Having trouble cloning a bootable laptop hard disk

a b D Laptop
August 18, 2004 7:02:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

What is the secret to cloning a laptop hard drive for Windows XP?

My HP Pavilion notebook's drive is starting to die, but still mostly
runs. I would like to clone it exactly onto an identical drive and
replace it.

I have tried DriveImage 7.0.3, which almost works - it appears to make
an exact copy, but the new drive will not boot. It just sits there
like a lump at boot time. I have tried all the various DriveImage
parameters, and none of them get me a bootable disk. I've looked
through the MS knowledge base, to no avail.

Is there some magic thing I need to do outside of DriveImage to make
my new hard drive bootable?

Some better software I should use instead of DriveImage? Ghost,
perhaps?

I need to copy via a USB or FireWire connection; I cannot have both
ATA drives physically inserted in my laptop at the same time.

Thanks for any advice,
- Bob
August 18, 2004 10:37:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Isn't there a setting in drive image to make the partition on the new drive
'active'?
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

"Bob Weissman" <rlw@rlw.best.vwh.net> wrote in message
> What is the secret to cloning a laptop hard drive for Windows XP?
>
> My HP Pavilion notebook's drive is starting to die, but still mostly
> runs. I would like to clone it exactly onto an identical drive and
> replace it.
>
> I have tried DriveImage 7.0.3, which almost works - it appears to make
> an exact copy, but the new drive will not boot. It just sits there
> like a lump at boot time. I have tried all the various DriveImage
> parameters, and none of them get me a bootable disk. I've looked
> through the MS knowledge base, to no avail.
>
> Is there some magic thing I need to do outside of DriveImage to make
> my new hard drive bootable?
>
> Some better software I should use instead of DriveImage? Ghost,
> perhaps?
>
> I need to copy via a USB or FireWire connection; I cannot have both
> ATA drives physically inserted in my laptop at the same time.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> - Bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2004 11:17:12 PM

> "Bob Weissman" <rlw@rlw.best.vwh.net> wrote in message
> > What is the secret to cloning a laptop hard drive for Windows XP?
> >
> > My HP Pavilion notebook's drive is starting to die, but still mostly
> > runs. I would like to clone it exactly onto an identical drive and
> > replace it.
> >
> > I have tried DriveImage 7.0.3, which almost works - it appears to make
> > an exact copy, but the new drive will not boot. It just sits there
> > like a lump at boot time. I have tried all the various DriveImage
> > parameters, and none of them get me a bootable disk. I've looked
> > through the MS knowledge base, to no avail.
> >
> > Is there some magic thing I need to do outside of DriveImage to make
> > my new hard drive bootable?
> >
> > Some better software I should use instead of DriveImage? Ghost,
> > perhaps?
> >
> > I need to copy via a USB or FireWire connection; I cannot have both
> > ATA drives physically inserted in my laptop at the same time.
> >
> > Thanks for any advice,
> > - Bob

Bob:
I've had virtually no experience with DriveImage so I can't help you with
that program.
I do use Symantec's Norton Ghost (2003 version) for all my cloning needs.
You can clone your present laptop HD to a USB external HD and assuming the
external HD can be removed from its USB enclosure, and after uninstalling
your present laptop HD, you can install the newly-cloned drive in the
laptop. Unfortunately the cloned HD while residing in the USB external HD
enclosure is NOT bootable. At least it hasn't been in my experience. That
may not be a negative in your situation since your ultimate objective is to
replace your present laptop HD with the cloned one. There are a number of
relatively inexpensive USB HD enclosures for 2 1/2" drives on the market and
you'll have the added advantage of subsequently using the enclosure (with
another HD of course) together with your disk cloning software for backup
purposes.
One additional thought -- I'm a bit uneasy with your statement that "My HP
Pavilion notebook's drive is starting to die, but still mostly runs." That
sounds ominous because if you clone garbage, garbage is what you'll get. I'm
sure you understand that. I mention this because time & time again I run
into users who think that the cloning operation will mysteriously correct
any problems their source disk has. And we both know that is not true, don't
we? So before you undertake this or any other cloning operation, first
backup your critical files to floppies, CDs, etc.

Art
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2004 4:22:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You might also want to invest in a laptop to desktop ide adapter so you can
take the drive out of the laptop and put it in a desktop for cloning

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=906&sku=17...

Wayne

"Bob Weissman" <rlw@rlw.best.vwh.net> wrote in message
> What is the secret to cloning a laptop hard drive for Windows XP?
>
> My HP Pavilion notebook's drive is starting to die, but still mostly
> runs. I would like to clone it exactly onto an identical drive and
> replace it.
>
> I have tried DriveImage 7.0.3, which almost works - it appears to make
> an exact copy, but the new drive will not boot. It just sits there
> like a lump at boot time. I have tried all the various DriveImage
> parameters, and none of them get me a bootable disk. I've looked
> through the MS knowledge base, to no avail.
>
> Is there some magic thing I need to do outside of DriveImage to make
> my new hard drive bootable?
>
> Some better software I should use instead of DriveImage? Ghost,
> perhaps?
>
> I need to copy via a USB or FireWire connection; I cannot have both
> ATA drives physically inserted in my laptop at the same time.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> - Bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2004 9:57:57 AM

In article <iYednYqotsmjRb7cRVn-iA@comcast.com>,
Alceryes <replytopost@thankyou.com> wrote:
>Isn't there a setting in drive image to make the partition on the new drive
>'active'?

Yes, and it shows as being active. It still won't boot.

- Bob

>"Bob Weissman" <rlw@rlw.best.vwh.net> wrote in message
>> What is the secret to cloning a laptop hard drive for Windows XP?
>>
>> My HP Pavilion notebook's drive is starting to die, but still mostly
>> runs. I would like to clone it exactly onto an identical drive and
>> replace it.
>>
>> I have tried DriveImage 7.0.3, which almost works - it appears to make
>> an exact copy, but the new drive will not boot. It just sits there
>> like a lump at boot time. I have tried all the various DriveImage
>> parameters, and none of them get me a bootable disk. I've looked
>> through the MS knowledge base, to no avail.
>>
>> Is there some magic thing I need to do outside of DriveImage to make
>> my new hard drive bootable?
>>
>> Some better software I should use instead of DriveImage? Ghost,
>> perhaps?
>>
>> I need to copy via a USB or FireWire connection; I cannot have both
>> ATA drives physically inserted in my laptop at the same time.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice,
>> - Bob

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2004 11:43:38 AM

rlw@rlw.best.vwh.net (Bob Weissman) wrote in message news:<2315f820.0408181402.31ba2138@posting.google.com>...
> What is the secret to cloning a laptop hard drive for Windows XP?
>
> My HP Pavilion notebook's drive is starting to die, but still mostly
> runs. I would like to clone it exactly onto an identical drive and
> replace it.
>
> I have tried DriveImage 7.0.3, which almost works - it appears to make
> an exact copy, but the new drive will not boot. It just sits there
> like a lump at boot time. I have tried all the various DriveImage
> parameters, and none of them get me a bootable disk. I've looked
> through the MS knowledge base, to no avail.
>
> Is there some magic thing I need to do outside of DriveImage to make
> my new hard drive bootable?
>
> Some better software I should use instead of DriveImage? Ghost,
> perhaps?

Hi Bob, If a failure to boot is the only problem, then boot to DOS and
type "Sys C:" from The A: drive. The necessary boot files will be
added to the C: drive and it should then boot OK. Jim

> I need to copy via a USB or FireWire connection; I cannot have both
> ATA drives physically inserted in my laptop at the same time.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> - Bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2004 1:00:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Bob Weissman" <rlw@rlw.best.vwh.net> wrote in message
> What is the secret to cloning a laptop hard drive for Windows XP?
>
> My HP Pavilion notebook's drive is starting to die, but still mostly
> runs. I would like to clone it exactly onto an identical drive and
> replace it.
>
> I have tried DriveImage 7.0.3, which almost works - it appears to make
> an exact copy, but the new drive will not boot. It just sits there
> like a lump at boot time. I have tried all the various DriveImage
> parameters, and none of them get me a bootable disk. I've looked
> through the MS knowledge base, to no avail.
>
> Is there some magic thing I need to do outside of DriveImage to make
> my new hard drive bootable?
>
> Some better software I should use instead of DriveImage? Ghost,
> perhaps?
>
> I need to copy via a USB or FireWire connection; I cannot have both
> ATA drives physically inserted in my laptop at the same time.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> - Bob

As others said, the new drive is probably not active. Do this:

- Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
- Run fdisk.exe
- Set the disk to "active"

This fdisk command will work regardless of the partition type you have.
August 19, 2004 8:44:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Bob Weissman" <rlw@rlw.best.vwh.net> wrote in message
> What is the secret to cloning a laptop hard drive for Windows XP?
>
> My HP Pavilion notebook's drive is starting to die, but still mostly
> runs. I would like to clone it exactly onto an identical drive and
> replace it.
>
> I have tried DriveImage 7.0.3, which almost works - it appears to
> make
> an exact copy, but the new drive will not boot. It just sits there
> like a lump at boot time. I have tried all the various DriveImage
> parameters, and none of them get me a bootable disk. I've looked
> through the MS knowledge base, to no avail.
>
> Is there some magic thing I need to do outside of DriveImage to make
> my new hard drive bootable?
>
> Some better software I should use instead of DriveImage? Ghost,
> perhaps?
>
> I need to copy via a USB or FireWire connection; I cannot have both
> ATA drives physically inserted in my laptop at the same time.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> - Bob

With Drive image there is a drive copy. This has to be configured
before the burn process. There are radio buttons to choose make
drive bootable, copy mbr etc, etc. The old drive must be removed
the new drive must be jumpered correctly and installed.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2004 3:34:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In article <#MHQUCkhEHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
Frank <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote:

>"Bob Weissman" <rlw@rlw.best.vwh.net> wrote in message
>> What is the secret to cloning a laptop hard drive for Windows XP?
>>
>> My HP Pavilion notebook's drive is starting to die, but still mostly
>> runs. I would like to clone it exactly onto an identical drive and
>> replace it.
>>
>> I have tried DriveImage 7.0.3, which almost works - it appears to make
>> an exact copy, but the new drive will not boot. It just sits there
>> like a lump at boot time. I have tried all the various DriveImage
>> parameters, and none of them get me a bootable disk. I've looked
>> through the MS knowledge base, to no avail.
>>
>> Is there some magic thing I need to do outside of DriveImage to make
>> my new hard drive bootable?
>>
>> Some better software I should use instead of DriveImage? Ghost,
>> perhaps?
>>
>> I need to copy via a USB or FireWire connection; I cannot have both
>> ATA drives physically inserted in my laptop at the same time.
>
>With Drive image there is a drive copy. This has to be configured
>before the burn process. There are radio buttons to choose make
>drive bootable, copy mbr etc, etc. The old drive must be removed
>the new drive must be jumpered correctly and installed.

Yes, I tried all of that. DriveImage simply failed to do the job. So did
another program called DriveClone (because it can't handle USB or
FireWire drives).

Finally, I tried Ghost, which worked perfectly. I'm back in business.
Thanks for the reply.

- Bob
!