Bios won't detect hard-drive upon reboot

LiQuiD

Hey, im a bit confused here, i just formatted about 2
days ago and it seems that every time i restart the
computer from windows or otherwise it wont detect the
hard drive (quantum fireball as 60) and it says insert
boot cd then disk boot failure please insert boot disc.
If i go into the bios and auto detect it finds it but it
still wont boot when i exit (finds the hd but stalls). If
i turn off the computer and on again everything works
fine. Im pretty sure nothing on the hard drive is screwed
because it was fine before the format, unless its some
programs doing something like tweak xp i have no idea...
motherboard is an epox 8rda+ with bios version 3716.
Could it be something like that it is shutting down
before it finishes with the cache? It almost seems like
it forgets the bios setting after a boot.. i have no
idea, though it seems like something easier than im
looking for... btw running windows xp corp with sp2

Thanks for any help

If your BIOS is losing all your settings and resetting
the time everytime you turn off the computer, or unplug
it, you may want to considder replacing the 3.3v CMOS
Battery.

If you can boot into Windows, check to see if there are
any error messages pointing to a Disk Error or failure in
Event Viewer and report your findings.

bar

You've 'hit the nail on the head' in your own posting:

"It almost seems like it forgets the bios setting after a boot.. i have no
idea, though it seems like something easier than im looking for... btw
running windows xp corp with sp2 "

You do have an idea and it is right, as suggested by Zagan: either
a] BIOS battery has failed or
b] You are not 'saving' the revision that you make to BIOS after auto
detection of the IDE devices.

Now, only you can work out which of these is correct.

"Zagan" wrote:

> If your BIOS is losing all your settings and resetting
> the time everytime you turn off the computer, or unplug
> it, you may want to considder replacing the 3.3v CMOS
> Battery.
>
> If you can boot into Windows, check to see if there are
> any error messages pointing to a Disk Error or failure in
> Event Viewer and report your findings.

I just went through this problems on a clients computer. It would work fine
for 3-4 days and then wouldn't boot. I drove me mad for about 2 weeks. The
end result was that I changed the power supply and the computer has been
fine for about 4 weeks now. Crossing my fingers here, as the last thing to
change would be the M/B. (-:

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Liquid" <dazzaman15@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey, im a bit confused here, i just formatted about 2
> days ago and it seems that every time i restart the
> computer from windows or otherwise it wont detect the
> hard drive (quantum fireball as 60) and it says insert
> boot cd then disk boot failure please insert boot disc.
> If i go into the bios and auto detect it finds it but it
> still wont boot when i exit (finds the hd but stalls). If
> i turn off the computer and on again everything works
> fine. Im pretty sure nothing on the hard drive is screwed
> because it was fine before the format, unless its some
> programs doing something like tweak xp i have no idea...
> motherboard is an epox 8rda+ with bios version 3716.
> Could it be something like that it is shutting down
> before it finishes with the cache? It almost seems like
> it forgets the bios setting after a boot.. i have no
> idea, though it seems like something easier than im
> looking for... btw running windows xp corp with sp2
>
> Thanks for any help

yeah but i just got a new power supply not long ago lol i
dunno i might just reformat

hey, i can help u with the hard drive but not the boot
cos i have the same boot problem....when u start ur
computer push f2 (or whatever gets you into setup ) go
down to primary/ master ide hdd then select auto and then
select detect hdd ide this should detect your hdd ide if
not u might want to tke the cover off ur computer and
check you have no lose connections between any other part
of the computer and the hdd ide.

if u have a disk for ur mother board reinstall it

no matter i fixed it, all i did was reinstall the
motherboard drivers like the other dude said, BUT i didnt
choose to install some IDE driver part of it obviously
relating to the hard drive, works fine now on reboot and
all thanks guys!