P2B with Asus 64 mb V8420 GEFORCE4 TI4200 AGP video card?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2005 4:26:47 PM

I tried installing this and it was a disaster. It would't display anything
in analogue or digital. What's much worse though is that when I put my old
card in Win2k wouldn't load. I had to use a PCI video card then migrate as
a dual monitor setup. Does anyone have a clue what happened?
March 31, 2005 10:58:07 PM

with the limited info supplies my guess is that the old and new video
drivers
conflicted and it is possible that is why it would not boot or the video
card is the wrong voltage for the p2b board.
"sdlfkj" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message
>I tried installing this and it was a disaster. It would't display anything
> in analogue or digital. What's much worse though is that when I put my
> old
> card in Win2k wouldn't load. I had to use a PCI video card then migrate
> as
> a dual monitor setup. Does anyone have a clue what happened?

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2005 12:58:13 AM

> > I tried installing this and it was a disaster. It would't display
anything
> > in analogue or digital. What's much worse though is that when I put my
> > old card in Win2k wouldn't load. I had to use a PCI video card then
> > migrate as a dual monitor setup. Does anyone have a clue what happened?
> >

> with the limited info supplies my guess is that the old and new video
drivers
> conflicted and it is possible that is why it would not boot or the video
> card is the wrong voltage for the p2b board.

That's what I thought. Is there a website with compatibility tables for
the P2B and AGP video cards? I've also got an Asus A7NBX which I'm
just building up.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2005 12:34:44 AM

Is the GeForce$ card backwards compatible with an AGP2x board? Because
the P2B board can only do AGP2x.

sdlfkj wrote:
> I tried installing this and it was a disaster. It would't display anything
> in analogue or digital. What's much worse though is that when I put my old
> card in Win2k wouldn't load. I had to use a PCI video card then migrate as
> a dual monitor setup. Does anyone have a clue what happened?

April 2, 2005 5:07:19 AM

I did run a geforce 256 in the p2b with no problems I have a ati 32 rage in
it now.

"sdlfkj" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message
>I tried installing this and it was a disaster. It would't display anything
> in analogue or digital. What's much worse though is that when I put my
> old
> card in Win2k wouldn't load. I had to use a PCI video card then migrate
> as
> a dual monitor setup. Does anyone have a clue what happened?

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2005 4:47:59 PM

> > I tried installing this and it was a disaster. It would't display
anything
> > in analogue or digital. What's much worse though is that when I put my
> > old card in Win2k wouldn't load. I had to use a PCI video card then
migrate
> > as a dual monitor setup. Does anyone have a clue what happened?
> >
> I did run a geforce 256 in the p2b with no problems I have a ati 32 rage
in
> it now.

I found out that the P2B has a 2x AGP slot. My video card was a 4x. Hence
the problem. Maybe you have a 4x AGP slot P2B?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2005 10:55:22 PM

sdlfkj wrote:
>>>I tried installing this and it was a disaster. It would't display
>
> anything
>
>>>in analogue or digital. What's much worse though is that when I put my
>>>old card in Win2k wouldn't load. I had to use a PCI video card then
>
> migrate
>
>>>as a dual monitor setup. Does anyone have a clue what happened?
>>>

>>I did run a geforce 256 in the p2b with no problems I have a ati 32 rage
>
> in
>
>>it now.
>>

> I found out that the P2B has a 2x AGP slot. My video card was a 4x. Hence
> the problem. Maybe you have a 4x AGP slot P2B?

Doesn't matter, most AGP 4X or 8X cards will work in a 2X slot. All P2B
boards (and others with the 440BX chipset) are AGP 2X.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
a b U Graphics card

Robert Hancock wrote:

>> anything

>> migrate

>>> I did run a geforce 256 in the p2b with no problems I have a ati 32 rage
>>

>> in
>>
>>> it now.
>>>

>> I found out that the P2B has a 2x AGP slot. My video card was a 4x.
>> Hence
>> the problem. Maybe you have a 4x AGP slot P2B?
>>

> Doesn't matter, most AGP 4X or 8X cards will work in a 2X slot. All P2B
> boards (and others with the 440BX chipset) are AGP 2X.

....and a quick visit to Google Groups will confirm the TI4200 AGP has
been reported to work on P2B series boards by numerous posters.

Driver conflict remains as the most likely cause of the OP's problem.

P2B
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2005 7:02:23 PM

> > anything

> > migrate

> >>I did run a geforce 256 in the p2b with no problems I have a ati 32 rage
> >
> > in
> >
> >>it now.
> >>

> > I found out that the P2B has a 2x AGP slot. My video card was a 4x. Hence
> > the problem. Maybe you have a 4x AGP slot P2B?
> >

> Doesn't matter, most AGP 4X or 8X cards will work in a 2X slot. All P2B
> boards (and others with the 440BX chipset) are AGP 2X.

Rob, I wonder why your newsreader is double spacing my original post? This happened
before with someone else. What newsreader are you using?
So if most 4x or 8x cards should work, could it be that my bios is too old? This is
the total info I could get for the mb/bios combo.
"ASUS P2B rev 1.04, Award Modular Bios v4.51 PG ACPI Bios Revision 1006 10/09/98
i440BX"
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2005 1:52:03 AM

sdlfkj wrote:

>>>anything

>>>migrate

>>>in

>>>I found out that the P2B has a 2x AGP slot. My video card was a 4x. Hence
>>>the problem. Maybe you have a 4x AGP slot P2B?
>>>

>>Doesn't matter, most AGP 4X or 8X cards will work in a 2X slot. All P2B
>>boards (and others with the 440BX chipset) are AGP 2X.
>>

> Rob, I wonder why your newsreader is double spacing my original post? This happened
> before with someone else. What newsreader are you using?
> So if most 4x or 8x cards should work, could it be that my bios is too old? This is
> the total info I could get for the mb/bios combo.
> "ASUS P2B rev 1.04, Award Modular Bios v4.51 PG ACPI Bios Revision 1006 10/09/98
> i440BX"

Possible - the oldest BIOS I recall having seen on a P2B was 1009. I
recommend updating to the latest (last) P2B BIOS, if only to eliminate
BIOS as the cause - and gain significantly improved CPU and large disk
support:

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_I/INTEL_Chip...

P2B
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2005 10:35:40 PM

http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/product_overview_nvidi... says that
the V8420 GF4 TI4200 works with AGP 8x/4x/2x.

I guess compatibility is not an issue then.

sdlfkj wrote:

>>>anything

>>>migrate

>>>in

>>>I found out that the P2B has a 2x AGP slot. My video card was a 4x. Hence
>>>the problem. Maybe you have a 4x AGP slot P2B?
>>>

>>Doesn't matter, most AGP 4X or 8X cards will work in a 2X slot. All P2B
>>boards (and others with the 440BX chipset) are AGP 2X.
>>

> Rob, I wonder why your newsreader is double spacing my original post? This happened
> before with someone else. What newsreader are you using?
> So if most 4x or 8x cards should work, could it be that my bios is too old? This is
> the total info I could get for the mb/bios combo.
> "ASUS P2B rev 1.04, Award Modular Bios v4.51 PG ACPI Bios Revision 1006 10/09/98
> i440BX"

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2005 2:31:59 AM

sdlfkj wrote:

>>ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_I/INTEL_Chip...
>

> Why would someone choose the file "without hardware monitor"?

Asus manufactured some OEM P2B boards without hardware monitoring
capability. They won't POST if you flash the standard P2B BIOS.

P2B
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2005 3:09:03 PM

> >>ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_I/INTEL_Chip...
> >
> > Why would someone choose the file "without hardware monitor"?
>
> Asus manufactured some OEM P2B boards without hardware monitoring
> capability. They won't POST if you flash the standard P2B BIOS.

Any idea if this one has hardware monitoring?
ASUS P2B rev 1.04, Award Modular Bios v4.51 PG ACPI Bios Revision 1006 10/09/98
i440BX
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 7, 2005 12:18:50 AM

sdlfkj wrote:

>>>Why would someone choose the file "without hardware monitor"?
>>
>>Asus manufactured some OEM P2B boards without hardware monitoring
>>capability. They won't POST if you flash the standard P2B BIOS.
>

> Any idea if this one has hardware monitoring?
> ASUS P2B rev 1.04, Award Modular Bios v4.51 PG ACPI Bios Revision 1006 10/09/98
> i440BX

Go to the Power Management page of the BIOS. If you see a column of
power supply voltages, system temperatures, and fan speeds on the right
hand side, you have hardware monitoring.

P2B
!