Can't read data CDs

I have two CD drives on my PC. One is a read only device.
The other can read and write CD's. About a month ago I
noticed that neither drive could read a software
installation CD or any CD which has data files. When I try
to view them with Explorer Xp tells me I have an invalid
data format.

Before this happened, I've been able to burn (on the
burner drive) and read data CDs on both devices without
any issues.

Both drives appear to be working correctly mechanically
and I can copy a music CD. I know the data CDs are good
because I can read them on other PC's.

It almost seems as if some configuration on XP
became "hosed".

Any suggestions?

bar

Have you upgradeed or installed a 3rd party Burning Application such as Nero.

If so use System Restore to return the PC to its configurastion prior to
that application being installed.

"JPasternak" wrote:

> I have two CD drives on my PC. One is a read only device.
> The other can read and write CD's. About a month ago I
> noticed that neither drive could read a software
> installation CD or any CD which has data files. When I try
> to view them with Explorer Xp tells me I have an invalid
> data format.
>
> Before this happened, I've been able to burn (on the
> burner drive) and read data CDs on both devices without
> any issues.
>
> Both drives appear to be working correctly mechanically
> and I can copy a music CD. I know the data CDs are good
> because I can read them on other PC's.
>
> It almost seems as if some configuration on XP
> became "hosed".
>
> Any suggestions?

Also, take a look here and see if any of these suggestions work:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

----
Nathan McNulty

BAR wrote:
> Have you upgradeed or installed a 3rd party Burning Application such as Nero.
>
> If so use System Restore to return the PC to its configurastion prior to
> that application being installed.
>
> "JPasternak" wrote:
>

>>I have two CD drives on my PC. One is a read only device.
>>The other can read and write CD's. About a month ago I
>>noticed that neither drive could read a software
>>installation CD or any CD which has data files. When I try
>>to view them with Explorer Xp tells me I have an invalid
>>data format.
>>
>>Before this happened, I've been able to burn (on the
>>burner drive) and read data CDs on both devices without
>>any issues.
>>
>>Both drives appear to be working correctly mechanically
>>and I can copy a music CD. I know the data CDs are good
>>because I can read them on other PC's.
>>
>>It almost seems as if some configuration on XP
>>became "hosed".
>>
>>Any suggestions?

The plots thickens. This was all working with Nero
previously and I didn't upgrade that software. I have
since found that, even though I can't actually see the
data on the CD, I can copy data files to it via XP by
dragging them from one folder window to what looks like an
empty folder window on the CD.

Once the CD is created I can then view them and, in the
case of MP3 files, play them on another PC.