CD-R disk cannot be read in XP

August 18, 2004 4:57:22 PM

I recorded some jpg files onto a blank CD-R disk in my Toshiba laptop
(running W2000). When I inserted the disk into the LG DVD-ROM drive in my
XP-Pro desktop, it shows up as blank. The CD-R disk is half full and can be
read just fine in the laptop.

I found this article on the Microsoft knowledgebase:

KB Article: 867717 - "Recordable CD or DVD that contains data appears blank
in Windows XP".

Does anyone know a workaround for this? I don't know how long it will take
for Microsoft to fix this problem.

Patrick

More about : disk read

August 18, 2004 5:33:54 PM

hmm... try installing Nero, or Roxio, or aspi drivers
from Adaptec, to your machine, and then try again...
unless your cd rom drive is super ancient, you should be
able to read the disk. I've never had a problem, but, I
always have programs installed that have updated aspi
drivers.

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 7:47:29 AM

Has the disc been closed off ? Some drives do not read the
disc until it has been

August 19, 2004 2:22:54 PM

This is interesting because I am having a problem not only
with CDs I have burned but also with reading any software
installion CD. This is only a recent problem and I am
having it on both CD drives on my machine, one of which
only reads CDs and the TDK burner drive. I am using Nero
to burn CDs. Curiously enough I can copy a music CD
without a problem but data CDs can't be read by either
drive. Data CDs I have burned in the past can be read by
other PCs. It almost sounds like one of those XP updates
clobbered something

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 4:19:55 AM

I do not want to change settings on my laptop as it is working fine
otherwise.

In the Microsoft knowledgebase article 867717 they have acknowledged this
issue but as of yet have not dealt with it. This is a gap between W2000 &
XP. I was hoping someone on this newsgroup would know how to fix it or some
kind of workaround.

!