Archived from groups: alt.games.halo,rec.sport.pro-wrestling (More info?)

Great Scott!!! HALO the Movie?!?!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with an interesting rumor, or at least a slice of
what could be, pertaining to the possible big screen adaptation of the
super-selling monster of a videogame HALO. Personally, I think if all the
below comes to pass we could have an amazing movie on our hands. The first
truly great video game adaptation. Anyway, here's the rumor:
Hey guys. Love the site. Been a long time reader. Always wanted to be able
to contribute something.

I work at Warner-Bros. We recently had a meeting with Ronald Shusett and
Daniel Alter over doing the video-game adaptation for this upcoming movie
they're producing called 2176. It's an epic space opera that's essentialy a
futurisitc retelling of the revolutionary war. WBIE used to be monolith,
which developed the ALIEN Vs. PREDATOR games. Shusett co-created the ALIEN
franchise and co-wrote the story for AVP.

Anyway, it turns out one of our senior execs here has been trying to ankle
and move into film producing and approached Bungie back at E3 about the HALO
movie rights. The word from the company was that unless you got the writer
and director of the original ALIEN, everyone can go fish. So with the
writer/producer of ALIEN sitting in (someone')s office, I guess he who shall
remain nameless thought it was his time to strike.

Now the tricky part is, apparently Ridley Scott has seen the materials
before. And subsequently passed on doing it. But, with HALO 2 sales having
been astronomical, Shusett and Alter's camp has been in-touch with Scott
Free about it. What's more, upon reviewing the game, Shusett commented that
it reminded him of STARSHIP TROOPERS, which apparently Ridley and him had
considered collaborating on 20 plus years ago after ALIEN came out. Funny,
considering Shusett's TOTAL RECALL director Paul Verhoeven went on to
bastardize Heinlein's classic.

Don't know if Ridley's budged. Or how serious Bungie is about licensing the
movie rights. But a HALO movie from the creative team behind ALIEN, and who
also toyed with STARSHIP TROOPERS, would seem to be a great fit. What I
wonder is if these parties can't come to an accord, why wouldn't Bungie be
open to somebody like James Cameron?

You can call me the WB Informant!

OK, back again. My mind is tingling just trying to imagine what a Ridley
Scott HALO movie would be like. Think of the atmosphere of, say, the darker
parts of LEGEND for the Flood, the claustrophobia of ALIEN during the rescue
of Keyes from the Covenant ship and the crazy military action of BLACK HAWK
DOWN during the round-up of the crash survivors at the beginning of the
first game.
Keep in mind that this is a long way from becoming a reality. In the above
email our source says that even Shusett himself is now just warming up to
the idea. I think the best thing about this bit of information is Bungie's
reluctance to give the film rights to anybody but a master. The last thing I
want to see is Uwe Boll's HALO, which would undoubtedly take place modern
day, without any mention of either the Flood or the Covenant and starring
Ben Affleck as Master Chief and Tara Reid as Cortana.
As for our spy's speculation on James Cameron... no doubt he'd make a hell
of a HALO movie, but didn't he kinda already make that movie with ALIENS?
You can't deny that HALO borrows very, very heavily from that film... Hell,
that's probably a big reason why I like the game so much.
The biggest question for me now is what story would they use? I'd prefer
they use the storyline from the first game, where you're just kind of
crazily dropped into the action as your ship is being attacked than go for
some new introduction to Master Chief and Halo. The second game's storyline
just wouldn't fit for a first movie, but I would love to see a
GLADIATOR-esque battle on the city streets of Earth from the beginning of
the second game.
Anyway, the above is a damn interesting rumor and at least it puts my mind
to rest. Bungie knows what a valuable property they have and realize that
it'd be better to never have a HALO movie at all than to give the rights
over to someone who hasn't proven their worth in a big, big way. What do yo
folks think?

seagull

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:55:25 -0500, "Col. Jack O'Neil"
<StargateCommand1> wrote:

>Great Scott!!! HALO the Movie?!?!
>Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with an interesting rumor, or at least a slice of
>what could be, pertaining to the possible big screen adaptation of the
>super-selling monster of a videogame HALO. Personally, I think if all the
>below comes to pass we could have an amazing movie on our hands. The first
>truly great video game adaptation. Anyway, here's the rumor:
>Hey guys. Love the site. Been a long time reader. Always wanted to be able
>to contribute something.
>
>I work at Warner-Bros. We recently had a meeting with Ronald Shusett and
>Daniel Alter over doing the video-game adaptation for this upcoming movie
>they're producing called 2176. It's an epic space opera that's essentialy a
>futurisitc retelling of the revolutionary war. WBIE used to be monolith,
>which developed the ALIEN Vs. PREDATOR games. Shusett co-created the ALIEN
>franchise and co-wrote the story for AVP.
>
>Anyway, it turns out one of our senior execs here has been trying to ankle
>and move into film producing and approached Bungie back at E3 about the HALO
>movie rights. The word from the company was that unless you got the writer
>and director of the original ALIEN, everyone can go fish. So with the
>writer/producer of ALIEN sitting in (someone')s office, I guess he who shall
>remain nameless thought it was his time to strike.
>
>Now the tricky part is, apparently Ridley Scott has seen the materials
>before. And subsequently passed on doing it. But, with HALO 2 sales having
>been astronomical, Shusett and Alter's camp has been in-touch with Scott
>Free about it. What's more, upon reviewing the game, Shusett commented that
>it reminded him of STARSHIP TROOPERS, which apparently Ridley and him had
>considered collaborating on 20 plus years ago after ALIEN came out. Funny,
>considering Shusett's TOTAL RECALL director Paul Verhoeven went on to
>bastardize Heinlein's classic.

Got that right. The character's names and the destruction of Buenos
Aries were the only connection that movie had to the book.
That movie ( I can't call it by it's title) was closer to a book
called Armor -- by John Steakley , a mildly interesting book, however
when I got done the question I had was, The bugs were not mentioned
to have star ships and the fighting was taking place on one planet,
then why go there? End the war by simply not playing on that planet.

>Don't know if Ridley's budged. Or how serious Bungie is about licensing the
>movie rights. But a HALO movie from the creative team behind ALIEN, and who
>also toyed with STARSHIP TROOPERS, would seem to be a great fit. What I
>wonder is if these parties can't come to an accord, why wouldn't Bungie be
>open to somebody like James Cameron?
>
>You can call me the WB Informant!
>
>OK, back again. My mind is tingling just trying to imagine what a Ridley
>Scott HALO movie would be like. Think of the atmosphere of, say, the darker
>parts of LEGEND for the Flood, the claustrophobia of ALIEN during the rescue
>of Keyes from the Covenant ship and the crazy military action of BLACK HAWK
>DOWN during the round-up of the crash survivors at the beginning of the
>first game.
>Keep in mind that this is a long way from becoming a reality. In the above
>email our source says that even Shusett himself is now just warming up to
>the idea. I think the best thing about this bit of information is Bungie's
>reluctance to give the film rights to anybody but a master. The last thing I
>want to see is Uwe Boll's HALO, which would undoubtedly take place modern
>day, without any mention of either the Flood or the Covenant and starring
>Ben Affleck as Master Chief and Tara Reid as Cortana.
>As for our spy's speculation on James Cameron... no doubt he'd make a hell
>of a HALO movie, but didn't he kinda already make that movie with ALIENS?
>You can't deny that HALO borrows very, very heavily from that film... Hell,
>that's probably a big reason why I like the game so much.
>The biggest question for me now is what story would they use? I'd prefer
>they use the storyline from the first game, where you're just kind of
>crazily dropped into the action as your ship is being attacked than go for
>some new introduction to Master Chief and Halo. The second game's storyline
>just wouldn't fit for a first movie, but I would love to see a
>GLADIATOR-esque battle on the city streets of Earth from the beginning of
>the second game.
>Anyway, the above is a damn interesting rumor and at least it puts my mind
>to rest. Bungie knows what a valuable property they have and realize that
>it'd be better to never have a HALO movie at all than to give the rights
>over to someone who hasn't proven their worth in a big, big way. What do yo
>folks think?

I hope the people in charge of Bungie have nailed the rights down so
that some "corporate money expert" can't get control and make the best
deal that they can, ie most profitable to them selves.

Seagull

"Col. Jack O'Neil" <StargateCommand1> wrote in message
> Great Scott!!! HALO the Movie?!?!

<snipped>

> OK, back again. My mind is tingling just trying to imagine what a Ridley
> Scott HALO movie would be like. Think of the atmosphere of, say, the
> darker
> parts of LEGEND for the Flood, the claustrophobia of ALIEN during the
> rescue
> of Keyes from the Covenant ship and the crazy military action of BLACK
> HAWK
> DOWN during the round-up of the crash survivors at the beginning of the
> first game.

I don't know if I'd like to see a rehash of either game as a movie, though a
"prequel"
or just finish of the series by telling what happens when Master Chief
returns to earth
on the Covenant ship at the end of HALO 2. I would love to see a HALO movie
but
only with the right talent behind it, and while Ridley is an outstanding
director, I love
all his movies, I don't feel he'd be right for this. Cameron would be a
better fit IMO.
Cameron took an existing premise (ALIEN) and created a sequel by amping up
the action
and exploring the characters, Ridley left them undeveloped in ALIEN, which
worked for
the movie, but if you don't come to know or care about the characters first,
who cares if
they die? Cameron would definitely be my pick as director/co-writer.

> Keep in mind that this is a long way from becoming a reality. In the above
> email our source says that even Shusett himself is now just warming up to
> the idea. I think the best thing about this bit of information is Bungie's
> reluctance to give the film rights to anybody but a master. The last thing
> want to see is Uwe Boll's HALO, which would undoubtedly take place modern
> day, without any mention of either the Flood or the Covenant and starring
> Ben Affleck as Master Chief and Tara Reid as Cortana.

As long as Ben doesn't take off the suit/helmet and doesn't talk, I'm ok
with that.
Seriously, anyone can be Master Chief under the helmet, I don't care, but
you gotta
keep Steve Downes' voice, and Jen Taylor as Cortana, they're too much a part
of Halo
to ignore.

> As for our spy's speculation on James Cameron... no doubt he'd make a hell
> of a HALO movie, but didn't he kinda already make that movie with ALIENS?
> You can't deny that HALO borrows very, very heavily from that film...
> Hell,
> that's probably a big reason why I like the game so much.
> The biggest question for me now is what story would they use? I'd prefer
> they use the storyline from the first game, where you're just kind of
> crazily dropped into the action as your ship is being attacked than go for
> some new introduction to Master Chief and Halo. The second game's
> storyline
> just wouldn't fit for a first movie, but I would love to see a
> GLADIATOR-esque battle on the city streets of Earth from the beginning of
> the second game.
> Anyway, the above is a damn interesting rumor and at least it puts my mind
> to rest. Bungie knows what a valuable property they have and realize that
> it'd be better to never have a HALO movie at all than to give the rights
> over to someone who hasn't proven their worth in a big, big way. What do
> yo
> folks think?

I hope Bungie sticks to its guns (pardon the pun) on who they want making a
motion picture of their property. I agree, better it not get made if it's
just going
to be bastardized for the sake of making it....make it right, or not at all.