Slow ATAPI / IDE Hard disk

I noticed after upgrading to SP2 my Maxtor 6Y120P0 becomes extremely slow (
running on PIO mode )
it took me a while to find out what caused this slow behavious however i
found similar symptoms in KB 817472

which explains why windows XP SP2 acted way slower than SP1
I applied the temp solution explain in KB 817472 ( uninstalling IDE
controller driver ) but it seems that the problems keeps showing up again and
again

right now i applied some registery modification by setting
ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess to 1 in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x

I hope this will fix the problem
i ll report back if anything new appears

P.S. this problem never appeard previously it only showed up after
installing SP2

it didnt work either
that reg fix made PC freez on errors instead of slowing it down to PIO

"bazzoola" wrote:

> I noticed after upgrading to SP2 my Maxtor 6Y120P0 becomes extremely slow (
> running on PIO mode )
> it took me a while to find out what caused this slow behavious however i
> found similar symptoms in KB 817472
>
> which explains why windows XP SP2 acted way slower than SP1
> I applied the temp solution explain in KB 817472 ( uninstalling IDE
> controller driver ) but it seems that the problems keeps showing up again and
> again
>
> right now i applied some registery modification by setting
> ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess to 1 in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x
>
> I hope this will fix the problem
> i ll report back if anything new appears
>
> P.S. this problem never appeard previously it only showed up after
> installing SP2

after testing this problem for two days and reinstalling the OS several times
it seems that SP2 deals differently with my atapi and ide drives
and it is causing instability.

when using SP1 my hdd runs on UDMA mode 5 which is ata100
although the hdd and the motherboard supports ata133
i am guessing that sp1 does not go beyond mode 5
however after installing sp2. at first the hdd runs on UDMA mode 5 which is
ata133 but then after few reboots i get many errors in the event log then it
downgrades the hdd to PIO and doesnt go back unless i uninstall the driver

if anyone knows how to submit a problem like this to microsoft so they can
look into it deeper please let me know.

hard disk: Maxtor 6Y120P0
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SD533 (SIS 645 chipset)
cable: 80 pins
bios : tried using IDE on auto mode and on 66/100/133 ATA

"bazzoola" wrote:

> I noticed after upgrading to SP2 my Maxtor 6Y120P0 becomes extremely slow (
> running on PIO mode )
> it took me a while to find out what caused this slow behavious however i
> found similar symptoms in KB 817472
>
> which explains why windows XP SP2 acted way slower than SP1
> I applied the temp solution explain in KB 817472 ( uninstalling IDE
> controller driver ) but it seems that the problems keeps showing up again and
> again
>
> right now i applied some registery modification by setting
> ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess to 1 in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x
>
> I hope this will fix the problem
> i ll report back if anything new appears
>
> P.S. this problem never appeard previously it only showed up after
> installing SP2

bazzoola,

I'm running Serial ATA 150 drives with an Albatron PX865PE Pro Ver 2 mobo
and they are indicated to be in UDMA 5 mode. I *think* that's the maximum
it'll show in XP due to Windows shell design unless someone corrects me on
this (and I'd be grateful also if there's a fix to it so the absolute
correct UDMA value is shown).

Nospam

"bazzoola" <bazzoola@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> after testing this problem for two days and reinstalling the OS several
> times
> it seems that SP2 deals differently with my atapi and ide drives
> and it is causing instability.
>
> when using SP1 my hdd runs on UDMA mode 5 which is ata100
> although the hdd and the motherboard supports ata133
> i am guessing that sp1 does not go beyond mode 5
> however after installing sp2. at first the hdd runs on UDMA mode 5 which
> is
> ata133 but then after few reboots i get many errors in the event log then
> it
> downgrades the hdd to PIO and doesnt go back unless i uninstall the driver
>
> if anyone knows how to submit a problem like this to microsoft so they can
> look into it deeper please let me know.
>
> hard disk: Maxtor 6Y120P0
> motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SD533 (SIS 645 chipset)
> cable: 80 pins
> bios : tried using IDE on auto mode and on 66/100/133 ATA
>

> "bazzoola" wrote:
>
>> I noticed after upgrading to SP2 my Maxtor 6Y120P0 becomes extremely slow
>> (
>> running on PIO mode )
>> it took me a while to find out what caused this slow behavious however i
>> found similar symptoms in KB 817472
>>
>> which explains why windows XP SP2 acted way slower than SP1
>> I applied the temp solution explain in KB 817472 ( uninstalling IDE
>> controller driver ) but it seems that the problems keeps showing up again
>> and
>> again
>>
>> right now i applied some registery modification by setting
>> ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess to 1 in
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x
>>
>> I hope this will fix the problem
>> i ll report back if anything new appears
>>
>> P.S. this problem never appeard previously it only showed up after
>> installing SP2

Actually, you won't hit higher than UDMA 5 unless you are in RAID. If
you were to use Everest Home from www.lavalys.com, you would most likely
see that your computer is currently running in DMA Mode 5 and supports a
max of DMA Mode 6. The internal speed of a disk is around 60-70 MB/s.
Most drives don't even perform at UDMA 66 speeds (although there are
bursts that reach over that speed).

----
Nathan McNulty

Nospam wrote:
> bazzoola,
>
> I'm running Serial ATA 150 drives with an Albatron PX865PE Pro Ver 2 mobo
> and they are indicated to be in UDMA 5 mode. I *think* that's the maximum
> it'll show in XP due to Windows shell design unless someone corrects me on
> this (and I'd be grateful also if there's a fix to it so the absolute
> correct UDMA value is shown).
>
> Nospam
>
> "bazzoola" <bazzoola@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>after testing this problem for two days and reinstalling the OS several
>>times
>>it seems that SP2 deals differently with my atapi and ide drives
>>and it is causing instability.
>>
>>when using SP1 my hdd runs on UDMA mode 5 which is ata100
>>although the hdd and the motherboard supports ata133
>>i am guessing that sp1 does not go beyond mode 5
>>however after installing sp2. at first the hdd runs on UDMA mode 5 which
>>is
>>ata133 but then after few reboots i get many errors in the event log then
>>it
>>downgrades the hdd to PIO and doesnt go back unless i uninstall the driver
>>
>>if anyone knows how to submit a problem like this to microsoft so they can
>>look into it deeper please let me know.
>>
>>hard disk: Maxtor 6Y120P0
>>motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SD533 (SIS 645 chipset)
>>cable: 80 pins
>>bios : tried using IDE on auto mode and on 66/100/133 ATA
>>

>>"bazzoola" wrote:
>>

>>>I noticed after upgrading to SP2 my Maxtor 6Y120P0 becomes extremely slow
>>>(
>>>running on PIO mode )
>>>it took me a while to find out what caused this slow behavious however i
>>>found similar symptoms in KB 817472
>>>
>>>which explains why windows XP SP2 acted way slower than SP1
>>>I applied the temp solution explain in KB 817472 ( uninstalling IDE
>>>controller driver ) but it seems that the problems keeps showing up again
>>>and
>>>again
>>>
>>>right now i applied some registery modification by setting
>>>ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess to 1 in
>>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x
>>>
>>>I hope this will fix the problem
>>>i ll report back if anything new appears
>>>
>>>P.S. this problem never appeard previously it only showed up after
>>>installing SP2

I am positive I saw UDMA 6 when i first installed sp2
but after that the hdd becomes exteremly slow due errors log on system event
viewer and then it only runs on PIO
I believe its a compatibility issue since microsoft had similar issues prior
to sp2 when they posted a hotfix i posted KB# in my 1st post.

I wouldnt mind running on UDMA5 however sp2 acts differently and it only
allows PIO like i decribed before.

if you know i can send this info to microsoft please give me an email or
address.
Thanks alot for your concern.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Actually, you won't hit higher than UDMA 5 unless you are in RAID. If
> you were to use Everest Home from www.lavalys.com, you would most likely
> see that your computer is currently running in DMA Mode 5 and supports a
> max of DMA Mode 6. The internal speed of a disk is around 60-70 MB/s.
> Most drives don't even perform at UDMA 66 speeds (although there are
> bursts that reach over that speed).
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Nospam wrote:
> > bazzoola,
> >
> > I'm running Serial ATA 150 drives with an Albatron PX865PE Pro Ver 2 mobo
> > and they are indicated to be in UDMA 5 mode. I *think* that's the maximum
> > it'll show in XP due to Windows shell design unless someone corrects me on
> > this (and I'd be grateful also if there's a fix to it so the absolute
> > correct UDMA value is shown).
> >
> > Nospam
> >
> > "bazzoola" <bazzoola@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>after testing this problem for two days and reinstalling the OS several
> >>times
> >>it seems that SP2 deals differently with my atapi and ide drives
> >>and it is causing instability.
> >>
> >>when using SP1 my hdd runs on UDMA mode 5 which is ata100
> >>although the hdd and the motherboard supports ata133
> >>i am guessing that sp1 does not go beyond mode 5
> >>however after installing sp2. at first the hdd runs on UDMA mode 5 which
> >>is
> >>ata133 but then after few reboots i get many errors in the event log then
> >>it
> >>downgrades the hdd to PIO and doesnt go back unless i uninstall the driver
> >>
> >>if anyone knows how to submit a problem like this to microsoft so they can
> >>look into it deeper please let me know.
> >>
> >>hard disk: Maxtor 6Y120P0
> >>motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SD533 (SIS 645 chipset)
> >>cable: 80 pins
> >>bios : tried using IDE on auto mode and on 66/100/133 ATA

Bazzoola,

> I wouldnt mind running on UDMA5 however sp2 acts differently and it
only
> allows PIO like i decribed before.

I am seeing similar behavior from SP2 on my Secondary IDE channel and
my NEC-1300A DVD+/-RW. Pre-SP2 XP used DMA on this device. Post SP2,
setting is switched to PIO only and nothing I can do will get XP to
use DMA again on this device as long as SP2 is installed. I had to
uninstall SP2 and change the setting back to 'DMA if available' in
order to get things working again.

I have not noticed this issue on my Primary IDE channel, only on my
Seconday.

---
Papaboojum