DSOUND.dll is not a valid windows image

When booting the system, trying to access a CD using
Windows media 9.0 or accessing a DVD using InterActual
Player 2.0, I get the following error: DSOUND.dll is not
a valid windows image. Also when booting, I get a System
tray error that states d3d8thk.dll in not a valid windows
image. I have installed all updates. I am running
Windows XP Professional. According to the Device
Manager, the DVD Device, Display Adapters and Sound
Adapters are all installed and working properly.

I would like to thank you in advance for any assistance
you may provide.
1 answer Last reply
More about dsound valid windows image

    Are you trying to boot up from the CD? and get all these messages, I think
    not. Your first comment is misleading: I believe that your system is running
    and you are attempting to
    a] load a file from the CD and / or
    b] Play a DVD movie

    On this basis:
    In either case you get "DSOUND.dll is not a valid windows image"

    For some reason this file is invalid for your version of XP. This is the
    Microsoft DirectSound DLL, a file that is part of DirectX and is used by
    games and multimedia applications for sound effects and music.

    As for the bootup message:
    The DirectDraw application programming interface (API) is the component of
    DirectX that enables you to directly manipulate display memory, the hardware
    blitter, hardware overlay support, and flipping surface support. DirectDraw
    requires D3D8THK.DLL and this file appears corrupt from the message you give.

    It is possible that the sofwtare you installed for your DVD device has
    overwritten the previously updated components in Windows with older versions
    , which is why you have these errors.

    I recommend that you run a Windows Update and download the current version
    of Direct X 9.0.

    "Frank" wrote:

    > When booting the system, trying to access a CD using
    > Windows media 9.0 or accessing a DVD using InterActual
    > Player 2.0, I get the following error: DSOUND.dll is not
    > a valid windows image. Also when booting, I get a System
    > tray error that states d3d8thk.dll in not a valid windows
    > image. I have installed all updates. I am running
    > Windows XP Professional. According to the Device
    > Manager, the DVD Device, Display Adapters and Sound
    > Adapters are all installed and working properly.
    >
    > I would like to thank you in advance for any assistance
    > you may provide.

DLL Windows XP