wireless network and cable modem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 25, 2005 9:01:02 PM

I've been going through discussion after discusussion and can't find a
solution to my problem. I have a Desktop and Notebook each running XP Home. I
had a cross over ethernet cable connected to the network cards in each, both
C: (local) drives shared with full network access and no problems with
communications. I was running dial up internet on each (I just plugged the
phone cable into the computer I needed to use to get on line). Adelphia came
out and set me up with a Motorola SB5100 cable modem and a Belkin highspeed
mode wireless G router and installed a Belkin wireless ethernet card in my
Desktop and a Belkin wireless PCMCIA network card in my Notebook. Now the
Desktop gets on line, the notebook was able to get on line immediately after
the tech left but the two computers don't talk to each other. The Notebook
will see both but will not access the Desktop (Permission level error) and
the Desktop sees neither the notebook or itself. In fact when I click View
Workgroup it gives me a persmission error. Neither has a password an both are
logged in as the administrator level user (The desktop is the default
administrator and the notebook is the name I used when setting it up who is
and administrator). I can't get the communication using wireless or wired.
Also, the firewall is Windows' and I tried disabling it but that didn't make
a difference.
Please help.
Thank you.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 10:36:08 PM

1) Make sure your 2 computers are named different
2) Make sure both computers are part of the same workgroup
3) Run the wireless networking wizard in control pannel.
4) Turn on printer and file sharing services
5) Goto each hard drive and enable sharing there

Try those and get back to us with the results....

"pizoncc66" <pizoncc66@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been going through discussion after discusussion and can't find a
> solution to my problem. I have a Desktop and Notebook each running XP
> Home. I
> had a cross over ethernet cable connected to the network cards in each,
> both
> C: (local) drives shared with full network access and no problems with
> communications. I was running dial up internet on each (I just plugged the
> phone cable into the computer I needed to use to get on line). Adelphia
> came
> out and set me up with a Motorola SB5100 cable modem and a Belkin
> highspeed
> mode wireless G router and installed a Belkin wireless ethernet card in my
> Desktop and a Belkin wireless PCMCIA network card in my Notebook. Now the
> Desktop gets on line, the notebook was able to get on line immediately
> after
> the tech left but the two computers don't talk to each other. The Notebook
> will see both but will not access the Desktop (Permission level error) and
> the Desktop sees neither the notebook or itself. In fact when I click View
> Workgroup it gives me a persmission error. Neither has a password an both
> are
> logged in as the administrator level user (The desktop is the default
> administrator and the notebook is the name I used when setting it up who
> is
> and administrator). I can't get the communication using wireless or wired.
> Also, the firewall is Windows' and I tried disabling it but that didn't
> make
> a difference.
> Please help.
> Thank you.
January 26, 2005 5:02:12 AM

Hi

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"pizoncc66" <pizoncc66@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been going through discussion after discusussion and can't find a
> solution to my problem. I have a Desktop and Notebook each running XP
Home. I
> had a cross over ethernet cable connected to the network cards in each,
both
> C: (local) drives shared with full network access and no problems with
> communications. I was running dial up internet on each (I just plugged the
> phone cable into the computer I needed to use to get on line). Adelphia
came
> out and set me up with a Motorola SB5100 cable modem and a Belkin
highspeed
> mode wireless G router and installed a Belkin wireless ethernet card in my
> Desktop and a Belkin wireless PCMCIA network card in my Notebook. Now the
> Desktop gets on line, the notebook was able to get on line immediately
after
> the tech left but the two computers don't talk to each other. The Notebook
> will see both but will not access the Desktop (Permission level error) and
> the Desktop sees neither the notebook or itself. In fact when I click View
> Workgroup it gives me a persmission error. Neither has a password an both
are
> logged in as the administrator level user (The desktop is the default
> administrator and the notebook is the name I used when setting it up who
is
> and administrator). I can't get the communication using wireless or wired.
> Also, the firewall is Windows' and I tried disabling it but that didn't
make
> a difference.
> Please help.
> Thank you.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:05:06 AM

I have already checked all the items you suggested. In fact I had a wired
network (direct with a cross over cable, no hub/switch) setup and working on
these two computers for a year before a tech came in and setup the Cable
modem with router. I think something in the software for the cable modem or
the wireless router, or something in the setups changed permissions.
Unfortunately, I spoke to the guy who did the setup and he doesn't know why
it's not working. Also, I'm really confused as to why the Desktop does not
allow me to view Workgroup computers (when I click that icon it gives me a
permission error). Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank
you.

!