the download page, there is a driver whose description reads:

"Silicon Image Serial ATA IDE Driver V1.0.0.7 and Raid Driver
V1.0.0.7 for Windows XP/2K/2003"

and that implies, if in the BIOS you set the 3114 to [SATA Mode]
instead of [RAID mode], it will do what you want.

You can also get the SIL3114 on a PCI card. Read the description
of capabilities here for example:

http://www.syba.com/product/43/02/05/index.html

Paul