Why would I want a firewall to ALWAYS trust a new network?

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Please read the post copied below for background,

Quote "you have to set the rules for zonealarm to always
trust a new network."

Why would I want ZA to ALWAYS trust a new network? Where
does this new network come from anyway?
Phil

..

Phil wrote:

> Please read the post copied below for background,
>
> Quote "you have to set the rules for zonealarm to always
> trust a new network."
>
> Why would I want ZA to ALWAYS trust a new network? Where
> does this new network come from anyway?
> Phil

The quote and reply might be over-stated. Setting ZoneAlarm's
"zones" has always been optional. Use the "trusted" setting
to allow access from and access to known (and, therefore,
trusted) sites, and not necessarily "new" network. The network
can be any network with a static IP address (and subnet mask).
All this does to grant transparency between known, good links
to the otherwise firewall-protected computer.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Thanks for clearing that up for me Ghostrider. Now, in
the past year, I have never seen that message. Why do you
think a new network was detected twice this week and never
before? Also why would the IP address disappear from the
Zone Alarm "Zones" page after I selected "Do Not Trust"
and named it "Possible Spy"

thanks Again,
Phil

Phil wrote:
> Thanks for clearing that up for me Ghostrider. Now, in
> the past year, I have never seen that message. Why do you
> think a new network was detected twice this week and never
> before? Also why would the IP address disappear from the
> Zone Alarm "Zones" page after I selected "Do Not Trust"
> and named it "Possible Spy"
>
> thanks Again,
> Phil

<<snipped>>

Sorry but have not gotten into this particular situation
with ZoneAlarm. Perhaps I am pro-active in setting up my
trusted zones. Or I ignore attempts by outside systems or
nets to gain access on a permanent basis. Note that there
are certain applications that trigger this type of activity,
even legitimate ones, and sometimes under the disguise of
having to honor a warranty of some type or the other, e.g.,
automatic update checking, and so on.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I guess I can look to see if some new software is causing
the problem.
Thanks Again.
Phil

You can also try a different FireWall if you like. I highly recommend
Sygate Personal Firewall (Free). You can try that out here:
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

----
Nathan McNulty