8X CD-RW/DVD Not Recognized

After following all given steps over a period of 3 days
and at least 14 hours, I cannot find the reason for my
DELL CD-RW/DVD not being recognized. Since last using it
in a port co-used with a floppy drive, I have updated from
WindowsME to XP 2002. The CD-RW unit worked when last
installed.

Can anyone tell me whether my CD-RW/DVD is compatible with
XP? I could not find it on any lists anywhere, and knowing
this bit of info would save a lot of hassle. Thanks.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi: try entering the BIOS, and check if the CDR is listed
as Secondary Master: set it to Auto (detect): it worked
for me when I installed a DVDRom as Secondary Master and
DVD Writer as slave.

Two things. First, have you installed all of the XP drivers for your
computer? That bay may require a driver that is preventing it from
working. Also, have you tried this?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

----
Nathan McNulty