hard drive failed - how to access folders marked private

I had a hard drive failure and have since made that drive
my d partition to access the data prior to reformatting.
I have several folders that were marked private, how to
access these folders with that attribute turned on?
2 answers Last reply
More about hard drive failed access folders marked private

    If the drive failed, I am curious as to how it is working? Perhaps the use
    of failure is different where you are.

    Anyway, you are frtunate that the disk works and you can see the folders.

    How to take ownership of a folder
    Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has
    administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an
    account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

    If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File
    Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File sharing when it
    is not joined to a domain.

    For additional information about how to do this, click the following article
    number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    307874 How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared
    folder in Windows XP
    To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
    1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
    Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one
    appears).
    3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are
    logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to
    take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on
    subcontainers and objects check box.
    5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
    you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you
    Full Control?

    All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
    Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership
    of.
    6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you
    want for the folder and its contents.

    "cmart" wrote:

    > I had a hard drive failure and have since made that drive
    > my d partition to access the data prior to reformatting.
    > I have several folders that were marked private, how to
    > access these folders with that attribute turned on?

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823306

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    BAR wrote:
    > If the drive failed, I am curious as to how it is working? Perhaps the use
    > of failure is different where you are.
    >
    > Anyway, you are frtunate that the disk works and you can see the folders.
    >
    > How to take ownership of a folder
    > Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has
    > administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an
    > account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
    >
    > If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File
    > Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File sharing when it
    > is not joined to a domain.
    >
    > For additional information about how to do this, click the following article
    > number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    > 307874 How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared
    > folder in Windows XP
    > To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
    > 1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
    > Properties.
    > 2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one
    > appears).
    > 3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    > 4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are
    > logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to
    > take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on
    > subcontainers and objects check box.
    > 5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
    > you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you
    > Full Control?
    >
    > All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
    > Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership
    > of.
    > 6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you
    > want for the folder and its contents.
    >

    > "cmart" wrote:
    >

    >>I had a hard drive failure and have since made that drive
    >>my d partition to access the data prior to reformatting.
    >>I have several folders that were marked private, how to
    >>access these folders with that attribute turned on?

Hard Drives Windows XP