front side bus

on a p4c800e with a p4 3.2 fsb800 hyper threading what should the speed be
set at .or is it set automatically thanks.

Paul

Splendid

In article <nMH2e.7447$Ln.350600@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "Andre
LaFramboise" <razz@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> on a p4c800e with a p4 3.2 fsb800 hyper threading what should the speed be
> set at .or is it set automatically thanks.

At the hardware level, there are two pins on the processor that
indicate what speed value that the processor normally uses. The
two pins indicate that the P4 needs a 100, 133, or 200MHz clock.
Since the front side data bus transfers data four times per
clock cycle, those values correspond to FSB400, FSB533, FSB800.

As for the BIOS design, when you first enter the BIOS, many of
the settings will be [Auto]. For some of these settings, as you
change them to [Standard] or [Manual], other settings are
revealed.

For example, if you set "AI Overclock Tuner" to Manual, then
you'll see a "CPU External Frequency" setting. The starting
value should reflect the coding of the two pins on the bottom
of the processor, and it should say 200MHz for a FSB800
processor. To overclock, you could manually adjust that field
and set it to a value other than 200MHz.

What you should be able to do, is install your processor, RAM,
and other components, start up the system and use your install
CD to install a basic OS. Then, get a copy of CPUZ from here

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

CPUZ will show you the basic properties of your system, and
allow you to determine what the BIOS is really doing. For
example, on my board, I've noticed that the BIOS I am using,
uses different DRAM timings than the ones I set manually.
And I find that mighty annoying, when doing testing. It is
good to be aware of whether the BIOS performs those functions
correctly or not.

HTH,
Paul