Graphics card for P5GD1 PRO

Hi,

I just ordered an ASUS P5GD1 PRO mobo, thinking that, because most
mainbaords have onbaord audio, LAN & graphics, that this model would
have one also. Well, I've now realised by looking a bit more at the
specs that there is an expansion slot:

1 x PCI Express x16 slot for discrete graphics card

but no onboard graphics card. Can I use another type of graphics card
on this motherboard, just as an interim measure ?

There is a 64Mb RAM graphics card on this MSI mobo, but I think it
will be the wrong type ?

Here are some specs on the graphics card I'm using now:

<< NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro >>
< Video Adapter >
Model: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model
64 Pro
Total Memory: 32MB (32MB Video)
Texture Memory: 51MB
Hardware Revision: 021
VESA PnP/DDC Support: Yes

Can I use this graphics card on the new motherboard ?

Peter

Peter Richards
peter_j_richards@nospamplease.com
(but use hotmail to email)
4 answers Last reply
More about graphics card p5gd1

    In article <tj4n41hv3mk93p7c0gcr2gald5l9qi3l3i@4ax.com>, Peter
    <jehoshua@my-deja.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just ordered an ASUS P5GD1 PRO mobo, thinking that, because most
    > mainbaords have onbaord audio, LAN & graphics, that this model would
    > have one also. Well, I've now realised by looking a bit more at the
    > specs that there is an expansion slot:
    >
    > 1 x PCI Express x16 slot for discrete graphics card
    >
    > but no onboard graphics card. Can I use another type of graphics card
    > on this motherboard, just as an interim measure ?
    >
    > There is a 64Mb RAM graphics card on this MSI mobo, but I think it
    > will be the wrong type ?
    >
    > Here are some specs on the graphics card I'm using now:
    >
    > << NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro >>
    > < Video Adapter >
    > Model: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model
    > 64 Pro
    > Total Memory: 32MB (32MB Video)
    > Texture Memory: 51MB
    > Hardware Revision: 021
    > VESA PnP/DDC Support: Yes
    >
    > Can I use this graphics card on the new motherboard ?
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > Peter Richards
    > peter_j_richards@nospamplease.com
    > (but use hotmail to email)

    That card looks like it is AGP:

    NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
    http://www.bolha.com/index.php/ukaz/bid/izd/728824

    Your available options are PCI or PCI Express.

    Here is the cheapest PCI video card I can find ($27.50). These
    are typically used on servers, for occasional 2D use.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-153&depa=0

    And this is the cheapest PCI Express that is not a "Turbocache" ($62).
    You could likely live with this for a desktop display, whereas the
    Rage XL would drag you down:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-153&depa=0

    Paul

    Paul wrote...
    > Your available options are PCI or PCI Express.
    «snip»

    Breaking into this thread with interest (and questions of course). I
    was going to start a thread on this very subject, Graphics card for
    P5GD1. I'm not sure what "PRO" is as the Asus site doesn't list it.

    Paul, you and others have been very helpful with advice. As I've
    post before, I'm seriously considering a purchase of an Asus P5GD1
    mainboard.

    I am undecided on which video card, ATI or nVidia, to use as the
    mainboard requires PCIe. I won't be gaming, just general web surfing
    and DVD clips. My TurboCad software requires OpenGL. I am considering
    an Abit RX600PRO-256. Newegg has it priced at $132.00; ZipZoomFly at
    $125.00

    What has piqued my interest in this card is a review
    fromTom'sHardware Guide. Additionally, I prefer the card to utilize
    it's own power. The days of the WinModem broke me of that.

    What I'm asking,is there a better choice for a reasonably priced
    PCIe video card?

    Thanks in advance,
    David
    Greenville, NC

    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/graphics/techspec.php?categories=2&model=194

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041129/tft_connection-15.html

    In article <rpOdnRPp35-WUtHfRVn-jQ@portbridge.com>, "Ðavïd"
    <one.DM3@esn.net> wrote:

    > Paul wrote...
    > > Your available options are PCI or PCI Express.
    > «snip»
    >
    > Breaking into this thread with interest (and questions of course). I
    > was going to start a thread on this very subject, Graphics card for
    > P5GD1. I'm not sure what "PRO" is as the Asus site doesn't list it.
    >
    > Paul, you and others have been very helpful with advice. As I've
    > post before, I'm seriously considering a purchase of an Asus P5GD1
    > mainboard.
    >
    > I am undecided on which video card, ATI or nVidia, to use as the
    > mainboard requires PCIe. I won't be gaming, just general web surfing
    > and DVD clips. My TurboCad software requires OpenGL. I am considering
    > an Abit RX600PRO-256. Newegg has it priced at $132.00; ZipZoomFly at
    > $125.00
    >
    > What has piqued my interest in this card is a review
    > fromTom'sHardware Guide. Additionally, I prefer the card to utilize
    > it's own power. The days of the WinModem broke me of that.
    >
    > What I'm asking,is there a better choice for a reasonably priced
    > PCIe video card?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > David
    > Greenville, NC
    >
    > http://www.abit-usa.com/products/graphics/techspec.php?categories=2&model=194
    >
    > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041129/tft_connection-15.html

    Well, you need two things. A representative price list and
    some video card benchmarks. Tomshardware has jumbo video card
    reviews, which should allow you to rate the video cards. And
    Newegg has a shop-by-catagory feature, which will give you some
    prices to work with. (Since I don't have a PCI-Express motherboard,
    I haven't had much interest in the new cards.)

    Select PCI-Express here and sort by price:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=0

    In terms of raw data, this site lists clocks, memory bandwidth,
    and shader version info for video cards. It is interesting to
    see how much has changed between generations of cards - quite a
    lot of overlap:

    http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/zestawienie_GPU_2/skala_wydajnosci.html

    HTH,
    Paul

    Hi Paul,

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:05:58 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >That card looks like it is AGP:

    Yes, I checked a bit more, and actually found a manual for it, it is
    dfinitely an AGP, therefore no good for the new mobo.

    >NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
    >http://www.bolha.com/index.php/ukaz/bid/izd/728824
    >
    >Your available options are PCI or PCI Express.

    Looked through all my old boxes, and found what looks to be a 4MB
    card, a bit old, but might do for a short term solution. Here are the
    details on that:

    Trident 3DImage 9750

    and managed to find a driver, the chip had Trident-97 on it, and the
    driver is marked 2000 on the website, but when I opened the .EXE, the
    latest files were only 1998, so at least I probably have th latest
    driver.

    No doubt the video quality will be very poor, the one I have been
    using is 32MB, and has been quite good, however for a few months it
    won't hurt.

    >Here is the cheapest PCI video card I can find ($27.50). These
    >are typically used on servers, for occasional 2D use.
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-153&depa=0

    Okay thanks, I might consider doing that if the quality is too poor
    for general useage. The local computer man quoted AUD $145 for a 128Mb
    PCI Express graphics card, don't know what manufacturuer or model
    though.

    >And this is the cheapest PCI Express that is not a "Turbocache" ($62).
    >You could likely live with this for a desktop display, whereas the
    >Rage XL would drag you down:
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-153&depa=0

    Many thanks for those links, and all your help,

    Peter

    Peter Richards
    peter_j_richards@nospamplease.com
    (but use hotmail to email)

Asus Graphics Cards Graphics Motherboards