Missing BIOS Settings on P4GE-MX

The manual for my P4GE-MX indicates that there are
"CPU Clock Ratio" and a "Hyper-Threading Technology" setting options
in the BIOS, but these are not present on my system's BIOS setup program.

Is this just an error in the manual, do I need another BIOS, or do
these setting only appear based on the CPU installed?

I have the latest version of the manual and the BIOS according to the
info for the P4GE-MX on Asus's support site.

Any Help Appreciated

Toney

Paul

Splendid

In article <xxhis3a5qhp.fsf@sam.on-net.net>, Toney
<lose_vtjones_es_spann@onet.net> wrote:

> The manual for my P4GE-MX indicates that there are
> "CPU Clock Ratio" and a "Hyper-Threading Technology" setting options
> in the BIOS, but these are not present on my system's BIOS setup program.
>
> Is this just an error in the manual, do I need another BIOS, or do
> these setting only appear based on the CPU installed?
>
> I have the latest version of the manual and the BIOS according to the
> info for the P4GE-MX on Asus's support site.
>
> Any Help Appreciated
>
> Toney

CPU clock ratio is for "multiplier unlocked" processors
like Intel Engineering Sample (ES) processors. Those are
not sold at retail, and the processors you buy have a fixed
ratio between the FSB and the core clock rate.

Hyperthreading is a function of processor family and
speed. The 3.06GHz/FSB533/512KB cache Northwood, was the
first processor with Hyperthreading. A lot of the Prescott
family has Hyperthreading. While the info isn't complete or
accurate, you can look on processorfinder.intel.com , for
info on your processor. If your processor doesn't support
Hyperthreading, the BIOS will likely remove that as an
option.

The other aspect to the problem, is the OS you are using.
Support for the virtual "dual processors" you get from
Hyperthreading, varies from OS to OS.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5616
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/7/577a5684-8a83-43ae-9272-ff260a9c20e2/hyper-thread_windows.exe

Paul

They only appear if the CPU has hyper-threading

Paul wrote:
> In article <xxhis3a5qhp.fsf@sam.on-net.net>, Toney
> <lose_vtjones_es_spann@onet.net> wrote:
>

>>The manual for my P4GE-MX indicates that there are
>>"CPU Clock Ratio" and a "Hyper-Threading Technology" setting options
>>in the BIOS, but these are not present on my system's BIOS setup program.
>>
>>Is this just an error in the manual, do I need another BIOS, or do
>>these setting only appear based on the CPU installed?
>>
>>I have the latest version of the manual and the BIOS according to the
>>info for the P4GE-MX on Asus's support site.
>>
>>Any Help Appreciated
>>
>>Toney
>

> CPU clock ratio is for "multiplier unlocked" processors
> like Intel Engineering Sample (ES) processors. Those are
> not sold at retail, and the processors you buy have a fixed
> ratio between the FSB and the core clock rate.
>
> Hyperthreading is a function of processor family and
> speed. The 3.06GHz/FSB533/512KB cache Northwood, was the
> first processor with Hyperthreading. A lot of the Prescott
> family has Hyperthreading. While the info isn't complete or
> accurate, you can look on processorfinder.intel.com , for
> info on your processor. If your processor doesn't support
> Hyperthreading, the BIOS will likely remove that as an
> option.
>
> The other aspect to the problem, is the OS you are using.
> Support for the virtual "dual processors" you get from
> Hyperthreading, varies from OS to OS.
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5616
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/7/577a5684-8a83-43ae-9272-ff260a9c20e2/hyper-thread_windows.exe
>
> Paul

Thanks very much. As usual, your articles are all light and no heat.

I wonder if "CPU clock ratio" is included in the BIOS of this low-end
board for the benefit of people who know how to get around the
multiplier locking--by insulating particular pins or whatever it is that
they do.

My processor is an sl726, and, indeed, there is no mention of
Hyperthreading in Intel's spec finder page for this CPU.

I've never overclocked anything before, but I thought it might be fun
with this Mobile Northwood 3.06GHz 533 FSB.

This CPU has a very high thermal spec. It idles at roughly room
temperature, even with an FSB setting of 158. It's clock ratio on the
P4GE-MX is reported by Linux as 12, and it operates at about 1.6 GHz at
the default 133 FSB.

Toney

Paul

Splendid

In article <j2I2e.610$Fh4.149@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, Toney
<tjone12@indy.rr.com> wrote:

> Thanks very much. As usual, your articles are all light and no heat.
>
> I wonder if "CPU clock ratio" is included in the BIOS of this low-end
> board for the benefit of people who know how to get around the
> multiplier locking--by insulating particular pins or whatever it is that
> they do.
>
> My processor is an sl726, and, indeed, there is no mention of
> Hyperthreading in Intel's spec finder page for this CPU.
>
> I've never overclocked anything before, but I thought it might be fun
> with this Mobile Northwood 3.06GHz 533 FSB.
>
> This CPU has a very high thermal spec. It idles at roughly room
> temperature, even with an FSB setting of 158. It's clock ratio on the
> P4GE-MX is reported by Linux as 12, and it operates at about 1.6 GHz at
> the default 133 FSB.
>

> Toney

Oh, sweet. That CPU is a nice purchase. Now you need a good
motherboard to go with that processor. Some people, for example,
run that processor at 300MHz clock (FSB1200), for a Fcore of
3.6GHz, and run the memory at DDR600. The P4C800-E is a good
candidate for some fun like that.

You should visit abxzone.com and read about the adventures with
the Mobile over there.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59931&highlight=sl726

Your current motherboard doesn't have enough FSB for that
sweet processor. Time for an upgrade :)

Yes, the clock multiplier is 12. No matter which speed grade
you buy. That is the main advantage of that processor, as
it allows very high FSB operation. And, reports are, that
it runs cool.

I wanted one of those processors, but ended up buying a B
stepping version by mistake. Mine won't go anywhere near
3.6GHz. (Canadian suppliers are too conservative to carry
processor like that in stock.)

The Mobile has Speedstep, which means there are two
multiplier values in the chip. x12 is the power saving
multiplier setting. 3066/133=23 is your full speed multiplier
setting. According to this info in the Mobile Pentium datasheet,
the GHI# signal controls the multiplier, and a mobile chipset
has a signal to drive that pin.

http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/datashts/25302804.pdf

"Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology

The mobile Intel Pentium 4 processor, when used in conjunction
with the requisite Intel SpeedStep technology applet or its
equivalent, supports Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology.
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology allows the processor to
switch between two core frequencies automatically based on CPU
demand, without having to reset the processor or change the FSB
frequency. The processor has two bus ratios and voltages programmed
into it instead of one and the GHI# signal controls which bus
ratio and voltage is used. After reset, the processor will start
in the lower of its two core frequencies, the Battery Optimized
mode. An operating mode transition to the high core frequency can
be made by setting GHI# low, putting the processor into the Deep
Sleep state, regulating to the new VID output, and returning to
the Normal state. This puts the processor into the high core
frequency, or Maximum Performance mode. Going through these steps
with GHI# set high, transitions the processor back to the low
core frequency operating mode. The processor will drive the
VID[4:0] pins with the VID of the current operating mode and
the system logic is required to regulate the core voltage within
specification for the driven VID."

Page 280 of this doc, shows the GHI# signal being driven by CPUPERF,
and that is how a mobile chipset controls whether the multiplier
is x12 or x23.

http://developer.intel.com/design/mobile/desguide/253026.htm

Now, the quoted text above is a bit weird. That implies just
jamming the GHI# signal to ground, won't necessary trigger the
x23 multiplier for you right away. It takes a transition into a
sleep state, to pick up the status of the pin. The GHI# signal is
AGTL, and is supposed to be driven by an open drain driver coming
from the Southbridge (ICH4-M). The CPUPERF signal drives GHI. It
looks to me like grounding the wire meets one of the pre-requisites,
but I don't know what level of sleep is required to latch in the
new state of the signal.

You can experiment with CPUMSR. Make sure your FSB is set to
the nominal value of 133Mhz, in case you actually manage to
trigger the x23 multiplier. I think the odds are very low that
this will work, because I think the tool depends on a mobile
chipset. The tool also requires an ACPI install of the OS, which
you likely have.

http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier_FAQ/AXP_Multiplier_FAQ.htm
http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/main.htm (CPIMSR download)

In any case, it is known you'll have fun with a P4C800-E with that
chip, without needing to do anything to it. If your motherboard
could handle a higher FSB, it would be fun on there too.

Wish I had your 3.06 P4-M :)
Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <nospam-0104051942400001@192.168.1.178>, nospam@needed.com
(Paul) wrote:

> In article <j2I2e.610$Fh4.149@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, Toney
> <tjone12@indy.rr.com> wrote:
>

> > Thanks very much. As usual, your articles are all light and no heat.
> >
> > I wonder if "CPU clock ratio" is included in the BIOS of this low-end
> > board for the benefit of people who know how to get around the
> > multiplier locking--by insulating particular pins or whatever it is that
> > they do.
> >
> > My processor is an sl726, and, indeed, there is no mention of
> > Hyperthreading in Intel's spec finder page for this CPU.
> >
> > I've never overclocked anything before, but I thought it might be fun
> > with this Mobile Northwood 3.06GHz 533 FSB.
> >
> > This CPU has a very high thermal spec. It idles at roughly room
> > temperature, even with an FSB setting of 158. It's clock ratio on the
> > P4GE-MX is reported by Linux as 12, and it operates at about 1.6 GHz at
> > the default 133 FSB.
> >

> > Toney

I probably didn't make it very clear, but the BIOS multiplier setting
will not change your processor. Your processor is locked to x12
or x23 multiplier, as controlled by the state of the GHI# signal on
the processor. The BIOS cannot override that fact. Not even
on a P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. You need to do further research
into Speedstep, the GHI# signal, and CPUMSR, to see if attaining the
x23 multiplier is possible.

The people on Abxzone are very happy with the x12 multiplier, because
it allows them to run their memory at extremely high speeds and
bandwidths. But with your current motherboard, the x23 multiplier
would be more desirable. The trick will be, finding someone who
knows precisely and for certain, whether grounding GHI# is enough to
make it work.

Paul

Yes. SL726 sounds like a fun processor for the system-builder's version
of drag racing.

I acquired an Abit VT7 Via PT880 P4 800FSB board as a chassis. I had
read that Abit's BIOS features make overclocking pretty simple, and this
was the cheapest Abit socket 478 I ran across on ZipZoomFly. I like to
go cheap with things I plan to set on fire.

I also got some Ballistix PC4000 RAM. My overclocking-newbie instincts
told me it might come in handy. I'm not sure if this memory can get up
to 600MHz, but I'll see. At least it has some copper on it.

As you referenced, abxzone (ya gotta love bigtoe) seems to be all about
FSB as opposed to multiplier. Sounds like the multiplier is rather hard
to get at unless one is an electrical engineer with time on his hands.
But 12 x 300FSB, well, that would be nice to have.

I bought my chip by mistake too. I was looking for the P4 533FSB with
Hyperthreading, a la SL6S5. Got this instead.

But it certainly has tweaked my interest in OC.

Cheers,

Toney