Reformat a drive with corrupted files?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

chkdsk reports corrupted files and does not complete.

XP will not start.

The recovery console cannot recover.

How can I delete the contents of this drive in anticipation of a return
authorization from the manufacturer?

Excuse the crossposting, I'm not sure which NG is correct fro this problem.

Thank you in advance....!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Just because the files are corrupt doesnt mean the drive is,there's
no scence in returning a hd on those findings,simply reinstall xp.Boot
to xp cd,select install xp,new copy,delete the partition,create one,then
xp reformats and installs.If chkdsk had indicated bad sectors,then a return
would be warranted,but files,no way youre wasting youre time.

"Sid9" wrote:

> chkdsk reports corrupted files and does not complete.
>
> XP will not start.
>
> The recovery console cannot recover.
>
> How can I delete the contents of this drive in anticipation of a return
> authorization from the manufacturer?
>
> Excuse the crossposting, I'm not sure which NG is correct fro this problem.
>
> Thank you in advance....!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Search the Net about disk shredders. Apparently disk manufacturer site can
provide the utility filling the disk with zeroes or low-level format utility
(awful).

P.S. Did the manufacturer suggest to reinstall Windows before you get RMA?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks for the help....I'll get back on the outcome

Jetro wrote:
> Search the Net about disk shredders. Apparently disk manufacturer
> site can provide the utility filling the disk with zeroes or
> low-level format utility (awful).
>
> P.S. Did the manufacturer suggest to reinstall Windows before you get
> RMA?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks for the response....I'll post the outcome

Andrew E. wrote:
> Just because the files are corrupt doesnt mean the drive is,there's
> no scence in returning a hd on those findings,simply reinstall
> xp.Boot to xp cd,select install xp,new copy,delete the
> partition,create one,then xp reformats and installs.If chkdsk had
> indicated bad sectors,then a return would be warranted,but files,no
> way youre wasting youre time.
>
> "Sid9" wrote:
>
>> chkdsk reports corrupted files and does not complete.
>>
>> XP will not start.
>>
>> The recovery console cannot recover.
>>
>> How can I delete the contents of this drive in anticipation of a
>> return authorization from the manufacturer?
>>
>> Excuse the crossposting, I'm not sure which NG is correct fro this
>> problem.
>>
>> Thank you in advance....!
>>

>> --

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I agree. Use the hardware diagnostic that came with the drive or get it
from the maker's website and run it on the drive. That will tell you if
it is still good or not. An RMA at this point is not necessary. Also,
what you are looking for is a DoD Standard Format. Something like this:
http://www.ontrack.com/dataeraser/

----
Nathan McNulty