Audiophile 2496 XP driver problems.

August 19, 2004 5:15:15 PM

Hi,

I am trying to complete a hardware fix on a friends XP SP1 box and we're
having troubles with the soundcard.

We know the soundcard works 100%. It's been tested in other boxes and all is
well.

Basically, XP won't recognise any of the drivers we try and install for the
card. Neither new drivers from the manufacturers website or the ones that
came supplied on CD. I keep getting the message: 'Software contains no
information about your hardware' but every now and then it actually
recognises it.

I was thinking software conflict.He did have McAfee installed which was
subsequently removed and the card worked for a while.

So we rebooted, but the card dropped out again and shows up as Multimedia
Controller in device manager with the yellow question mark. Now it won't
take any of the drivers.

I'm wondering if it's the Motherboard. Recently he lost a hard drive to a
kernel error which I whittled down to either a bad disk, bad IDE controller
or boot sector virus. In any case it was fried so we needed to replace it.
Earlier however his CDRW decided to give up the ghost too and that was
replaced.

Any ideas? The machine has been recently formatted with XP and SP1 updates
installed (no SP2 yet) and has no ambiguous software installed other than
Winamp which we installed to test sound functionality.

thanks.
August 19, 2004 5:15:16 PM

Are you sure that it's not the motherboard.

After all you report that hard drives died and a CD was replaced.

Now you have a PCI iinterface card not working.

Try moving the card to another 'slot'.

"tharliebalfa" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to complete a hardware fix on a friends XP SP1 box and we're
> having troubles with the soundcard.
>
> We know the soundcard works 100%. It's been tested in other boxes and all is
> well.
>
> Basically, XP won't recognise any of the drivers we try and install for the
> card. Neither new drivers from the manufacturers website or the ones that
> came supplied on CD. I keep getting the message: 'Software contains no
> information about your hardware' but every now and then it actually
> recognises it.
>
> I was thinking software conflict.He did have McAfee installed which was
> subsequently removed and the card worked for a while.
>
> So we rebooted, but the card dropped out again and shows up as Multimedia
> Controller in device manager with the yellow question mark. Now it won't
> take any of the drivers.
>
> I'm wondering if it's the Motherboard. Recently he lost a hard drive to a
> kernel error which I whittled down to either a bad disk, bad IDE controller
> or boot sector virus. In any case it was fried so we needed to replace it.
> Earlier however his CDRW decided to give up the ghost too and that was
> replaced.
>
> Any ideas? The machine has been recently formatted with XP and SP1 updates
> installed (no SP2 yet) and has no ambiguous software installed other than
> Winamp which we installed to test sound functionality.
>
> thanks.

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 2:56:44 PM

Hi,

yeah, I moved it round to about 3 different slots, still the same problem.

Looks like its the mobo.

:(

!