CD-R disk cannot be read in XP

I recorded some jpg files onto a blank CD-R disk in my Toshiba laptop
(running W2000). When I inserted the disk into the LG DVD-ROM drive in my
XP-Pro desktop, it shows up as blank. The CD-R disk is half full and can be
read just fine in the laptop.

I found this article on the Microsoft knowledgebase:

KB Article: 867717 - "Recordable CD or DVD that contains data appears blank
in Windows XP".

Does anyone know a workaround for this? I don't know how long it will take
for Microsoft to fix this problem.

Patrick
4 answers Last reply
More about disk read

    hmm... try installing Nero, or Roxio, or aspi drivers
    from Adaptec, to your machine, and then try again...
    unless your cd rom drive is super ancient, you should be
    able to read the disk. I've never had a problem, but, I
    always have programs installed that have updated aspi
    drivers.

    Has the disc been closed off ? Some drives do not read the
    disc until it has been

    This is interesting because I am having a problem not only
    with CDs I have burned but also with reading any software
    installion CD. This is only a recent problem and I am
    having it on both CD drives on my machine, one of which
    only reads CDs and the TDK burner drive. I am using Nero
    to burn CDs. Curiously enough I can copy a music CD
    without a problem but data CDs can't be read by either
    drive. Data CDs I have burned in the past can be read by
    other PCs. It almost sounds like one of those XP updates
    clobbered something

    I do not want to change settings on my laptop as it is working fine
    otherwise.

    In the Microsoft knowledgebase article 867717 they have acknowledged this
    issue but as of yet have not dealt with it. This is a gap between W2000 &
    XP. I was hoping someone on this newsgroup would know how to fix it or some
    kind of workaround.

    "Stealthy" wrote in message
    > hmm... try installing Nero, or Roxio, or aspi drivers
    > from Adaptec, to your machine, and then try again...
    > unless your cd rom drive is super ancient, you should be
    > able to read the disk. I've never had a problem, but, I
    > always have programs installed that have updated aspi
    > drivers.

Windows XP Microsoft CD-Rom