P5AD2-E Premium and CHA_FAN2 connector.

When I connect a Fan to the CHA_FAN2 connector I don’t get any RPM
reading in BIOS, when I move the same fan to the CHA_FAN1 connector
there is no problem, so the fan is okay.
Is this a common issue for all you ASUS users out there, or is there
something with my motherboard?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-P5AD2-Premium-CHA_FAN2-connector-ftopict51667.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=251063

Paul

Splendid

In article <7_251063_ffc3e726c1ade1074f8e14d54c96740a@hardwareforumz.com>,
pfm <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

> When I connect a Fan to the CHA_FAN2 connector I don’t get any RPM
> reading in BIOS, when I move the same fan to the CHA_FAN1 connector
> there is no problem, so the fan is okay.
> Is this a common issue for all you ASUS users out there, or is there
> something with my motherboard?

A normal motherboard has three fan headers, and the monitor in
the SuperI/O chip has three channels for the three fans.
The SuperI/O chip on your board is in the upper right
corner - there is no picture of the motherboard in the manual,
but if you examine the motherboard yourself, you may find the
datasheet for the SuperI/O on this page. Simply read the document
and see whether the SuperI/O chip has four channels or only
three. If the SuperI/O can only monitor three channels, that
will explain why CHA_FAN2 is not monitored.

http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/view.phtml?name=PCIC

Paul

Mine is the same, I just assumed there was no provision for monitoring the
#2 fan

"Paul4" wrote:
> In article
> <7_251063_ffc3e726c1ade1074f8e14d54c96740a@hardwareforumz.com>,
> pfm <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
>
> > When I connect a Fan to the CHA_FAN2 connector I don’t get
> any RPM
> > reading in BIOS, when I move the same fan to the CHA_FAN1
> connector
> > there is no problem, so the fan is okay.
> > Is this a common issue for all you ASUS users out there, or
> is there
> > something with my motherboard?
>
> A normal motherboard has three fan headers, and the monitor in
>
> the SuperI/O chip has three channels for the three fans.
> The SuperI/O chip on your board is in the upper right
> corner - there is no picture of the motherboard in the manual,
> but if you examine the motherboard yourself, you may find the
> datasheet for the SuperI/O on this page. Simply read the
> document
> and see whether the SuperI/O chip has four channels or only
> three. If the SuperI/O can only monitor three channels, that
> will explain why CHA_FAN2 is not monitored.
>
> http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/view.phtml?name=PCIC
>
> Paul

The Winbond Chip on the board is not in the list, it’s W83627EHF-A,
but I just came accross the following info:

The Winbond W83627EHF-A chip is used to monitor:

CPU voltage, +3,3, +5 and +12 V
RPM of 4 fans (with an option to enable Q-Fan for two of them)
CPU and board temperatures (by the corresponding embedded sensors)

So can it be the BIOS or what? I wrote ASUS for ong time ago, but no
respond!!

Thanks for the answers.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-P5AD2-Premium-CHA_FAN2-connector-ftopict51667.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=251170

Paul

Splendid

In article <7_251170_2a2d0aede3a2602f5e0607cdfd55c3de@hardwareforumz.com>,
pfm <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

> "Paul4" wrote:
> > In article
> > <7_251063_ffc3e726c1ade1074f8e14d54c96740a@hardwareforumz.com>,
> > pfm <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
> >
> > > When I connect a Fan to the CHA_FAN2 connector I don’t get
> > any RPM
> > > reading in BIOS, when I move the same fan to the CHA_FAN1
> > connector
> > > there is no problem, so the fan is okay.
> > > Is this a common issue for all you ASUS users out there, or
> > is there
> > > something with my motherboard?
> >
> > A normal motherboard has three fan headers, and the monitor in
> >
> > the SuperI/O chip has three channels for the three fans.
> > The SuperI/O chip on your board is in the upper right
> > corner - there is no picture of the motherboard in the manual,
> > but if you examine the motherboard yourself, you may find the
> > datasheet for the SuperI/O on this page. Simply read the
> > document
> > and see whether the SuperI/O chip has four channels or only
> > three. If the SuperI/O can only monitor three channels, that
> > will explain why CHA_FAN2 is not monitored.
> >
> > http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/view.phtml?name=PCIC
> >
> > Paul
>
> The Winbond Chip on the board is not in the list, it’s W83627EHF-A,
> but I just came accross the following info:
>
> The Winbond W83627EHF-A chip is used to monitor:
>
> CPU voltage, +3,3, +5 and +12 V
> RPM of 4 fans (with an option to enable Q-Fan for two of them)
> CPU and board temperatures (by the corresponding embedded sensors)
>
> So can it be the BIOS or what? I wrote ASUS for ong time ago, but no
> respond!!
>
> Thanks for the answers.

Interesting. A "secret" chip :)

I notice the Mar15/2005 update to Speedfan supports that chip.
De-install Asus Probe and try Speedfan, and see if you can see
all four channels that way.

Asus is constantly working on Asus Probe, so eventually some
update will fix it. For the BIOS, it could be that Award/AMI
hasn't added support for the chip yet. Asus BIOS are built on
a core provided by AMI/Award, so Asus doesn't fix all problems
themselves.

Good luck,
Paul