Need software for thorough memory and drive surface scan.

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2005 10:15:47 AM

In case no one noticed my other post, I'm looking for software to test
system RAM and drive surface errors. Something thorough if it's
available. Maxtor says their MAXBlast will do the drive scan but I
haven't tried it yet.

_R
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2005 10:49:29 AM

_R wrote:
> In case no one noticed my other post, I'm looking for software to test
> system RAM and drive surface errors. Something thorough if it's
> available. Maxtor says their MAXBlast will do the drive scan but I
> haven't tried it yet.
>
> _R

For RAM, see www.memtest.org for the current version of memtest86.

For HDs, go to each HD vendor's website for the vendor's diagnostic.
--
Cheers, Bob
Anonymous

_R wrote:
> In case no one noticed my other post, I'm looking for software to test
> system RAM and drive surface errors. Something thorough if it's
> available. Maxtor says their MAXBlast will do the drive scan but I
> haven't tried it yet.
>
> _R

I have always relied on Gibson Research's (www.grc.com) SpinRite for
drive testing, back to the days of DOS. They have recently updated the
program to work with NTFS and Linux partitions.
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2005 9:20:38 PM

_R wrote:
> In case no one noticed my other post, I'm looking for software to test
> system RAM and drive surface errors. Something thorough if it's
> available. Maxtor says their MAXBlast will do the drive scan but I
> haven't tried it yet.

Try powermax, not maxblast.
April 2, 2005 3:39:41 AM

www.memtest86.com