Serial port plug and play

Btrigg

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002

I swear I just had a post up, and it was deleted for reasons unknown to me.
All I want to know is if there is a way to enable pnp for serial ports. I've
read in the installation for one of the devices, that windows should
recognize that something is there when a device is plugged in, and that if it
doesn't there is a deeper problem. So here I am asking the question. I've
had one of the two serial devices working before, so why windows doesn't
recognize it now. I've enabled it in the bios, I have two com ports
installed in device manager, neither of them will recognize anything I put in
them. I guess BOTH of them could be broken, but I feel this is unlikely. Is
there any reason xp doesn't see anything plugged into these ports?

bar

Quickest way to check if the serial port works:

Get yourself a serial port mouse...most people have an old one lying around.

Unplug your PS/2 mouse, plug in the serial mouse.

Boot to Windows....if the mouse is detected then your serial port works: if
not the port are dead.

Other ways and means require buying testing software and special plugs for
the serail port.

Now double check the serial port settings in BIOS [set it back to defaults
if you have any options available.

btrigg wrote:

> I swear I just had a post up, and it was deleted for reasons unknown to me.
> All I want to know is if there is a way to enable pnp for serial ports. I've
> read in the installation for one of the devices, that windows should
> recognize that something is there when a device is plugged in, and that if it
> doesn't there is a deeper problem. So here I am asking the question. I've
> had one of the two serial devices working before, so why windows doesn't
> recognize it now. I've enabled it in the bios, I have two com ports
> installed in device manager, neither of them will recognize anything I put in
> them. I guess BOTH of them could be broken, but I feel this is unlikely. Is
> there any reason xp doesn't see anything plugged into these ports?

XP will only recognize a serial device if it is connected and powered on
when you boot the computer. Otherwise you might try to detect new
hardware but this may or may not work.

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Serial mice are very hard to find these days. You might want to try
the guys over at hardwarecooling.com they have the Belkin Black Serial
Mouse priced at $5.99.
http://www.hardwarecooling.com/product_info.php/cPath/92/products_id/443