Wireless IntelliMouse 1.0a

Hello,

My wireless IntelliMouse (version 1.0a) goes through
batteries like mad. I have never gone more than ten days
without having to replace the batteries. I am at my
computer quite frequently, and the mouse does go
into 'sleep' mode when I am not using my computer, but I
think this is a little bit ridiculous.

I've tried using premium batteries and have not noticed
much difference. I have all of the latest drivers, to my
knowledge, and cannot seem to find much that addresses
this problem.

Any suggestions? I worked out that with what I'm paying
for batteries, I could have long purchased a new mouse
already.

Get a Logitech mouse. They don't eat batteries like the Microsoft ones do,
and many feature an off switch to eliminate the trickle drain when the mouse
is not being used.

Plus, Logitech mice have (generally) greater dpi and are better for gaming.
Check out the MX510 or the MX700.

Bobby

"Amity Shroads" <amity@smushy.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My wireless IntelliMouse (version 1.0a) goes through
> batteries like mad. I have never gone more than ten days
> without having to replace the batteries. I am at my
> computer quite frequently, and the mouse does go
> into 'sleep' mode when I am not using my computer, but I
> think this is a little bit ridiculous.
>
> I've tried using premium batteries and have not noticed
> much difference. I have all of the latest drivers, to my
> knowledge, and cannot seem to find much that addresses
> this problem.
>
> Any suggestions? I worked out that with what I'm paying
> for batteries, I could have long purchased a new mouse
> already.

I had similar battery life time for the first generation of mice.

The second generation of mice that MS had, with similar usage patterns to
the first, lasted significantly longer (4.5 months).

Obviously the numbers will vary based on your personal usage.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Amity Shroads" <amity@smushy.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My wireless IntelliMouse (version 1.0a) goes through
> batteries like mad. I have never gone more than ten days
> without having to replace the batteries. I am at my
> computer quite frequently, and the mouse does go
> into 'sleep' mode when I am not using my computer, but I
> think this is a little bit ridiculous.
>
> I've tried using premium batteries and have not noticed
> much difference. I have all of the latest drivers, to my
> knowledge, and cannot seem to find much that addresses
> this problem.
>
> Any suggestions? I worked out that with what I'm paying
> for batteries, I could have long purchased a new mouse
> already.

Si

I'm afraid that this is an unavoidable problem with this version. The latest
version of this mouse is supposed to have 3 times more battery life but I
never understood why Microsoft didn't make it rechargeable! Like you I am
sick of having to change batteries every few days. I am using rechargeable
batteries at the moment so I don't have to shell out for new ones every
other day, but they probably don't last as long as normal batteries. I've
ordered the new version which will be with me tomorrow. At the moment I'm
using a MS basic corded optical mouse because my Intellimouse broke. OK I
threw it against the wall......big diff!! But it has got me thinking that
maybe I should have ordered a corded Intellimouse Explorer instead!! Plus
you can get them in groovy colour schemes as well.

Cheers.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> Get a Logitech mouse. They don't eat batteries like the Microsoft
> ones do, and many feature an off switch to eliminate the trickle
> drain when the mouse is not being used.
>
> Plus, Logitech mice have (generally) greater dpi and are better for
> gaming. Check out the MX510 or the MX700.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Amity Shroads" <amity@smushy.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> My wireless IntelliMouse (version 1.0a) goes through
>> batteries like mad. I have never gone more than ten days
>> without having to replace the batteries. I am at my
>> computer quite frequently, and the mouse does go
>> into 'sleep' mode when I am not using my computer, but I
>> think this is a little bit ridiculous.
>>
>> I've tried using premium batteries and have not noticed
>> much difference. I have all of the latest drivers, to my
>> knowledge, and cannot seem to find much that addresses
>> this problem.
>>
>> Any suggestions? I worked out that with what I'm paying
>> for batteries, I could have long purchased a new mouse
>> already.

As an example, my Logitech Cordless Notebook mouse gets new batts about
every 8 weeks.