Hard drive detection order problem !

Hi,

have Win XP Pro Sp1a installed on a ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe,
PIV 2.8GHz, DDR 2GB.

- IDE Master 1 = DVD-R, Slave 1 = CD-Burner
- IDE Master 2 = DVD-Burner

- onboard non-RAID S-SATA 1 goes to WD Raptor for system
files and programs. Only bootable HD.

- RAID System with PCI Promise TX2-S150 adapter ( 4
outpouts -> 4 MAxtor DiamondMax 120 GB each) in RAID 0+1 )

- Boot Sequence : DVD-R master 1 / floppy ( during test
period only) then HD WD on S-ATA 1 ( first partition on
it, NTFS, active ).

Problem :

If I look in drivemanager or Partition Magic, my WD drive
is listed as drive 2, while drive 1 is the RAID system.

You'll state that is dosen't change anything, and indeed
everything works OK, BUT :

- if I am in DOS : which will be drive 1 ( for the "save
the MBR" or "save partition" utilities ?
- I have tried installing Norton Ghost's virtual partition
and get locked in it -> had to rebuild normal, standard
MBR. I read that Ghost isn't friend with RAID drives, and
mines are said to be drive 1 : perhaps it installed on teh
RAID ?
- how does Windows assign this order of drives ? This is a
reinstall, and earlier WD was drive 1, RAID drive 2 and
Ghost installed OK.
- any way to change ( without reinstalling everyhing :
just coming out of a 10 evenings install trip ! No a joy !

Thanks !
Pivert

bar

Read your MOBO manual and adjust IDE / SATA drive priorities.

Default settings usually assign SATA as priority device. You need to work
out how to do this, it is a BIOS thing.