A8N-SLi RAM SETTING IN BIOS - SUB MENU?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I seem to recall reading that there is a an extra hidden menu in the bIOS to
allow altering the settings for RAM,.

I would like to up the voltage a little. Where is the setting please?

Jon

Paul

Splendid

In article <424c981b$0$291$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "3200+"
<nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> I seem to recall reading that there is a an extra hidden menu in the bIOS to
> allow altering the settings for RAM,.
>
> I would like to up the voltage a little. Where is the setting please?
>
> Jon

Section 4.4.4 in the manual. "Jumperfree config"

Paul

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

> In article <424c981b$0$291$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "3200+"
> <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > I seem to recall reading that there is a an extra hidden menu in the
bIOS to
> > allow altering the settings for RAM,.
> >
> > I would like to up the voltage a little. Where is the setting please?
> >
> > Jon
>
> Section 4.4.4 in the manual. "Jumperfree config"
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul, but I recall it was a menu that could not be accessed until you
hit a certain combination of keys, like CTRL-F1 for example.

Maybe I dreamed it?

Jon

Paul

Splendid

In article <424cf750$0$298$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "3200+"
<nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> > In article <424c981b$0$291$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "3200+"
> > <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I seem to recall reading that there is a an extra hidden menu in the
> bIOS to
> > > allow altering the settings for RAM,.
> > >
> > > I would like to up the voltage a little. Where is the setting please?
> > >
> > > Jon
> >
> > Section 4.4.4 in the manual. "Jumperfree config"
> >
> > Paul
>
> Thanks Paul, but I recall it was a menu that could not be accessed until you
> hit a certain combination of keys, like CTRL-F1 for example.
>
> Maybe I dreamed it?
>
> Jon

First of all, I don't own the board, so my comments are
just general ones.

You want to be in Advanced:Jumperfree_config

Look first at the "Overclocking Profile". That setting or one
with a similar name, if you set it to [Manual], will cause
other settings to magically appear. Asus does that, so a
noob will not get themselves into trouble. When everything
is set at Auto, very few useful settings will be revealed.
As you change the BIOS settings to [Manual], all sorts of
cool stuff will be revealed. Go through the BIOS and
try changing an Auto setting to Manual, and see what appears.

For RAM settings, there is a tool called A64tweaker, that
claims to be able to change RAM settings while in Windows.
I don't know if it changes the voltage or not, but it
should allow experimenting with CAS, Trp, etc. How that
is possible is a mystery, as a DDR DRAM controller should
lose all contents of memory, if the standardized JEDEC
startup sequence for the RAM is respected.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91076&highlight=a64tweaker

Paul

3200+ wrote:

>>>I would like to up the voltage a little. Where is the setting please?
>>
>>Section 4.4.4 in the manual. "Jumperfree config"
>>
>> Paul

> Thanks Paul, but I recall it was a menu that could not be accessed until you
> hit a certain combination of keys, like CTRL-F1 for example.
>
> Maybe I dreamed it?

How would Paul know... Was he in your dream too? ;)

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

> First of all, I don't own the board, so my comments are
> just general ones.
>
> You want to be in Advanced:Jumperfree_config
>
> Look first at the "Overclocking Profile". That setting or one
> with a similar name, if you set it to [Manual], will cause
> other settings to magically appear. Asus does that, so a
> noob will not get themselves into trouble. When everything
> is set at Auto, very few useful settings will be revealed.
> As you change the BIOS settings to [Manual], all sorts of
> cool stuff will be revealed. Go through the BIOS and
> try changing an Auto setting to Manual, and see what appears.
>
> For RAM settings, there is a tool called A64tweaker, that
> claims to be able to change RAM settings while in Windows.
> I don't know if it changes the voltage or not, but it
> should allow experimenting with CAS, Trp, etc. How that
> is possible is a mystery, as a DDR DRAM controller should
> lose all contents of memory, if the standardized JEDEC
> startup sequence for the RAM is respected.
>
> http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91076&highlight=a64tweaker
>
> Paul

Thank you Paul, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Jon